Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was checking the ewes on the top of the farm Wednesday morning. Outside of the top wall is where I head shot that fox the last night. As I was walking along the wall five or six greycrows took to the sky. Yesterday I was away, but today I brought the HMR along, as you do :D Took the low route up to the top wall so I'd be as hidden as I could be. I made my way up along the wall crouched over. The wall is about four or four and a half foot high. It's made up of badly shaped stones, which leave gaps in the wall which get filled by smaller stones. So there were plenty of holes to look through. Got to one point where I had a clear view of where the shot fox was and then I spied movement, a lone greycrow, no sentry :D I left the rifle down and carefully and slowly lifted a heavy blue stone out of the gap making a nice covered V notch, perfect for the HMR minus the bipod.

image_1-1.jpg

I put my Boonie hat in the wall to protect the rifle a bit. My friend was busy pulling strips of gut out of the fox and had his back to me. Slowly I eased the HMR through the gap and steadied up, I had him ranged at 107 yards. There was a fairly strong wind blowing from right to left across me so I guesstimated the windage and gave him a little bit. Squeeze... Pop!

image_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Hornady 55 gr V Max was the last thing she ever tasted...:D
    dsc0084yo.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ARE A BIT GRAPHIC :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

excellent shot zlezlius. how far was it when you shot it.

you more or less blew her head up:D
    zlezlius wrote: »
    She wasn't that far: arround 50 yards when spotted and despite the red filter was on, still started bolting away. With the help uf Fox call UK I got her to turn arround at aprox 100 yards and then bang.

how did you get her to open wide and see what surprise you had for her.:D:D:D

great shot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

5bec887f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

:D

dog worked grand he went through some serious cover to get this fella out he was well hidden, christened the semi auto as well so happy days, i missed a cracking cock due to my own fault ( f"£$king safety)but these things happen, worked well on the whistle ,very obedient,and ranged well. he only seems to go to cover if there is something there is this common ?:confused:

ill pm u to avoid cluttering the photo thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Well done Charlie! You must be like a Cheshire cat! :D
    How was the dog working??
    charlie10 wrote: »
    dog worked grand he went through some serious cover to get this fella out he was well hidden, christened the semi auto as well so happy days, i missed a cracking cock due to my own fault ( f"£$king safety)but these things happen, worked well on the whistle ,very obedient,and ranged well. he only seems to go to cover if there is something there is this common ?:confused:

Would you put your hand into a ditch of thorns if you could see a 50 quid note or would you stick in your paw & feel around trying to find one?
    My fella is rarely wrong when I put him to cover. 99 times out of 100 I put him into to 'birdy' cover & he meets nothing. The vast majority of the times he goes in himself there is a bird in there somewhere!
    They get cute & are not inclined to thorn themselves for nothing... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

just put in a great days shooting with myself and colm we shot 9 cocks between us and seen a lot of birds one beet field we put 30+ hens out of it and no cocks we worked heidi and colms cocker first . lack of stubbles around had us with a chance of plans with the area shooting this was the first time in a long time we did not put a fox out anywhere today vermin control working . we hunted drains ,ditches ,stubbles,beet, and bog gave heidi a break and brought max out god did he work out for his skin bursting ditchs he set a few birds and had a few hard retrieves finished up around 3 o clock lot of lads out this morning banging everywhere great to be back on the birds no bag limit first day but in forced tomorrow 2 birds per gun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

40 1/2 inches nose to tail, off to the taxidermist:D
    qzgbgw.jpg

said id go for a shot myself today no dog or friend, so myself and the semi auto only ,crept down to a pond that i had high hopes for and i wasnt dissapointed about ten mallard and 5 teal broke off it and over my head winds were high and they resembled the flying style of a snipe more than duck!, so picked one bird and stuck with him 3rd shot and down he came.delighted but drowned to the bol**x. home then to remove the two breasts for dinner tonight:) semi auto is christened now cock yesterday mallard today

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Well lads I went out to do a bit of lamping for a few hours last night. We went lamping on a nearby farm and the first field we went into we seen a big dog fox standing there at 140 yards. I mounted the gun on a post and called, he just stood there so I let lead fly.;) 66AAFCAAB7FD474E8CF31B8FDF693E50-0000343911-0002616228-00640L-7AE7991809124208A71D1F5AB45AD6EE.jpg

We drove to another farm and seen two foxes standing at the bottom of the field. I went prone and called one into 70 yards and dropped him. Another big dog fox. The other one disappeared. CAB37419E6264F00880AFBD3B4944067-0000343911-0002616227-00640L-9A9650EBC0ED4F139B590CDB004CFE5D.jpg

We carried on and spoted another dog fox at 100 yards near a plantation. I shot him on the spot and didnt bother calling. 44EA244B24B64A078C20B078152350F0-0000343911-0002616226-00640L-423833B94EA341B685E3BA5D3D5EF616.jpg

The last fox of the night was vixen. Headshot at 70 yards. It was my best night out so far.:D 8AD074B6CEF14E539ACD552B08E37B2D-0000343911-0002616225-00640L-C85E79ABE6714811A3BE8646AFF06251.jpg

