Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXBUHkm4bEIY7YaWV8kSfPfIPTIHA2crVMPVkhqQMPwp67prIjxQ

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Just had one of these. Turned out to be fffn tasty! Will post the recipe in the game recipe section shortly.
    83427905.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rmnrgn

I was out this evening at nine o clock trying to shoot a few rabbits with my Krico .22. I was able to bag one and at half past nine decided to head home. I unloaded the magazine, put the bullets back in the box and got into the car. As I pulled off I looked into the neighbouring field which was about 40 acres and divided into two, both sharing the same gate. The fence divinding them was post and wire with standing grass which was higher than the fence in most places. The silage had been cut in the previous week or two and the grass was growing well.
    At the bottom of the field to my left I saw something at the bottom near the ditch. I hadn't brought my binos so got out of the car, retrieved the rifle and had a look through the scope. Bingo, a young fox. After a few minutes watching it something else caught my eye, a second fox! Both foxes were about 400 yards away so I gave some thought to the stalk.
    Thats when I made my big mistake. I only loaded three bullets into the magazine which can carry five. I honestly don't know what got into me to make that decision, maybe I secretly held out little hope of using all three bullets.
    I started down the field to the right keeping a low profile and letting the high grass and fence give me cover. After a hundred yards I stopped and had a look through the scope, the two foxes were still out in the field and yet again something else caught my eye in the far hedge, a third fox!
    I continued the stalk, my heart thumping until I got about 120 yards from the nearest fox. I put up the sticks and stood up in a crouch. I put the cross hairs on the fox to my right, pulled the trigger and heard the thump. The fox jumped as though it had been stung and I lost it from the field of vision in the scope as I moved to my left and put the cross hairs on the second fox. Again another thump as I squeezed the trigger but the placement was too far back and the fox stood up on its hind legs after being shot which allowed for a better target and the second bullet put it down. The third fox was standing watching all of this happen and as I put the scope on him and pulled the trigger I heard a click from the empty chamber! Of course the box of bullets was back in the boot of the car.
    I wanted to make sure that the fox was dead and that the first one if wounded could be dispatched so I traipsed back to the car and reloaded. Looking down the field again I could see a fox still hunting in the field bottom, so off I set again, however not so lucky this time as the fox was in the hedge by the time I made it back down the field. I left the fence line and headed across the field when I saw the first fox lying in the grass, shot behind the front leg. I found the second fox 50 yards away, dead where he dropped. Both appear to be this years cubs which would explain why it wasn't so much of a challenge. However I've never shot two foxes at the same time and I've never contemplated the .22 as an efficient tool for the job but I'm very pleasantly surprised!
    Safe shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

On the way home from work this morning I nearly put myself in the ditch.
    I could have sworn I saw a fox tail disappearing into the hedgerow on a back road, but then as I drew closer I realized that 2, yes 2 Red Squirrels were scampering in front if me.

I wish I had time to get a pic but they were gone in a flash.

I had heard rumours of red's but never seen any in Offaly.
    Then I said I'd take the rifle out before bed.
    167706.jpg

Got this bunny 196 yards with 75grain BTHP Hornady in me Daddy's field
    167705.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

Remember Rule #5. Specifically;

In the course of day-to-day activity, moderators will not ask for you to disclose your identity, and you do not have to do so if you do not wish to. It is a social faux pas to demand that another poster disclose their identity, and very rude to disclose your guess as to their identity. Posters who own firearms have legitimate reasons for this level of anonymity related to personal security and safe storage of their firearms. We ask you to respect those reasons while posting here. However, this anonymity is a construct, a social nicety. If you abuse it in order to defame someone else and they were to produce a court order, boards.ie will provide them with your real identity, which is far less anonymous than you think.

While the last few posts were in good humour and there is no problem with that, some users may dislike being asked about personal details and its also unacceptable to ask.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Out last night found this chap tucking in to some lamb so i gave him some mint sauce via the mag [URL="javascript:void(0);"]fox190711.jpg?t=1311189303[/URL]:D

This guy actually ran into the haybob, not a good decision when the thynes were revolving :eek:

One less bird come November, nice to see a Wild Field reared bird though on my Daddy's land.
    167867.jpg

I went out at 04:30 as I could not sleep.
    Joys of shift work.

So I went looking for Charlie, I had seen him the night before around the same brightness levels.
    I found no charlie, but i did see a lot of bunnies out, so after I decided that it was almost a night I let fly at a few bunnies.

132,146,189 yards respectively with 55 grain Hornady VMAX
    Good for the pot!
    167971.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Waiting to head to ballinlough last weekend.

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

We were out for a shot yesterday and we got our selves some bunnies for the pot. We were shooting then gutting them straight away as I find it easier when they are warm.
    Anyway I shot this lad at around 60-70 yards and started to clean him out. As you can see it's a clean head shot so he is dead. a8a8f24f.jpg

I cleaned him out but I stopped to examine the hart as the little woman at home was asking me to keep her some harts to eat. (don't ask she's German).
    And to my surprise the hart was still beating.
    DONT WATCH IF SCREAMISH.
    http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/poulo69/1ebc02a2.mp4

I just thought I would share this as I remember we had a thread here a while back about how long an animal would stay twitching after being shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Culling goats in Kerry a while back..

Size matters:D, I was thinking of getting a flag for the top of it
    1e39e0f2.jpg

The views...... and cloud cover.
    a5b4fa44.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    If you tie a string to the end of that you could do some beach casting.

