Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

nice animal
    a028j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Was out lamping last night and spotted this lad in a field at about 150 yards in a ditch, sc89 called him into 60 yards then I let lead fly.;) He dropped on the spot, he was as dead as a maggot when we walked over to him. 018AE5A870A34BD6B456FFF6F89C3F58-0000343911-0002545167-00800L-5DEEAA3795C349C7A352AB6E88B9359F.jpg
    Heres another pic of the 6 month old german/english pointer pointing.:D
    276FCD21C0764C6699881BAFCA4A02B9-0000343911-0002545166-00800L-E87C8F58833D4D62B5690188D495687E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

i have one on my CZ too a serious yoke. What scope is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I have one on the howa 223 i bought last week just wondered if they where any good. Just waiting for the new licence to come through can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

i have one on my CZ too a serious yoke. What scope is on it?
    Its a hawke eclipse 8X56 illuminated reticle, It cost €220. I seen an artictle in the sporting rifle magazine where your man that shot the record fox was using one mounted on a ruger .204. Its very good glass for the price and the red dot in the middle of the reticle is a great help.
    lee70 wrote: »
    I have one on the howa 223 i bought last week just wondered if they where any good. Just waiting for the new licence to come through can't wait.

There a very good mod lee, they fit over the barrel and you can strip them for cleaning unlike the t4. Lads on sporting rifle arn't fitting them to blasers for no reason. I would highly recommend one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

just back from a weeks fishing in kilmore so ducks were on my mind with that heidi was looking for a run so loaded up dog and gun short spin to the pond there was a few teal on it and a few mallard feeding on the lower pond i tend to leave them till jan . anyway sat in with heidi around 8ish she sat up looking got a right and left straight away long retrive on one duck off the stubbles back to hand short time later 5 more passed did not get a shot gave the caller a few shakes one turned answering me turned him upside down all picked up sat there for a few more mins seen 20 more but left them alone nice to see them next week will bring the old lab max its his turn
    second pic heidi looking as one duck gave a bit of a shuffle lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

had a spare few hours today so decided to go for a shot or 2 or 38!!!

36 crows 1 grey crow 1 pigeon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

600541ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Well john is that a howa in 223. If it is i've one on the way S/H. what are you feedind her. looking for a heads up on a good too medium ammo choice so I have an idea what to buy when I pick her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

lee70 wrote: »
    Well john is that a howa in 223. If it is i've one on the way S/H. what are you feedind her. looking for a heads up on a good too medium ammo choice so I have an idea what to buy when I pick her up.

Afraid not Lee, it's a Remington 700 VLSS. Am using Federal premium 40 grain ballistic tips at the moment, will be using Hornady non moly 40 grain V Max in about oh 4 shots or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Saw this guy this morning! Cracker!!

so friend of mine rings me couple of days ago and informs me he is doing a cull in a well known area,and i replied" april fools day is over" to which he replied this is no joke,so long story short,i couldnt get the day off so he asked me could i call to his after to help with putting animals into freezer,and i said on one condition "i want a head" . and to my surprise he hands me this. and i drove to the taxidermist last night with it so 2 months time ill have pics of the finished product . yes its an eight pointer and as far as i can see it looks even enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

charlie10 wrote: »
    Idrove to the taxidermist last night with it so 2 months time ill have pics of the finished product . yes its an eight pointer and as far as i can see it looks even enough

Nice balance antlers.

In future, if deciding to keep a head for mounting it's advisable to leave all the neck skin on it and even the skin around the brisket and top of shoulders.

This makes it much easier to mount. Your are better off to leave too much skin on it (which the taxidermist can trim) than too little.

Did the taxidermist say anything about leaving more neck skin on in future?

skin-deer-head-800x800.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_4575851_skin-deer-head.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Went out with Ollie and got these. He did the write-up, I don't refer to myself in the third person!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Myself and Glensman went out Sat night for a bit of lamping. Glensman had recently acquired a .223 and he wanted to break it in, also I wanted to get my first fox with my new stock. To cut a long story short, we covered miles and miles without seeing an eye, so we decided as a last resort to try a farm that was very successful for us last year.

We called for a while until we spotted a fox in the distance, she then tried to skirt around to get our wind but Glensman pulled off a lovely neck shot at 190 yards. We kept calling for another while and another vixen appeared, this time is was my turn, I delivered a lovely head shot at 126 yards. Upon firing this shot we noticed another 2 foxes on the hill so with a bit more patience we managed to call another one down which Glensman dispatched at 70 yards.

Thinking this was our night over we went and collected the foxes, ranged them and had a bit of banter; when we got back to the Jeep we noticed that there was actually 3 more foxes back out on the hill. I had a chance at one while he was in some gorse bushes, he wasn't going to present a better shot so I took it; I hit the fox hard but he trailed himself down into the gorse bushes, no matter how much looking we couldn't locate the fox in the heavy cover but I know he wouldn't have made it far. So 4 foxes from this one spot and at least another 2 left for another night. A few images:
    Resized to 94% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargePICT0370.jpg

Glensman new gun

PICT0369.jpg

Resized to 94% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargePICT0366.jpg

Our syndicate then went out today to hunt a few strips of cover close to the pheasant shoot. The first place was unsuccessful, but the 2nd place proved to be successful. I got a shout from Glensman that there was a fox heading my way, true enough a big dog fox broke cover and I dispatched it with a well placed 42g Winchester Super x Double Magnum. The next place again proved unsuccessful but the final place gave us another fox. However, the fox was pricked and went to ground, but luckily enough our excellent terrier tailed it to the set and we broke in to dispatch the vixen. It was very important to get these 2 so close to our Pheasant shoot.
    Resized to 94% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargeIMG00049-20111002-1428.jpg

Pic of the big dog fox that I shot.

