Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Few snaps from Africa showing pse composites carbon fibre tikka stocks
    http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/Snigsnog/pse%20stock/

Lovely looking wildebeest. All taken with the .270?

Yep all .270, 130g federal noslers, the PH's were worried they wouldnt do the job but 43 animals in 5 days between 3 of us soon put them right! Cant recommend the caliber enough, took some shots I never usually would through grass and had no problems..

Yeah, there's a lot of debate on the .270 for a lot of plains game. Very impressed with the BW though. Even guides who know how good the round is would typically be sketchy about using it for wildebeest! You didn't take the .300 out with you?
    Shot the wildebeest in the head so there was no prob.. Cant see myself using the .300 again to be honest, Since building the .270 I have huge confidence with it, lighter and more accurate than the Blaser and the .270 is a far more usuable round. This rifle with scope, mod and bipod is lighter than the LRS2 on its own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

GixxerThou wrote: »
    Few snaps from Africa showing pse composites carbon fibre tikka stocks
    http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/Snigsnog/pse%20stock/

What time was that Dawn, Dusk?

Did you get a trophy out of this guy?
    170318.jpg

And if so how much?
    I hope to go some day, I have a few friends from the kalahari region.

Did yee shoot prone?
    How do you manage the long grass if using short Bipod?

Sorry for all the questions, I only know 2-3 people who have ever done game shooting over there.
    Perhaps post a thread? Love to hear more, including what you do to avoid Lions, Hyena etc.

Such a big topic that would be a wonderful read from a paddies perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Minky 123

Todays bag 82 in all. Great days shooting.:D:D
    293071B0B4BD42EAA505604ADEE4B46A-0000343911-0002484392-00800L-1DE105256EAC4F83AFBA9C44F6041934.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Got 19 pigeon and a crow today. Only 17 present as the crow and a pigeon were a bit difficult to collect :rolleyes:

IMAG0085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Decided to go for a shot today. Got to a field at 11am and setup. Worst few hours ever!! Only got 3 pigeons and 4 crows so decided to leave at 2pm.
    Headed for pastures new..... pulled up and got setup and shooting at 2.45pm. After just over 4 hours we had shot over 170 pigeons, 4 crows and 2 ferrels. So a good day. Best day so far by about 80+ birds :D

Photo00030.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

heres todays bag,no records but the weather was good and so was the company!!

and here is a pic of my one year old pointer and my friends 5 month old pointer enjoying the water i have a video of him retrieving the dummy but for some reason it wont play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Shot this vixen in a hay field on Friday night. We had gone into the field and gave twenty minutes calling with a wigeon call but nothing turned up. We got back into the car and were heading down the road when my mate spotted eyes in the headlights further down the field we had just come out of. I went down the road to turn the car around and pulled in. We entered the bottom of the field and called for a time with the wigeon call. Spotted the fox in the far corner of the field but she wasn’t moving, we moved up through the field until we found a decent round bale that gave us a good view of the rest of the fox. I started calling on the WAM caller and sure enough the fox started coming, I’ld blow a few squeals and she’ld run in and stop, until I finally got her where I wanted. I fired but I must have pulled the shot coz she started roaring and then ran off back up the field, I reloaded flicked the safety on and my mate followed her with the lamp until we lost sight of her, but we found her and I took a shoot of the shoulder putting her out of her misery.

The first round almost took her front left leg off, the second round hit her in the shoulder killing her instantly.

200820111068.jpg

• Advertisement

pointer

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

2v29reu.jpg
    Result of 5 hours shooting for myself and Lofty95! Over 120 shot, 100 collected. Farmer had lost at least half a tonne of spuds and alot of his grain destroyed, needless to say he was quite happy with our days work!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

A few boingadaboingadies and my wee lad.
    aaronbun2.jpg?t=1314655166
    gunbun2aug.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Brought the pup out Sunday for a ramble, while i was working the cocker,only 16 weeks and he is fearless went into that deep pool and swam around by himself.In and out ditches not a bother to him, think this fella will take to his training well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shane32819

had a bit of luck this morning :)

3d8c8993.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

She Got the one in the first picture tonight on her own and a few rabbits, sorry it's blurred.
    The dog in the first picture played a big part on the lad in the second picture she had help.

