Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A few bunnies for the greycrows, camera phone doesn't do well in low light.

image_1.jpg

another hours shooting this evening and another cock and teal!!

wow my post again
    anyway went out for a rabbit tonight more to test out the shooting sticks that i bought 12 months ago:rolleyes: , and i must say i like them ,{x3m1 think there called}anyway walked about 4 fields and rattled two rabbits sub 80 yards with 50 grain american eagle, happy days , then spotted a set of eyes up on a ditch about 120 away, quick squeek and down he came off the ditch to my awaiting v max 55 gr which i loaded while calling. only thing was i hit him squre in the side only to see him jump back over the ditch. i thought f£&k this anyway ,climbed the ditch looked over and there he was 20 yards away on his side dead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

1dfe0b69.jpg

Good days work for me & the pointer. Although he did make a grouse out of 1 pheasant who decided to take off running. For as fast as pheasants are running, after 1 or 2 runners the greyhound ancestry in pointers comes to the fore!! Unfortunately it was the tail that got grabbed first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Couple of snaps of the season so far. All wild birds the one minus the tail is courtesy of the spring who caught him running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

my self and 4gun got a call from my local farmer across the road that has been getting some unwelcome visitors. according to him

but very welcome as far as we are concerned.......:D

anyway we called over this morning to see what was around. but all we saw was a massive 14 point red deer. bo ho.. out of bounds in kerry :D. so i left it on it merry way.

i went back to the farmer to confirm what he had seen and asked was it a red or sika that he saw.

he was fairly sure it was a sika he had seen so we decided to call back again this evening.

low and behold there was the 14 point lying out on the hill as if he was lord of all he surveyed, which i suppose he was. i think he knew he was untouchable.:D

so as we made our way down the farm track a dark figure cought my eye. it was about 500y away but we could see it was a nice sika stag.

excitement started to take hold and we had to calm our selves and take stock of wind and where we could stalk up undetected.

we had to do a 360 and head up a ditch line and threw a ditch to get back out of there view and out of the wind.

a steep hill is all that stood in our way. we edged our way along a ditch with my hart thumping i was getting giddy at the prospect of getting a nice deer.

we came to the corner of the field but there was a brow in the field that hid us from view of the intended target.

i could just see the antler of the deer as he bobbed his head up and down as he grazed. they were still unaware of our presence so we moved up to a fallen tree to get a better shooting position.
    at this stage we were about 100 yards away and we could see a deer come from behind the brow. it was a nice pricket, but that was not the deer we saw from below.
    could there be 2 deer .
    just then i spotted the antler of the lad we spotted earlier.:D
    we were golden. a deer each and they had no idea we were there. we had to wait untill they both presented a good shot. so we were there watching them both and waiting, waiting and watching. untill we both said i'm ready and them BOOM. we both shot simultaneously and got a double report.

both deer were down and we had a big grin across our faces and strolled over cautiously to inspect our prize.

1231c022.jpg
    1533d317.jpg
    095400cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Two short videos of the weekend. The breeze was against us, so that made it interesting!

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

24y68vt.jpg
    Bag by 11.30 yesterday morning!

pics from the last two days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Got my first Pheasant yesterday morning and the dog made her first retrieve, I had a smile from ear to ear for about half of the day.
    I was happy to see the work Ive being doing with the dog has paid off.

20nov114.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Shot this lad Tuesday night. I was only at my new permission 2 minutes and BANG:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Out for a days stalking with a good mate yesterday. Had to work hard for our dinner; didn't see a thing until mid day. Both of us bagged one each in the end. Got to blood the new mod and scope so I'm a happy camper!

1322147641404.jpg

Also got to try out the box I made for the back of the landcruiser - the last big buck I shot in the rut was just put straight in on the carpet and I'm still paying for it with the stench! I made this box, varnished it and sealed the joints so it's a simple case of giving it a wipe out with some disinfectant.

1322147921643.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Nice shooting E.Fudd wot cal are ye use'n? nice set up ye have wot part of the country are ye shooting?

i saw this old girl out stalking and i decided to take her out of her misery as she seamed to be having a tough time.
    as you can see in the photo she was missing her back lower leg and on closer inspection it had hair grown over it so it had healed but it was also very tender and scabby so she must have bin in pain.

we ranged her at 252y and i shot her in the shoulder. there were six other deer further up the hill but all 3 of us thought it was worth loosing a chance at stalking in on the bigger group in order to take her out of her misery.
    2094976a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Shot my first woodcock of the season today.

26112011151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good picture Deeks, they really are a lovely bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

I went out last night with kennells for a spot of fox control on the Kerry Hills. We met six foxes in total!! We got shots at four but missed one :( that was running off when we lamped it! The 223 performed well! Here is a picture of our results two dog foxes and a vixen all in good condition. :D The chickens and turkeys will be safe for another while!! Today we met with the county vet who was looking for foxes for testing and gave him the foxes he said the Kerry foxes were some of the healthiest in the country! ;)

DSCN1267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭223Shooter

Good God pippaS the head on that, more like a wolf:eek:
    did you have them hung up by there ears or something they all look as if they had facelifts!
    bazza888 wrote:
    Nice one PippaS, they don't look too healthy any more.. :p:D
    homerhop wrote:
    holy hell they are fine big looking foxes
    fine big foxes there
    pugw wrote:
    Jes there as good foxes as ive ever seen! There is 2 grand 1s there for the taxidermist!