Anyway I have rambled on enough, 6 foxes from a weekend ain't bad going.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

DSCF0516.JPG
    got this lad this morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Was out foxing last Friday night with Deeksofdoom.
    I recently changed my scope from a Nightforce to a Zeiss and was anxious to see what it was like out lamping.
    Very happy with the Zeiss it’s very clear under the lamp and far easier to acquire the target with the lower mag.

1 Vixen shot, photos are not great taken with a camera phone.

fox2g.jpg
    fox3o.jpg

fox1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

First meat in the fridge for this season.

First 2011.jpg

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

323 wrote: »
    First meat in the fridge for this season.

First 2011.jpg

That an old Sauer-Weatherby there 323? Great cull animal by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

That an old Sauer-Weatherby there 323? Great cull animal by the way.

No, bit similar in looks but a Steyr-Mannlicher, unknown age, 20+years. Relation in England of a local dealer bought it for Africa, fired a few box's then held on to it for 20 years before selling it on.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

had plans to go for a duck this evening but time was an issue so buddy rang and said we will go for a lamp ,pulled into neighbours passage and was sure i saw eyes but the lad said no , i was convinced so gave a squeek or two and here was charlie making his way up the field at a good pace just enough time for me to settle on a post.lamp on and he was a bout 100 yards out then he sat down looking straight down the barrell and i squeezed off a 55 grain v max out of the 223 right into the chest. job done. sorry about pics it was with a camera phone and a poor light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i went for a stalk this morning with rick, unfortunately we only saw one sika that saw us first. so as we stalked the side of the mountain we heard a goat in the wood below us.
    that will do me i thought as the owner of the land that gave us permission requested that we shoot any goats we see,
    we were still out for deer so we stayed high over the little wooded area where we heard the goats with the intention of stalking back threw it on the way home,
    we went as far as we were going to and turned down hill and then back onto the lower wooded area. there were plenty of tracks around some red deer and some sika tracks but mostly sheep and then a lot of goat tracks. we followed them back threw the wood up and down the humps and hollows until we spotted them.
    without a word spoken both my self and rick took up position, rick to the right of me on a mossy bank that gave him a good prone position and i used a tree to lean against.
    there were about a half dozen of them in our line of sight but we have seen this group before and there are plenty more of them around, much to the dismay of the farmers that allow us to shoot there.

a faint whisper from rick alerted me to the fact that he was ready and i gave him the thumbs up and said you have first shot, as he was eager to blood his new moderator.
    CRACK and down went the first of the goats 243 100gr to the hart, then BOOOMMMM and down went the second 95gr sst to the brain, the rast of them scurried over the hill and left us to claim our prize.
    f238b267.jpg
    not bad we thought for two .243's
    as we were basking in our glory we heard a young kid goat bleating its way tward us.
    both of us picked up our rifles to give it a warm reception, i saw it as it passed behind a gorse bush denying me a shot so i moved to my right and just had my scope on it as rick let fly with his moderated tikka, CRACK... and down it went.
    a perfect shot to the neck
    8d096c43.jpg

great shooting rick and an excellent end to the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Just in from the mountain. Had a great stalk on a small pricket, right up into the steep stuff. Serious climb up to retrieve him and a long drag home but I loved every minute of it.. Cant beat the hill! Every deer I shoot there is worth ten in a wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Went out lamping last night pretty much on the spur of the moment. Had a good night and got 3, have a bag full of tails in the shed, must count them to see how many there is now, but I'ld need a gas mask.

The carbon fibre pilar & bedding job I got ejg to do for me is really working a treat.

08102011011_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Went out lamping last night pretty much on the spur of the moment. Had a good night and got 3, have a bag full of tails in the shed, must count them to see how many there is now, but I'ld need a gas mask.

The carbon fibre pilar & bedding job I got ejg to do for me is really working a treat.

Did you call all 3 with the Wam?

I just seen a fox in broad daylight around 300yards and running hard.
    Let one loose- miss, but not by much by how he reacted.
    Would have had him if i'd had the .270 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

We used a WAM, Widgeon whistle and Foxcaller pro. I can't remember what called what. But they all work equally well in my opinion. A red filter works well so as not to spook the fox and then shoot him with white light as its easier to see the crosshairs on the scope. Should really invest in a new scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

got these 2 guys while out for a walk yesterday. shot one at 120yrds and his buddy ran to about 150 and stopped just shy of the ditch so i got him also. both head shots with the .17hmr :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Got the gun wednesday.

first two kills ever today..

Blooded now :D:D

Photo0051.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 von dreyse

Are you sure?
    I can see it on both my post and your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats because you can find the link in your emails, we cant. you have to save it and upload for us to see it.

• Advertisement

decided to take the pointer out for a run in a spot full of birds met 6 cocks and 3 hens .one cock was a belter and made a lot of noise too.roll on november im counting the mins.anyway hit a pond and got one teal which the pointer swam in snd retrieved to foot and on the way back decided to go for a snipe myself ! first barrelled three and double barrelled the 4th really enjoy shooting them they are lightening quick buggers!

Advertisement