Did you have any luck. I do a bit of goat culling my self. The kids are tasty.

Yea, took a few of the weaker ones. Left the better ones with the heads to come on a bit.
    Here is a shot from a few months back, think ive posted the photos before but gives you an idea of the quality.
    44de9e24.jpg
    c389d29c.jpg

05:25
    Me Daddy's Hay Field

There was 2 but the second ran to cover after the first shot
    168810.jpg

I wish I had a cam that was hands Free

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Busted this lad last night 25yds 22mag not a pretty sight
    [URL="javascript:void(0);"]25yrdbunny.jpg?t=1311967781[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Bit of vermin control for the land owner last night in his highly expensive landscape garden

Not very happy with the .223
    Should I get new Calibre :D

These guys just happened to give up at 88, 126, and 253yards respectively
    But that was just an accident :p

168934.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Was out Friday 2 weeks ago and I got 2 more dog foxes on or near land where a farmer had approached a shooting buddy of mine to clear all the foxes off his ground. Apparently his cows were found to have Neospora, which they got through foxes, the farmer idntified 3 fox dens to my mate.

Anyway on Friday we were going to hit the same place again, but had found that the previous week the cubs were wicked cagey, staying off in the distance rather than galloping in to the call. I partly guessed that the farmer might have contacted other people about shooting foxes, but our suspicions were confirmed when we saw a jeep driving the same fields shooting rabbits so that kind of ruled out that particular place.

So we headed off to an area where my friend had reported hearing a vixen calling al evening. We pulled up at the gate got the gear out and headed into the field, where we thought the vixen was. I put the bipod legs out and sat behind the rifle and began calling. My mate had the lamp with the red filter on it, he was standing and shone the lamp across the field and picked out a pair of eyes coming towards us, but I couldn't see the fox, as I wasn't high enough. I moved but so had the fox and then we could hear her clear ly calling in front of us no less than 100m but she was in the ditch and we couldn't see her. I started calling again and within a few minutes another pair of eyes appeared above us on the hill, this time I was ready and I placed the cross-hairs on the foxes chest and heard a nice psssht and a thwack after I pulled the trigger, the fox went down like a ton of bricks. We paced it out at 53 paces. The dog fox was hit squarely in the chest the .223 55 grain v-max must of turned his insides to liquid, because when we picked him up he squelched with the sound of his insides slushing around his ribcage.

300720111060.jpg

We drove around after that for a bit saw a couple of sets of eyes and a few foxes darting accross roads but couldn't pull in to take a shot. Finally we pulled up at a gate and said we'd go into the field and call for a bit. I shone the light around the field and saw a set of eyes shining back a me but they disappeared again. We set up and began calling again and sure enough there was a set of eyes looking at us, but there was an electric fence between us and the fox and I didn't want to clip the wire with the bullet so I moved up close to the fence to take the shot and make sure it wasn't someone's' dog we were lamping. Sure enough it was a fox alright and he was still there looking at us, I went for a heart and lung shot again and the fox went down in a nice red mist. He had a nice raggedy hole about the size of a fist in his shoulder where the bullet exited.

290720111059.jpg

Tried one more place but I just couldn't get the fox in my sights as the fox was ducking down in between the swarts of cut straw and moving all the time. So that's 4 foxes in the last 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tikka22250

NICE SHOOTING!!!!!!!!did you use the scope light?am i correct in saying its a p7.

tikka22250 wrote: »
    NICE SHOOTING!!!!!!!!did you use the scope light?am i correct in saying its a p7.

Yeah, I've been using the P7, I have the pressure switch tapped to the stock of the rifle. I shot four more last night, will post pics when I get a chance.

• Advertisement

A few from Monday Night.

010820111063.jpg

010820111064.jpg

020820111065.jpg

020820111066.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

We took Andrew's 8 Month old cocker spaniel out to get her used to the gun and came home with a few bunnies too...

Shot with my CZ .22 LR and my Zabala O/U..

IMG00005-20110707-1927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Just a photo I found from last season! Hope yee enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I went out for a wee ramble this evening with my springer and my .22. And I got 3 nice head shot bunnies for the pot that my springer retrieved for me. Not a bad old evening if you ask me.
    I also called in 2 young fox to about 40yards but they bolted when they spotted the dog. Ah well I hope they are there when I get my .243 back.

Anyway. Here they are in there fur coats.
    c34543bc.jpg.

And here they are ready for dinner.

c8e725ba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

A pheasant laid an egg where I dump my grass.......
    IMAG0252.jpg

And I said no to the magpie looking for supper....
    IMAG0249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Some shot! What distance and what caliber did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

75yds. zero distance with my cz . :) and literaly the last thing he saw was the lapua .22 subsonic bullet :D

A bit of shotty work on one of my permissions.
    My record was set today, 70 yards for a rook with a Number 5 CB Shell
    170153.jpg
    And my 21 year old Jacket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Minky 123

Not bad for two hours shooting :D
    49FF5A80B9F844828A8969FA94C3D4B5-0000343911-0002480528-00800L-4C3744D4D75942AF96526F2F4F186FFA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Minky 123

I used 8 shell pigeon decoyes, 2 full bodyed decoys, 2 crow decoyes and 2 homemade bouncers after that all you need is crows or pigeons ;) i also used a eletronic caller but isnt essential.:D

Advertisement