Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

i got this lad a few days ago a 9 pointer very happy since its my first year stalking
    Photo0011.jpg
    Photo0016.jpg it was a long drag back to the van there was only 2 of us there it took 3 hours well worth it tough.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Got this one last night, Federal Power-shok - 64 grains to the neck....This ammo is not the most consistent in terms of accuracy but doesn't half put a dent into Charlie!!:D
    Fox_22.jpg
    Fox_21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

Shot this lad this evening, will have to get him scored!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

fitzy700 wrote: »
    i did i felt it for a couple of days afterwards,i was using a .308 with a 150grn softpoint

Nice animal Fitzy, got a similar 10 point beastie this morning with nearly a mile drag also.

10 Stag Oct11.jpg

You may well be aware of these harness' , to the right of animal and shown below. Got one a few years back in US but were for sale at birr game fair for around €10.
    Was still a fair drag for two of us but definatly makes life easier as one gets older and less sore the day after, fits easily in jacket pocket.

Hunter's Deer Harness.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunters-Specialties-Deluxe-Deer-Drag/709135.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Ddeer%2Bdrag%2Bharness%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=deer+drag+harness&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i went out for a stalk early this morning. i got out of bed at 7 and by half seven i had this lad in the back of my jeep.
    the worst thing about it was the drive. i drove 600m to the farmers yard then a further 800-900m to pick up the deer
    that would make it less than a 3km round trip.

the lengths i go to for deer:rolleyes:

anyway her he is.

i shot him at 120y with a 95gr sst .243:eek::eek:

5e608c3f.jpg

and guess what.

he fell on the spot.

.243 is no slouch when it come to shooting deer. (even sika stags):D:D

721e987a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

walked the river this morning thought it was a good morning for it considering the sh$t weather was just about to head back when i heard this lad breaking, one "special pigeon" 32g 6 and down he came. shot him in the head at about 20 yards .delighted and so was the pointer!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Called this lad from 580 yards late yesterday evening. Neck shot him at 287.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

i shot him at 120y with a 95gr sst .243:eek::eek:

5e608c3f.jpg
    Well done Paulo the .243 strikes again:cool: fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭steyrprohunter

6255428792_1f0e79198e_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

buddy of mine shoot this fellow rutting hard shot with sako 75 .270 with 130 grain distance 200 yards and yes a hell of a drag back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

here is my first ever fallow.
    All the bucks are gone mad in Galway ...

My first hybrid stag, poor head but massive body. Very memorable stalk and one bastard of a drag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

first widgeon of the season! seen alot last night! 178878.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Went out last night, although we got a couple it was frustrating as we seen way more than we shot.

Anyway, 2 shots fired, 2 foxes with the .223.

First was 170yards and moving left to right thru whin bushes.

P1010089.jpg

2nd was about 100 yards and curled up on a ditch...

P1010091.jpg

Got this lad today after stalking him for nearly 4 hours in tight cover, spooked him a couple of times but persistence paid off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Nice buck four hour's stalking ha ah u'll have a few pint's tonight and relax. Was out this morning after fallow but no look the buck's stayed in the woods. Ah shur another day but well done on your stalk:cool:

podge.243 wrote: »
    Nice buck four hour's stalking ha ah u'll have a few pint's tonight and relax. Was out this morning after fallow but no look the buck's stayed in the woods. Ah shur another day but well done on your stalk:cool:
    Yea this lad stayed in too, so we went in after him, was within 10 yards of him twice. Proper exciting stuff. Fallow are sniffed at here in Wicklow but I love stalking them. No pints tonight, catching the ferry early in the morning for a week on hinds in Scotland.. its a tough life!

Popped out with the father and brother in law for a couple of hours tonight in Roscommon.

Mad a bad miss after about 5mins. Don't know what happened yet, rushed the shot a small bit- but still...

Was calling a fox that wouldn't come- this lad was behind at 115yards was walking left to right.
    50gr V-max sorted him out

P1010093.jpg

This girl appeared for the call about 150yards away and vanished. Found her again in the middle of a field of cattle- with no interest in us!

P1010094.jpg

Seen a fox in a field at 180. Never moved when we called, but another overtook him coming hard. Took him and then the sound of the shot must have encouraged the first??? got them at 82 and 110yards.

P1010095.jpg

Home by 11 o'clock. X-factor was just over.
    Seem to be mastering this whole love-life/shooting balance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You're on a roll now, keep her lit, and stick to the shootin' too :D

Falling over rabbits here but not a fox to be found :rolleyes:

How far was the miss?

johngalway wrote: »
    You're on a roll now, keep her lit, and stick to the shootin' too :D

Falling over rabbits here but not a fox to be found :rolleyes:

How far was the miss?