• Advertisement

i went out for a stalk yesterday evening on some handy permission that there is deer coming into in the evening and grazing away all night. i knew if i got into position before dark that i would catch something coming out of the bog into the field.
    so i parked up and climbed the gate at the end of the field and stalked up along the edge of the field to the top that bordered the boggy ground that the deer liked to use as their motorway.
    as i stalked down the edge of the ditch i spotted to hares that were playing away not taking any notice of me, (good sign i thought). i got to with in 15y of them before they got spooked.
    with that i settled my self against a rock that gave me a good field of view both left and right. as i sat there the a hare came back by me and stopped almost right beside me. i was feeling good about my cammo at this stage.
    so as it got a little bit dark as the sun was fading i knew i only had about 10 min before it was completely dark so i moved up over the next brow in the field and low and behold there was a lone sika hind i dropped open my 27" harris bypod and steadied my self. she must of heard something because she looked up straight at me but before she could do anything i had taken the shot. a nice neck shot at around 80y she was dead before she hit the ground.
    i scanned the field to make sure she was alone before moving in to tidy up.

e19633e7.jpg

that is my first hind of the season

anyway happy with my self i rang 4gun to let him know how i got on. and i had to meet up with 7.62 rule to buy some bits and pieces from him and i would be close enough to 4gun to justify calling over for a bit of lamping once business had concluded.
    we left 4guns house and headed for some farm land that we had seen foxes in before. i had my .243 and 4gun had his lovely little winchester leaver action .22mag.
    it wasnt long before we saw this lad, he stood there at 80y we didnt even have to call him in so i hit him with the 95gr sst and no 1 was in the bag
    96b1ace8.jpg
    he was a big lad and was the full length of my rifle with the mod on.
    he also weighed 20lb according to my scales
    f939da00.jpg
    we saw one more that hit for the hills as soon as the light came on him and no amount of calling would bring him back.
    on to the next field and we spotted one away off in the distance. 4gun was on the lamp and called her in from way off and i was steady waiting for her to stop, but she kept on coming, so once i felt she was getting to close and not stopping i yelped out a bark and stopped her. bang thump and she dropped at 120y in the chest. 842c73c3.jpg

she seamed to be still moving when we got there so 4gun put one in the back of her head to be sure she was dead.
    she was considerably smaller than the previous dog fox and weighed in at 16lb

i must check my scales against something to make sure it is consistent. the dog was a good bit bigger than the vixen but the scales only showed 4lb. difference.

that was it for the night as we only saw one more on the way back to the house but again it took off as quick as you like

thanks 4gun for some good lamping;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

That was well spent evening Poulo. Well done!
    Hoping to get out myself tonight for some field scanning:D

so this morning i was supposed to gofor a deer with a friend but long story short we didnt,so i invited him up for a shot with his red setter and my pointer, so we split up and done opposite sides of a farm and after meeting two hens in heavy cover with my lad i knew it was only a matter of time before i met a cock,so packed up and drove to the next spot,this place is very open with boggy fields ,so after two hours both i and the dog were getting tired, then all of a sudden the pointer locks on in the middle of a boggy field so one look around and about twenty yards behind the red setter is backing, then the setter creeps up and joins the other lad it was class to see two different breeds doing the same job,then CAW CAW CAW CAW and bang down he came i was absolutely delighted i nearly kissed the dog.

we went out for another evening stalk today on some rough ground near forestry that holds some sika.

its starting to get a bit cooler now, real nice stalking weather.

we parked up at the bottom of the hill and took our time watching as we went up along the edge of some rough ground
    sika are notoriously hard to spot as they are so small and well cammowed to blend into the back round
    anyway we reached a nice big open area that could potentially hold some deer as there was plenty for them to eat. we found a nice mossy bank to lean against and started scanning, man i love the zeiss that i am now running on my sako/truflight its so clear. i turned it down to 6x, that gave me a large field of view and a Crystal clear picture.
    at first i thought there was nothing there but just under a tree i spotted one. i whispered to 4gun that i had one in view and pointed it out. then i spotted another one to the right. a hind and fawn,
    we took our time and we steadied our selves, i was taking the left and 4gun the right.
    147y away i aimed for the head off the animal as it was grazing, a steady squeeze and bang it fell to the ground
    68507672.jpg
    not over yet 4gun had no shot so waited and after i shot his animal ran and headed up hill but fatal mistake it stopped for a split second to see what the hell just happened and bang a nice 200y shot to the neck.
    b0395d02.jpg
    two nice animals and an excellent evening stalk

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Went out last week and took a pop at this lass but missed. So headed back to the field i spotted her in a week later for a wee look and there she was. As soon as the lamp was on her she strolled off in the opposite direction. She wasn't getting away this time so I went after her and after two fields there she was, about 80yds. I got her in the scope and couldn't believe my luck as she must have been spooked making her come towards me. She must have been about 50yds now when she stopped then boom charliette down.

fox411112.jpg

fox41111.jpg

Another one bits the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭driller2

Was out all day shooting,birds in the morning and deer in the evening.great day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Video of my 8 month ESS doing a bit of hunting today, unfortunately the camera phone died before she put up a load of birds. But she is start to hunt and go into cover.

