Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Myself and Wallysworld stalked a herd of fallow (12 in total)
    On 22mag on failing light it was only obvious 1 of them had small antlers.

I had to crawl 50 yards or so on my belt buckle to get a clear shot.

I'd normally go for a head shot; however on this occasion due to low light medium range 250yards i went with the safer boiler house shot.

Hornady 155grain soft nose .308

I owe wallysworld for helping me, it made this evenings work much easier on me when I had a hardy buck to help me drag a pricket across a large farm and over a few ditches (and helped me get him into the fridge :D )
    126302.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

there are a lot of cut fields around my house right now so i pulled in for a couple of bunny's. next thing i saw was mr fox just outside a grove about 200m away so i strolled away down towards him, putting the light on him every now and then to keep tabs on him.
    at about 150m away i sat down not wanting to push my luck, i left a little squeak out to get her attention.
    at the same time i flicked on my light and nailed her between the eyes with my 155gr hornady tap.
    with the mod on i got the report beck at the same time as the eyes vanished ;)
    job done.

pics are gory so be warned

huntingpics015.jpg

huntingpics016.jpg

huntingpics017.jpg

very happy with result
    and then i went back up to my jeep for the .22 to get the bunny's i was after in the first place

huntingpics019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

nice one, fine animal, hope you had some help gettin him back to jeep
    016vk.th.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was lucky got him on pasture at the edge of woods there were 5 of them this fella was locking horns with another necked him when they paused,308 dropped him on the spot from about 70 yards using 150gr fusions mushroomed perfect,no exit wound only a short drag thank god weighed about 170kg took four of us

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

70vpxy.jpg
    28hlg5s.jpg
    Seen 28 grouse in 3 days out an about 40 miles walked in 4 different spots of mine! Put up 16 in one spot alone yesterday, impossible to get near them when their in packs that large though, good experience for the dogs and good exercise for me none the less! Thats 24 grouse I know of that are safe till next year, have 5 or 6 other spots to try out yet. Was out with an uncle yesterday when we put up the big pack said he hadnt seen packs of grouse up there like that in 15 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

GWP Max wit his 1st deer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Was out in a dry moment to test my new Lanber - nice & easy. Started raining again, so could not stay out longer :eek:

10sept10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Had the evening off today so I went for a stalk, my first time since the third of september and conditions were perfect this evening!

Not far into the grounds where I shoot myself and a friend spotted a deer across a valley, upon further inspection we seen that it was a nice young pricket so we headed in for a closer position, after a short stalk we got to 210 yards of the young deer. I got set for the shot as the deer had became aware of us but while aiming at the deer I noticed a set of antlers popping through the rushed.

A stag jumped up from the drain and both pricket and buck headed away up the hill. At 260 yards the buck turned for one look back at us, just enough time to send a 140 grain SST towards his shoulder!! He fell down a 20ft bank and never got up.

022bdd.jpg

018ibr.jpg

019cqf.jpg

We could not get over the size of this fallow, bigger than any others seen or shot in the area, and also had a large amount of fat on him!
    Really happy with my .270 now!:D

A good sized "buck" is a big animal, not to be sneezed at.
    If the conditions allow they can grow quite big. Dismissing Fallow out of hand would be

FALLOWDEER_pg.jpg

My biggest "bucks" antlers were not as palmated as this however it was very heavy.
    As a lot of the deer in my area eat the best of barley they are in great condition and thrive.
    Deer on the "mountain" (midlands are only big hills) the deer have not as much food so they are generally thinner that the "plains" deer (for lack of a better term to describe deer which live on the flat ground which the midlands is full of.

I was going through a few old school pics from my younger Stalking days, Not my first deer, but my first deer where I did it all by myself. Except the jeep was a mates as I only had a motorbike in those days ;)
    127775.jpg

poor quality pic as I only scanned the orig this morning

This lad stepped out in front of me this evening.. first shot off the shoulder with the LRS2... bit awkward but got the job done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

well lads, we had a smashing day down in kerry and ended up with a nice stag to boot.
    we had to drag this lad back threw some bog. but we got him out eventually:D
    thanks to 4gun for a great day
    iphonesept10008.jpg

iphonesept10006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

[IMG][/img]f8bdc443.jpg

Lads lookin trim for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

[IMG][/img]516695bb.jpg

Snap from a days warm up training. Nice backing seen today n plenty of young birds. Signs r good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

took this lad from 70 yards and hit him straight in the head with a 40 gr winchester sub sonic. delighted!!:D sorry pic is abit small

My personal best, .223 55rain moly, 457yards bunny.
    Nightforce 8-32x56NXS
    Remington VSSF II
    ASE ULTRA S7 Moderator

Camera Fuji Finepix.
    Range finder Nikon Buckmasters 800.

It was not long after a thunder storm so the air was nice, 1002hPa
    Wind was almost nil as the storm had lashed rain out of the sky.
    128614.JPG

I aimed the top of his head and hit in the shoulder so I need some work.
    that was ~2" low but it still did the job on Bugs.
    I was shooting on a slight angle lower from me.
    I used hold over rather than clicks.
    The Bunny was standing proud so he offered me a tall target.
    128613.JPG

There is longer shots available on same farm, just bunnies don't often oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Brother got this fella last week.

.300 Win Mag at about 120 yards. Spotted him at about 800 yards and stalked in as far as he could get

15pointstagseptember201.jpg

Shot my first medal sika this morning

GixxerThou wrote: »
    Shot my first medal sika this morning

Thats a fine Animal, you must be a fair animal to carry that Blaser too :D
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/341246/128862.JPG

[MOD]
    Converted HUGE image (2650px × 1908px, 2015.32 kB) to text link
    [/MOD]

Hey lads here is the 180 grain soft point from the red stag above, as I said in the other post he was about 120 yards. Pretty impressive performance, perfect mushroom. Still serious weight in the bullet too

sashabullet024.jpg

sashabullet025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's excellent performance Veg. What's the make of the bullet?

• Advertisement

tikkamark wrote: »
    Fine animal and a sweet looking rifle setup!Whats the specs on your setup??
    Blaser LRS2 in .300 win mag, Zeiss Victory 6-24x56, T8 can, Harris bipod and norma 150g ammo.

That's excellent performance Veg. What's the make of the bullet?

Hornady, cant remember the brand name though as the site is blocked here in work. Being honest I was amazed it stayed in the deer. 120 yards with a 300 win mag I would have been betting on it passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Headed of in the landrover saturday morning about 6.45 to my stalking ground got there at 7 parked up the landy and headed off walking to were the farmer had told me he had seen 3 stags last week got there and did not see a thing but there was alot of roaring going on at the oppisite side of my stalking ground so walked back to the landy and drove around a mile to the other side and sure enough seen what was making all the noise there was one stag low down on the hill and another one high up , the high up one was 290 yards out so that was a no , so i got into the field and made my was up to some good cover and spotted the low down stag below me 125 yards pacing over and back roaring at the stag on the hill i let a roar out of me to stop him and took the shot just behind the shoulder he dropped right away but got up again walked 3 yards and dropped again this time for good , walked down to him he was a 10 pointer , belld him and drove back for the quad to take him out so am fairly happy with my first day out this year , heres a pic of him

SDC15951-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

finally figured out how to download off the phone. there is one of the new gun light. the bracket is supposed to be for a handlebar for a bike but is a perfect fit and the light is a led lenser model b7 with a range of 700 metres. and it does exactly what it says on the tin

p.s bolt is closed but mag was removed and dry fired into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Heres a nice dog fox I got last sunday night / monday morning, with my 22 mag!!. Was out last night and the lad with me got two mink not too far away from my house about 500m, no photo's unfortunately but they are two mink that will not get at my ducks or hens!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Shot the sika the other night, got a great stalk on the hybrid stalked in to approx 50mtrs necked him, both shot using Tikka t3 lite 25.06 with 85 grain federal ballistic tips.

deerstalking022.jpg

Deerstalking1011001.jpg

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

We picked these up today at a driven fox shoot...3 from the one cover. 7 guns. What a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Well lads just thought id stick up a pic of the trip out shooting grey crows and magpies this evening,it was down in a spot i normally go shooting rabbits with my hmr but i was down there yesterday with a mate we didn't get any rabbits yesterday mainly because we got down there to late but podge managed managed to nail a nice dog fox with his hmr so it wasn't a wasted trip!What i did notice though was the amount of grey crows heading back into roost in a small little birch wood-if i had the shotgun i could have nailed a good 4 or 5!

So the plan was to head back this eve armed with the extrema and my trusty old springer bitch 'spot' i needed her because any greys i was going to drop were going to fall in heavy cover and in poor light i knew i would waste a heap of time tryin to get them myself.

I walked the mile or so to the wood about 3/4 of an hour before dark and got into position half way up the wood near the centre of it.I wasn't there long before i heard magpies swooping in towards me,as i mounted the gun to fire at the 1st the bloody dog whistle got tangled up in the stock of the gun and i didn't get a shot:(Not to worry about 5 mins later more headed my way swooping in low i hit one fairly hard and filled the air with feathers and spot went straight out and retrieved the magpie back to my feet i put it on my game carrier and got the dog to sit at my feet,around 10 mins later another group of maggers came in to my right low again,as i raised the gun they copped me and swung round but not quick enough as i dropped another,yet again spot went straight out and hunted the area where it fell returning a few mins later with another magpie in her mouth:)

Not much else happened till it started getting properly dull(round the type of light that ducks start to flight in)then the 1st of the greys started to arrive i waited for my shots and made sure the crows i fired at were grey because the normal black crows were coming in with them.I would drop one and let spot go out for the retrieve and wait till she found the crow and bring it back to me before i would fire at another so as not to have the dog going round like a headless chicken!
    This worked a treat and soon enough i was running out of loops on my game carrier,the last 4 or so grey crows were shot in nothing but moonlight and i was nailing them stone dead in the air with single shots,i was delighted with my shooting and how well the dog worked giving the amount of cover i was dropping the birds into:)
    In the end i fired 19 shells for 10 grey crows and 2 magpies-not bad for how dull it was!
    Sorry for the length of the post but it was an enjoyable evening and i thought id share it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

Got this guy over the weekend. Got him in the neck, shooting off the shoulder at about 90 yards . Was stalking him for about 2 hours, he was in a clearing in the woods and I had to circle around him to get a good view too steep to find a good rest without spooking him. So decided to take him off the shoulder. was delighted with him.

• Advertisement

132252.jpgGoing through old phone pics, this was a deer I shot on the 1st November 2007, Since the 1st is almost upon us i may post it up now.

Sako 75 6.5x55 with a Nikon 2.5-10x56 Scope. Norma 120 Grain Ballistic Tipped.
    It was that day I decided i wanted more mag, as I shot her ~250 and she was lying down chewing the cud with a load of other does and fawns.
    The head was the only shot on offer so I picked my shot, I was 45mins or more before i squeezed off the shot.

Irony is I was out after Phezzies that day and I saw a cock in the same field ;)

Advertisement