About 120yards.
    The fox was moving but I still don't get it.

It wasn't a flyer because I loaded the round myself. I was in a farm yard leaning off the bonnet of the jeep, unless the lad in the back of the jeep moved as I was pulling the trigger :confused::confused:

Missing is one thing, and I can live with the few misses- but I like to know what I did wrong... In honesty I should have waited another 5secs for the shot.

You're falling over rabbits because you killed so many foxes!!
    I would love to get a clear run at the foxes here for a month- the place is teaming with wild pheasant and duck- and foxes unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Shot this lass the other night with the new 223. Hit her with a 55gr SP, The round entered the chest and exited her rear leg taking the leg clean off:D:D:D.

charlie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

I shot this big Madra Rua last night at close range (60 yards). Myself and sc89 lit up a field and spoted this lad at 160 yards, a quick sqeek and he ran in luckily he stoped at 60 yards.;) Goes to show what a good sqeek will do. We only seen one other fox which crossed the road on the way home.:D0B8AB3DA156A42BF9F0C8EBAD194140F-0000343911-0002599555-00640L-CA84BC90B0524BA4B015EA3D90881F08.jpg

Well the X-factor results were on last night- that's my queue to go shooting...

got 2 on friday and 4 saturday so was hoping to continue the run.

Went to first spot and this lad came in like a train to about 50 yards, he wouldn't stop for a shot and came in so close he got our wind. He bailed-out and went over the crest of a hill. Managed to call him back to 130yads and let him have it:

P1010097.jpg

The next spot we went down a farmers lane and spotted a fox. He ran like hell from the lamp- but this girl came in to take his place.
    Fairly straightforward form 80yards:

P1010099.jpg

Then the icing on the night.
    Went to a high spot with big fields each side of the lane. Wond was Very strong. Spotted a fox, called and called but wouldn't come. Next thing another fox appears beside the first. It slyly makes it's way to about 140yards before I put it down so it wont get our wind.
    The first fox stays where it is and we keep calling. He comes forward about 10 yards to 250 and sits down. We coax him to come into 230 but then he wont shift. The strong wind is behind me. I aim for the head thinking the bullet will drop into the chest.
    The bullet didn't drop.

230yards headshot (the one on the left)

P1010098-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Do most of you use range finders under the lamp? Do they work under a red light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Do most of you use range finders under the lamp? Do they work under a red light?

Should do, once they can get a reflection off the target they'll work. Not all RF's are cre4ated equally mind, if you buy/use one with poor glass you won't see much with it.

Unless you've got a range finding reticle on your scope it'll be like Glensman said, some shots will get passed up because the shooter may think the fox is too far away, or can't quite figure the clicks or hold over.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

They'll work in complete darkness, ones the laser picks up the target, it doesn't need any light at all.(So I believe, from my own expierence).Obviously you do need some light so you'll point your rangefinder on to the target:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

More success with the .223, this one was making her way towards me I and her oblivious of each other till I switched on the lamp and there she was. so I got quickly down on one knee safety off and BANG:eek: guts everywhere. It was like a sausage factory:eek::eek::eek:

[URL="javascript:void(0);"]PIC_0455.jpg[/URL]

[URL="javascript:void(0);"]PIC_0457.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Took this chap two weeks ago:

1319597534786.jpg

Unusual head on him, any ideas what would cause this?:

1319597733211.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

Image0211-1.jpg

Image0151.jpg

Image01571.jpg

Image01601.jpg

Image01651.jpg

2011/2012 season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

went out the other night foxing with 4gun and we came across a couple of foxes.
    this lad was being shy and just kept trotting back and forward between some reeds and mounds of recently dug up earth as the farmer is trying to drain the field,
    anyway i tracked him over and back as 4gun kept the light on him. (a cluelight with red filter).
    every now and then she would stop and look up for a second as if to say what the hell is going on over there. she was ranging between 220y & 250y i was set for 200y so just aimed a bit high on the shoulder and the next time she stopped i let her have it. 95gr sst to the chest @ 235y f06aeeef.jpg

on the other side of the farm we spotted another lad about 60 or so yards that just ambled away from us not in a hurry but not stopping so i tracked it as it moved and fired.
    at 3250fps and using a t8mod at 80y the report from the hit was louder than the shot its self . 2 in the bag
    the pic doesn't show the damage to the full extent as there might be children watching b339113b.jpg

the pic doesent show it but the second lad was very long

we saw a couple more in the other fields but they were having none of it so we left them for another night

Advertisement