Ya I gave them an injection of a 40grn Hornady ballistic tip and it worked a treat!! should have said the Kerry foxes are the best looking foxes Bazza888 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

got this fella yesterday morning in Galway. Hopped into field beside block of forestry, saw a doe and fawn feeding close to the fence, but they werent hanging around.

I then spotted this fella out in the field a bit, he had a funny back leg, on closer inspection it had broken and set at a funny angle ?!
    a quick crawl to a brow of a small hill had ma a handy 80yrd shot off the bipod

Photo0004.jpg

He looks like he fell over drunk :D

I stalked into a party of does afterwards only to have them spooked by shots not too far away :mad:

C'est la vie !!

my self and 4gun went out for a bit of fox control the other night.
    we were hoping to get a fox in close so 4gun could blood in his new winchester 94-22.
    anyway i brought us around to a few old places that i used to frequent but there was no sign of anything but i new where there were a couple of fox so we headed out to where they were.
    we got there and positioned our selves on the top of a grassy hill that overlooked a field that must be 800x800y, it gave us the best chance of seeing if there was anything around.
    so with that we flashed the cluelight around from left to right and about half way down the field with the red filter we spotted first 1 then 2 sets of foxy eyes. nice one we were on . with that 4gun started his fox charming as only he can and the slowly made their way up toward us but very reluctant to come at any great pace. they seamed to hover around the 250y mark away from us and after a short time of holding their attention they prity much decided it was not for them and just started to move off slowly.
    ok time for plan B, I ranged them now at this stage at 261y and just sniffing around as foxes do. so i took aim with my .243 with 58gr v-max and as 4gun gave a bit of a yelp they both turned to face us and i fired on one and dropped her on the spot. with that her partner decided i'm out of here and bolted off to the right.
    4gun kept the light scanning the fox as he ran for about 100 yards then stopped and turned around and just sat there. no time for ranging i new he was at least 300 or more so i put the cross-hairs just over his eyes knowing if he was anything out to 400 the bullet would drop into him. crack..... split second later ... thump. sweet fox 2 was down when i ranged back it was 350y.

both fox were shot in the neck and never felt a thing
    cae99884.jpg

good start to the night but we wanted one for the winny. so we moved on to another spot that i thought would have a couple of red lads in it. low and behold the minute we entered the field there was a lad standing there, he took off as soon as the light came on but i kept it on him as .4gun worked his magic, a couple of squeeks and he couldnt resist, he stopped and turned to face us and that was enough. 4gun fired and hit him square in the chest. a hop and a jump later and he fell down dead . with that his partner scurried across to see all the commotion but as soon as the light hit her she was off.
    we were happy anyway. we saw 6 fox in total and shot 3 of them

this is the first of many fox for 4gun's new winchester 94-22
    a15b9c39.jpg

cheers 4gun another night of fox control well done.

these 3 fox went off to the department for testing as i am sure most of ye lads are doing the same at the moment

happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Got another one last night at my new permission. There were 3 in the same field and after a wee squeel with the home made Tenterfield (that seems to be working a treat) curiosity got the better of one vixen.

fox1-12-11.jpg
    BOOM BOOM
    fox21-12-11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Shot this fellow this morning good crisp morning

hi pic of a fox i shot with the 308 steyr tac elite fox was 140 yards sitting down facing me the round took left front leg off along with most of the ribcage shoulder

steyrman2 wrote: »
    hi pic of a fox i shot with the 308 steyr tac elite fox was 140 yards sitting down facing me the round took left front leg off along with most of the ribcage shoulder

nice one steyrman what round do you use for foxes or do you use the same as you use for deer :D

hi poulo 125 soft nose for deer and 110 vmax for foxing

cheers. i have bin using 150 gr sst for deer. i popped a couple of fox with them as well if they pop out while i am out hunting.

i am using my .243 for the red lads now they realy love the 58gr v-max:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ProStalker

hi poulo 125 soft nose for deer and 110 vmax for foxing

What brand are the 110 vmax? Would love to try them, be deadly for head shooting hinds.

ProStalker wrote: »
    What brand are the 110 vmax? Would love to try them, be deadly for head shooting hinds.

hi the are hornady 110 v max

• Advertisement

I went out this afternoon for a bit of rough shooting with the Springer three hours in total. We covered a lot of ground bog, forestry, fields, crossing streams and drains and never ending barbed wire fences!! We got a mixed bag of two snipe two woodcock and a cock pheasant all flushed and retrieved by the Springer. I haven’t been meeting woodcock in the usual numbers anyone else experiencing this?? I met two today and seven yesterday in a few haunts that usually have a lot more. A lot of the ground is very heavy at the moment you would want an inflatable to cover the ground.!!Still in all it was a great day out! The dog worked well and you wouldn’t be bothered about the rain watching her work.
    fox.jpg

Advertisement