Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I know its vermin but I still had to hunt them!

PIC_0027.jpg

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

S5001124.JPG

finally here is the pics of last mondays shoot using 3 decoys and my caller. not bad but not great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

100_0063.jpg

The only one I have with a hen pheasant is this one.

PIC_0010-1.jpg

Up North we can shoot hens with a general licence if released. The place I shoot has multiple drains cut in the bog for peat production. So even if the hen reared young they would fall into the drain withing minutes of leaving the nest. Even so I only shoot them very rarely as I still have that guilt as if it was a wild bird.

Mallards.

P.s I wish it was a woodcock at that size!

:p:p:p
    Thanks Vegeta!

Im looking for a perfect picture some day of say my dog pointing a snipe and the picture taken just as the snipe flushes with my dog in the background. Until then I'll keep practicing!

PIC_0017-4.jpg

PIC_0116.jpg

Mallards.

• Advertisement

I would agree with that OP, Finn really is a class dog and I should know, I have had some stinkers in my time!

Although not this one she too was a great dog.

magss0010-1.jpg

And Finn with a rabbit and a Hen pheasant. :eek:

Click on them for the video.

th_Finnsfirstrabbit.jpg

th_finnhen.jpg

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

We have one of those suspended feeders on a tree that they can eat from keeps a few of them hanging around. Its basically a barrel with a spring feeder protruding from the bottom.

Something like this?

PIC_0004-6.jpg

We have about 20 of these filled with wheat. They do the job if the you can keep the crows away! I was wondering if you have any tips, maybe about how you release them???
    I refuse to believe its the ground we are on as at the minute we have hen pheasants running round with chicks! So how come ours disappear come shooting time!

Mallards.

P.S Is somebody warning them!

Mostly Pochard. I can't wait until late Setember!
    Half of these have already disappeared out of my freezer!

PIC_0014.jpg

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Over at cousins on sat for the afternoon not as many out as there are in the evenings but managed 4 only got the pic of 2 as was in a rush to be home for sat night.

DSC00109Medium.jpg

• Advertisement

Heres a few i shot today mostly between 60 and 100yards longest was 135yards ranged in the head :D

DSC00121-1.jpg

Heres a pic of the damage done to one (warning graphic)
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/psit...is/DSC00124.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Wait, I found a copy, what a picture!

DSC00152-1.jpg

What you mean like this

Warning Graphic
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/psittacosis/DSC00150-1.jpg

Hummers a great little round think my zero might be a lil bit off to the left might have been a slight breeze when i zeroed easily corrected though and was taking bunnies out in the head to 100yards so not much wrong

13 in total think theres 8 in the pic farmer got 4 for his tea and couldnt find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

psitta what sight have you got on the cz?

very impressed with your shooting was out last night with mine aswell and got two...........ud swear i liked animals the way i was shooting the sight i have is **** need a new one badly it was on the rifle when i bought it second hand a few months ago not happy at all with the sight:mad: the rifle is class though its a cz 527 hornet.

Well the thing about the hornet is its a bit loud with the .17hmr i can stalk along a hedge and take a few off it and from 100yards away they dont notice a whole lot.

Its not the hardest thing in the wolrd to get big bags of bunnines you just need to find places where they are no point shooting if theres not alot around.

Scope is a Hawke Target 6-24x50 cant fault it really tracks perfectly and holds zero and clear up at those high mags very happy with it dont like the 1/8moa turrents but not that big a deal. Depending on your price range id recomend a MTC Viper hasnt really hit Ireland but they're mad about them over in england haven't looked through one but alot of people have said they are very clear and good quaility and they are relitively inexpensive

Good stuff with the crows Trojan always a bonus to get a few hard wit the rifle as you only get one here or there they're a bit wise where i am seen a gun to often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This year we planted some sweetcorn for variety, unfortunately on Friday when I went out expecting to harvest some, I found that rats had eaten it all.:(
    Of course I know that in the scheme of things farmers do lose crops but all the same it was very disheartening to see the fruits of our labour destroyed by rats.
    A little while later looking out at the (former) cornfield I could see the plants shaking, Closer inspection showed that the rats were still feeding on the remains of the cobs.
    Out came the .22 Anschutz with Mr Winchesters finest HP subsonics and a little while later both thieves had stopped dining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Just testing out the ol photo upload really... heres a few pigeons shot today. About 70 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Just thought I would put up some interesting pictures (I find them interesting anyway) from some of the animals I have dissected that hunters have donated to my project that show how resilient they can be. They are not for the squeamish tough.

First is a femur from a fox. You can see how far the two pieces of the bone slid down each other before they fused. It is a wonder how it survived but it was in relatively healthy condition. A study has shown about 1/3 of foxes have healed bone fractures probably from cars.
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd253/Neo_researcher/Disection%20pics/brokenbone.jpg

The second is even gorier as it is a skinned mink skull. But you can see the two teeth marks in the skull that another mink made. Although a bit light in weight for its size this mink survived too.
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd253/Neo_researcher/Disection%20pics/Topview.jpg

Just thought I would share them as I know hunters tend to be very interested in the quarry. In case anyone is interested to know why I am dissecting animals I explained here so as not to double post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055147408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Thats very interesting pic of the fox bone it slid down very far before it healed,the stats that you quote in relation to 1/3 of foxes having healed bone fractures might explain why some foxes run as soon as they see a lamp-a lot of them could have been hit during the night and relate the lamp light to the collsion with the car.Thats very interesting research your carrying out is is a very serious disease the neo.....,can it cause fatalities in cattle?

• Advertisement

Thats interesting about the foxes running from the lamps, never knew they did that.

Yes Neosporosis is a very serious disease. It was only identified in cattle in 1988 and it is very hard to identify and easily mistaken for other diseases, so there is still a lot that has to be discovered about the disease. It can (but not in all cases) cause cattle to abort the calves which is very costly for farmers. The calf can also be born and die a few weeks subsequetly or go on to join the herd. In the UK it is the most frequently identified cause of abortions and believed to be the cause of 1/3 of all abortions.

if this disease is found in one animal of a herd, does the owner of the animal have the rest of his herd restricted, just as the do with bovine tb?

No the herd is not restricted as it is not an infectious disease from cow to cow. It is really up to the farmer how they deal with it. I think and have been told by a knowledgeable farmer that the best thing to do is selectively breath the infection out of the herd. This can be hard tough as some infected cows may not show signs of the disease and produce healthy calves.

If anyone has anymore questions perhaps it would be better to ask them on this thread as I don’t want to annoy the mods on this thread :eek:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055147408

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Finally managed to get out for a stroll with the Stoeger M2000 this evening,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Here is a nice big vixen i got last saturday night lamping solo with the .223 and lightforce 170 striker it took a LOT of walking to catch up with her,i seen three that night but the rest were fairly clever and kept there distance:rolleyes: The bullet was a remington 55gr accu-tip the distance to the fox was 100yrds i got this fox on the westmeath-longford border where a women i know well is loosing a lot of chickens so it was good to drop this vixen in that spot:)
    watertowerfox.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just took these from my kitchen window a few minutes ago. No I didn't shoot them! They left when they saw me move through the window. They were hardly twenty yards away from the house!

Must like Euonymous leaves :) I used to wonder why there was the odd branch broken from that tree when there had been no wind!

Visitors1.jpg

Visitors2.jpg

buetiful. chinese water deer are they? im not too up on my deer i afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Japanese Sika deer I think Stevoman. Very much the prevalent species around me. Quite small in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

This lad was a bit more than 20 yards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

this morning

Advertisement