I got this dog off of a lad, I just happened on, and took the gamble been years since I had a lurcher.
    She was extremely thin so much so I was nervous incase anyone seen her and thought I had her that way, appalling condition.
    So I brought her home got a bollocking off the missus (rolleyes) not another dog! I looked after her, fed and walked her got her to where she should be and from the first night I brought her out I couldn't complain.
    Breda the lurcher 3/4 hound 1/4 saluki.
    lamping 040.jpg

lamping 032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

I must apologise for stringing posts not quite used to pictures yet. Any way this is my crew only picture I have with the three of them together.
    The springer is now in heat :confused: I'm unsure whether to breed her or not she is still young but if i breed her ill have no dog for the pheasant as I run my good friends dog, who has work commitments and cant get out but she is in pup!

lamping 045.jpg

lamping 033.jpg

Got this lad today off a pond. Shot him and he dropped into the middle of it, and my trusty pal in the photo swam out and retrieved him to my foot. All the training and hard work seems to be slowly paying off:D:D:D (Thanks to E-POINTER for all the hints and tips over the last few months via PM ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Its down to you, the dog & all the effort you put in Charlie. Fair play & enjoy the feeling.

Just watch that dog develop as it gets more & more game. After awhile you'll feel like all you do is aim & fire! ;)

I watched these guys go at it for awhile today. Not a deer hunter but 'twas interesting to watch

fabcb504.jpg

These guys are more my thing:)

84b7dd1b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    thoes deer look in fantastic condition. i am green with envy. i just spent the last 3 days going threw my permissions trying to find 1 never mind a choice of a couple in a herd like that.

do you mind telling us where that was, county will do

03092011-1.jpg

the real reason..............:D:D

I couldn't resist :D:D

picture was taken on Saturday afternoon, we had been up since 5am
    we had covered a lot of ground between Kerry and Clonmel within 3 days solid. God knows haw many deer we saw but no bucks or stags, apart from the two red in kerry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

went for a ramble with the young lab shot 3 mallard buck done a good job picking them up

New method of deer extraction! Works better than dragging!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Anyone got a wiring diagram for a Lamp shade?

060920111071.jpg

060920111072.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i finally got the opportunity to blood my new sako/trueflight, i was watching a sika pricket that was bothering my local farmer for a while now. and this evening when i got home from work i called over for a walk threw the ground, but no luck so instead i helped the farmer round up the cattle for milking.
    as we were strolling back to the parlor he told me that he had bin seeing the pricket regularly and usually appeared in the field about 250y away from the milking parlor.
    well that was that and we chatted for a while before i headed home to the kids.

not 5 min in the door when i got a phone call from my farmer, "come over quick that lad is back where he usually is".
    so i jumped into the jeep and quick as a flash i was up in the farm yard.

i parked just inside the farm gates and walked over to the tree line beside the milking parlor and lay down on a raised bank of 804 left over from re laying the drive way into the yard.
    sure enough there he was, just under the same tree as usual and just grazing away.
    i steadied my self on the stones and watched the young animal threw the scope for a while and awaited for the perfect shot to present its self.
    he was facing me so only one option. he lifted his dead for a look around and that was it i squeeze the trigger now lightened to about 1lb and with no effort it was all over. a thurrappp from the mod and a thump was all the noise that was made.
    220y 75gr hollow point neck shot
    37d510e3.jpg

and to make it even better the farmer was standing at the door of the milking parlor watching as it all happened. he said "jeasus paul that was some shot , it just dropped on the spot" so now he is happy and i have proven my worth to him as far as shooting is concerned anyway.

i am one happy camper with my new sako/trueflight from Fergal white
    thanks Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

After a slow start to the season due to my owl fella passing then his brother 8 weeks later. Im starting to get back into the swing a things again its so nice been out. Could anyone tell me how to upload photo;s in a few simple steps got a nice fallowbuck yesterday bout half 7 , 73 kilo,s worth putting him up see what ye think?. It would be handy for the future to also no how to do this as they are quiet a few stags holding in this area would be nice to show them of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

fallowbuck wrote: »
    After a slow start to the season due to my owl fella passing then his brother 8 weeks later. Im starting to get back into the swing a things again its so nice been out. Could anyone tell me how to upload photo;s in a few simple steps got a nice fallowbuck yesterday bout half 7 , 73 kilo,s worth putting him up see what ye think?. It would be handy for the future to also no how to do this as they are quiet a few stags holding in this area would be nice to show them of.

Here you go lad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376129

Sorry to hear about your old man and uncle, that's rough.

Thanks man ill get that pic up later to show ye lads

• Advertisement

a028j.th.jpg

Hope the pic is up not sure I done it right, if so shot this guy less than 200 yards from the front of my house.Nice?

Advertisement