th_FlyWoodhill05Nov11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Had a friend out on the hill this morning. Beautiful frosty morning was a joy to be out. Chested these two at 250 and 270 yards, custom .243 95gr federal premium noslers. Both shots placed perfectly behind the shoulder and hind ran 150yards, calf 80yards. Was disappointed with the knockdown ability of the round tbh. Two easy finds with my GWP but I think if you were body shooting with a .243 in forestry you would find a dog essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnwayne2

fone093.jpgout last night foxing on a bit of permission i just got yestrday evening off a friends neighbour .one of the conditions of the permission was that id help with the annual round up of ferral goats on about 120 acres of commonage to which reluctantly agreed .went out last night and just going in the gate what did i spot in the bushes but this fella eating ivy off the wall.gave him a hornady 55gr vmax and that was that.needless to say farmer was delighted
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/fone093.jpg/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

rsx24j.jpg
    End Result of Day one Ptarmigan hunting in Iceland last Saturday! Serious shooting would highly reccomend it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭steyrprohunter

Im just back from my annual whitetail hunt and got a nice 9 pt buck in the rut. Seen a good few deer this week and last and for once got bearable weather. Bear hunt next!!!

friend of mine was telling me about his 7 year old black lab that he uses hunting phesants and i was eger to see , so i invited him for a shot on our gun club lands . and i was not dissapointed this lab would beat cover like a springer and also had a great nose ,she got sent of a bird and took to the cover like a mad thing and out came this lad who i was happy to drop for her and as you can see retrieved to hand:P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

I went out this morning for an early morning stalk on the hill with a friend of mine. I needed this after finding the headless red stag last weekend. We were climbing away, as the sun was rising over the mountains it looked like the makings of a good day!! I was taking in the scenery and what was around me. Following a mountain stream we stalked along together, something I don’t usually do, but there was a lot of open ground so we reckoned that if we met sika there would a few together. As we going along I glassed one piece of ground that had two birch trees and a bit of cover on it I thought a nice place for deer to be. Sure enough I spotted one calf browsing away about 500meters away we sat down looking across the hill and waited to see if anymore were there and sure enough there were three in total! The buzz began and we decided to stalk to another rocky outcrop for a closer shot and a stalk. We got to the rocks and crawled on our bellies just to the top of the hill and were directly in line with them 130meters out. I waited until I could get a clean head shot with the 243 and crack down went the calf for a few seconds it was quiet and the two other deer vanished and then suddenly appeared about ten meters from the calf I dropped and stopped looking around and my friend took his shot with 25.06 and she stumbled and fell down the hill!!We were delighted with our two deer. And after a quick gralloch I harnessed up and dragged my sika down the mountain! It was the complete package great November morning scenery, stalking, exercise and two sika . This is what hunting is all about!! Long may it last!!
    DSCN1265-Copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Went for a stalk today on an invite to another guy's permission.

After about an hour we came across 3/4 deer in heavy cover.
    I picked the largest doe.
    Shooting off sticks was tough, my heart was beating flat out!

After the shot rang out the deer made it about 15yards before dropping with a very good blood trail. I didn't know Anything could run 15yards after a .270 hit! On closer inspection the expansion wasn't great, the deer was possibly a bit on the close side...

IMG-20111112-00010.jpg

IMG-20111112-00011.jpg

Well done there Glensman. How did you get on with the other lad.

I was out this morning my self and got this little sika hind At 80y head shot and she fell on the spot I was in woods and was shooting from sticks forthe first time.
    I brought out my .308 for a change
    83d9d2a7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Saturday mornings Deer Hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I shoot this lad yeterday morning 12-11-11 range findered at 365yds a first for me. Using my new howa .223, used a hornady 55gr SP. The first shot landed a little low which made him bolt about another 80yds, so I gave an oul squeak and it made him stop and I squeezed a round off. Crosshair on his head. This was the result:D:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

5b590542-d698-404a-ad40-18b7c07b104f-1.jpg lovely shot 300+ neck shot across a valley where she was grazing in a bit of overgrowth couldnt of asked for a more perfect shot to take

• Advertisement

so woke up sunday hangover free ! only one thing for it, a shot!so picked up the pointer and headed for a new piece of land that i acuired thats unshot. so pointer tore up the field a head sniffing and senting and just between the two of us a fox bolts from cover , it was a pure reflex shot and turned him upside down,then dog decided to bring him back by the troat!!
    so on we went and pointer locks a ditch, i send him on and a massive cock breaks the top of the ditch with a hen and two 28gr vips later he is down, measured in at 40 inchs on the button.
    met a couple of snipe which the pointer was happy to point and was very steady,
    one last place to go as he is starting to get tired and so is the lad with me,so after two cocks breaking out the other side of ditchs we headed for the car,and i wanted to do one last ditch. About twenty yards down pointer locks , bird gets up on my side ,i throw up the gun, SH£T! safety on! clicked it off and just as he was dropping down the other side i got a shot off convinced he was hit hard, so myself and dog went through ditch and i could see no sign but dog tore through the next ditch again only to come out 2 mins later backwards with the cock alive in his mouth what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement