Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i was out the other day spotted the fox half way up the field, dog seen it and ran it up the ditch, it bolted out in front of me at the end of the ditch :D big mistake:):) i turned it on it side as the shotgun really made a mess

IMG_0779.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

7avpk.jpg
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

This chap was not exactly lamp shy, but started to make his way away from us, walking, wouldnt even stop to a squeak, he went from right to left through a hedge, after reversing about 50 yards there he was sitting on the other side off the hedge, head on and about 100yds out. Got himself a little heartache about 5 secs later by the mate.

P1030771.jpg

Now this 1 we spotted from a road. As soon as the lamp went on her she bolted, BIG TIME. Ran and sat on a hill about 350 yards away thinking she was safe, but because off our position we had to move off the road. We moved up a lane behind her, no sign off her when we crawled up the lane, i then spotted a set off eyes right behind me, or should i say 1 eye. The sly old bitch was lying as tight as she could in a manure pile, she was sneaking a look when i saw her, i had the lamp in 1 hand and the other put a 60gr right down her throat, mind you it was only 50yrds away, but she was outfoxed this time, lovely condition bitch.

P1030774.jpg

Myself and the mate should have had at least another 6 but for bad shooting, there was a bit off police activity here so our excuse was that we were on edge.LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Monet.

Love this video.... one of the best i have ever seen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTlnQopIwU

looks like a good club..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

fallow.jpg

A picture of the Tipperary three,
    My self anf Paulo were out this morning for a quick look around one of his new permissions, we came across these three and they stopped some of our bullets ;)

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Think I'm going to need a bigger freezer:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rmnrgn

All in all a good season, nice days out and didn't get shot!
    I'm dedicating the fox pictures to johngalway in honour of his prowess and story telling skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rmnrgn

One of my deer permissions just before Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

got out this evening for a bit of roost shooting with heidi picked up 44 pigeons to a pic before the real action started

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Couple of pics from last week, got a great stalk on the sika hind and calf, glassed the calf in a clearing, stalked in to where id last seen the calf, got to approx 60mtrs necked the hind then the calf ran about 5mtrs and necked him. Hind was in great condition, plenty of fat on her.

Got a great stalk on the hybred hind, glassed a group of hybreds lying down on the hill, took nearly three hours to get out to them had to belly most of the way out, got to about 250mtrs and they had started to feed, just as i was getting into range the wind changed the ran up the hill, shot the hind from approx 220mtrs, weighed out at 45kgs clean in the larder.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

steyrman2 wrote: »
    got out this evening for a bit of roost shooting with heidi picked up 44 pigeons to a pic before the real action started

went out the other evening when good and windy for roost shooting and when i was walking in i rise 20 pigeons feeding on the ground but waited and waited and nothing came in any tips on where to find them

• Advertisement

Dupont wrote: »
    went out the other evening when good and windy for roost shooting and when i was walking in i rise 20 pigeons feeding on the ground but waited and waited and nothing came in any tips on where to find them
    hi small blocks of forestery hardwood is better ash,oak, watch flight lines as some times the stay not far away from feeding area like rape fields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

steyrman2 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Dupont
    hi small blocks of forestery hardwood is better ash,oak, watch flight lines as some times the stay not far away from feeding area like rape fields
    It was too windy the other night, the pigeons were mostly staying out in the lower hedges rather than coming into the high roosting spots.

As steyrman2 says high stands of trees are good, I shoot oak ash beech woods usually for the last hour before darkness.
    Head out and check a few spots during the daytime, you'll see good splatter from droppings under the trees they are roosting under the most.
    Get a good spot where there's good low cover around you but you have a clear view of the sky for shooting (small branches overhead are fine once you can pick your target out through them). Wear gloves to cover your hands and a peaked cap to hide you face from above otherwise you'll spook the pigeons. Generally they will flight across or along the wood with the wind at the back or to the side and then they'll turn into the wind to land on the trees so start off with your back to the wind. Don't be afraid to move position after the first few groups come in if your not on the flightline, plus if there's 20 pigeons on a tree 100 yards down the wood they'll draw all the pigeons down to them. It's as well to scare them off as to have them decoying all the pigeons away from you.
    I seen a clip on you tube where lads in england balanced decoys high on trees for roost shooting with long poles but I've never tried it.
    I use a 28gr 7 in the first barrell and a 32gr 7 in the choke barrell as a lot of the pigeons are coming in at tree top height, about 30 yards up and the 28gr gives a good pattern at this range.
    You can pop them off the tree if you want (especially for vermin control) but there's much better craic shooting them on the wing.
    My lad/springer cross bounces down the wood like a stag looking to spot the pigeon as she hears it crashing through the branches. When nothing's happening she sits across from me watching the sky for pigeons :D
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Myself and my bud went foxing tonight. Saw six pairs of eyes, but as soon as they got the taste of our Lightforce beam they just dissapeared every time. Non of the callers worked either...
    This was all we got...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Got around to zeroing the 22-250 today! Then decided to see was it up to the job on the real thing! Not long range shots by any means but happy to get the ball rolling with it!

046rw.jpg

Grey crow shot at 150 yards!

047ji.jpg

Fox shot at roughly 80 yards!

100% hit rate so far!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tikka Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tikka Jim

Shot this doe one afternoon. She was grazing with 12 others in the top of a 30 acre grass field. Took me half an hour to crawl within range.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-oxXdVERhzZNgXnTe7LGWw?feat=directlink

I'm training a lab pup as a deer dog, so on the way home I stopped off a few fields short of the house and dragged the her about 300 yds, left her (as if one drag wasnt enough!!). Half an hour later came out with the pup and he found the trail no bother and went straight in for the 'kill'.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V1D0keIXXlTM0G_fTZP4cA?feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Octopus wrote: »
    Mods.

Should we split off the pigeons shooting talk (as there's no pictures) to a seperate thread for pigeons shooting tips and tricks

Roost shooting late yesterday.
    20110210kizzy0004medium.jpg
    A handy feed.
    20110211p0002medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nico13

here is the result of yesterday stalk with clivej and thank u for ur companie and help to retrieve that hard to get deer. i tried to tell the story but got logged off and lost all of it ( after 1 hour typing ):mad::mad::mad:hope we will have plenty more adventure;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Nico13 wrote: »
    here is the result of yesterday stalk with clivej and thank u for ur companie and help to retrieve that hard to get deer. i tried to tell the story but got logged off and lost all of it ( after 1 hour typing ):mad::mad::mad:hope we will have plenty more adventure;)

Well done. We were out for a shot ourselves and got a couple.

baab82b5.jpg

70a1b20b.jpg

hi out deer shooting today got a cracker of a shot at a fox range 289 yards this is a old fox he was hunting at one o clock today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Nico13 wrote: »

Good day out and a great retrieve by your dog.

Nicksdeer01.jpg

Nicksdeer04withdogface.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monte

029.jpg
    sako quad 17hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

099.JPG

got this fella on tuesday mornin, roughly 100 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Yesterday

Watched 8 animals for nearly 2 hours on land did not have permission on.

Fairly sure they would eventually come our way to a crossing down below so setup and waited.

Ambush.jpg

Eventually the wait paid off

Hind and Calf.jpg

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Just a couple of photos of the dogs. GSP and EP...

DSCI0010.jpg

DSCI0009.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

heres sum photos of this years hunting/stalking
    15f56rq.jpg
    98u5cp.jpg
    SAM_0075.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

2ltr2n4.jpg
    33a6jxf.jpg
    2djavzm.jpg
    vyixz.jpg
    2wmq5br.jpg
    33v0uvq.jpg
    do2kud.jpg
    2wqs4rc.jpg
    105pq42.jpg
    m9y8no.jpg
    vdl447.jpg
    34hgm78.jpg
    2mgshmg.jpg
    347wt8z.jpg
    126643s.jpg
    sum hunting/stalking pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

been after this bugger for 2 weeks without being able to take a safe shot but last night he said good night at 120 yards with my krico

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

got this calf this morning.

deer20feb2011001.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Got my first fox this morning with the .223!
    Got her at 9.30.
    15 yard headshot.
    Called her in from forestry area and saw her moving towards me at 60 yards.
    She wouldn't stop for me and went in to a hollow at 30 yards and when she appeared again boom! :D:D

Using 55gr V-max.

DSC00584.jpg

Entry

DSC00585.jpg

Exit

DSC00586.jpg

Advertisement