Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Went after woodcock in Kerry today. Real rough shooting today up the side of a mountain around a few big plantations. We must have met 30 woodcock. They were coming out thick and very fast heading down the mountain. Between 4 of us we shot 15 woodcock and a pheasant. A great days shooting was had.

fdf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I picked up my (new to me) Remington 870 pump at the weekend. i only got out for a shot with it today for a half hour so i wondered up around the back fields at home. i fired a few practice shot at some targets that i have then wondered up to the fields.

my springer flushed out this bunny for me at about 30 yards and i shot it as it ran straight up from me.

1ac5ccc7.jpg

i am delighted with it and hope to give rosie a chance to show her stuff over the next couple of weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

Another early morning of stalking on the Kerry Mountains was what I was looking forward to all week. At last the weekend was here and my friend and I headed off on this cold morning for the hill. There was a light ground frost and the mountains were slightly white on top. As we headed off we chatted away and after five minutes we said we better shut up or we would end up seeing nothing!! We walked away on up and tried to be quiet as possible but the mountain grass was frozen so it was crunching under foot. As we got to the top of one hill we spotted ten Sika crossing in front of us and they headed for the forestry they had us copped seven does and three stags !!! A raven was calling over head like he was laughing at us or disappointed he didn’t get a free meal. We looked at each other as we were both lying down ready for a shot but it wasn’t to be this time. As we both got up we ploughed on up and down a few gullies and were scanning the ground as we went .Then my friend caught a glimpse of something about five hundred meters away we both lay down and watched a doe and calf feeding after watching them we decided to stalk into them and hope they were there when we got a bit closer. We got to a high point over looking where the deer were but no sign we thought we were out of luck but held out watching below us then I spotted two heads just below us on the other side of a hill they were looking up but didn’t see us but they knew something wasn’t right! All you could see was there neck and heads I said to my friend take the doe first and the calf won’t go far. He took his shot down into the valley and down she dropped a clean head shot twenty seconds later the calf moved slightly and then stood still I fired and dropped him on the spot hitting him at the base of the head. I ranged it after with the range finder and we got into 132meters. After gralloching we headed back to the jeep a mile and half away happy with our mornings work!!
    DSCN1281.jpg
    owen.jpg
    dave.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

good report lads and good shooting what is the setup on rifles and scopes

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

steyrman2 wrote: »
    good report lads and good shooting what is the setup on rifles and scopes
    TRG .308 with a nightforce scope on top and a T8 moderator.:D:D mine is a tikka .243 stainless laminate, Swarvorski scope and jetz suppressor.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

a good mornings hunting got up at 6.50 waited around for ages for it to start getting someway bright
    left the house at half 7
    was at my permission ay 7.50 spotted these two with about 6 more grazing at the forest edge
    stalked about 600 yards and got into position
    at this stage there was only these two hungry feckers left they had moved back out into the field and came about 100 yards closer to my direction
    shot the bigger one first was a nice broadside shot at about 120 yard
    the smaller one turned and ran about 50 yards before turning broad side and presenting itself nicely i couldnt say no and let him have it to
    theres a few lads in work looking for a bit for christmas so there will be some nice eating on them
    had the two gutted and shot by ten past 8
    spent the next hour hawling the two of them back to a lane where i could drive the car down some of the way
    all in all a good mornings shooting

Image0047.jpg

Image0046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

ya thats about as big as they get this is the biggest ive gotten
    a few years back now
    deer4.jpg
    RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Nice shooting Davy. Hope i'm one that'll get a taste Haha! See you for work for half eight bud ;-)

no bother richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

so last night was gonna go out with a lad with the lurchers after a few bunnys!! but a bit bright so grabed my much loved tikka 223!. drove into a local farmers yard and stood out for a quick scan an spotted this vixen at what i estimated a good 180 yards. so cross hairs on the mid section and across the line of the top of her back. pssst boom!!job done

tonight then into a lads place who allows us shoot the river and phesants too! he is big into coursing and was telling us about this lamp shy fox thats around,so before we turned on lamp we put on red filter and agreed that if he came into the lamp within range i wasnt going to delay him.and thats exactl what happened. lamp on and the f$%&er just walked off so with a safe backstop pulled the trigger and literally hit him in the b$%&ix!!!
    distance was about 70 yards. both foxs knocked with 55gr v-max

my self and tack went out for a stalk the other morning but as it happens all the deer are off at slay factor, auditioning for a place pulling santas slay.:rolleyes:

we saw one but it saw us first and dashed out of a bush about 5m from us letting out a loud warning whistle as she sped off over a hill.

ah well there are plenty more out there we thought and trundled on. a short time later we were scanning some rough ground for any movement when i spotted this monster
    4e8acb76.jpg
    4ec975da.jpg

there was a second fox off around 350y away from us but it was hot on a trail of something and soon disappeared behind some ditches

result no deer but kept my promise to the farmer and helped keep his sheep a little safer

OnTheGame wrote: »
    taxidermist with that fella! Beaut!

i left him for the farmer to see so i dont have him any more it was a beautiful example though

daithi55 wrote: »
    he would be a good taxidermist to stitch up a deer calibre round lol

i would agree there was not much left for the taxidermist to stitch

498e5659.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Headed out tonight with one of the lads. was his first time out so i knew id have to be patient. we headed on into the first field where i knew he could get a shot since we do very night. turned on the lamp and light up a rabbit at about 70 yards i handed him the gun closed the bolt and told him flick off the safety when ready. using my home made sticks as a kneeling rest. the rabbit took off and i gave a little lip squeak to get his attention. he stopped again but ran abit, as i said wait for him to stop there was a bang and the bunny takes a tumble.
    Not bad for someones first shot of a rifle, running at 70 yards he broke his spine.
    185727.jpg
    took the picture on the way back and the lamp was dead basically.

on we went and i bagged another fella who hadnt a mark on him.

Then i spotted this lad 20 yards away and fired off the shoulder at the blur rabbit shape in the scope. ended up breaking his back legs but he began to crawl. i quickly reloaded and twisted the mag dial all the way to three and fired again off the shoulder. got him straight in the gut at 25 yards and i couldnt believe the damage.

185728.jpg
    we moved on again and the lamp was dying. we were heading back and we spotted eyes on the hill. the village was in the background and it was over 200 so i wasnt taking a shot. i tried calling and the fox vanished. we spotted him running off left a minute later and lost again. i spotted eyes in the distance and looked through the scope but it was a sheep that wandered off from the rest.
    i called abit more but gave up as we werent having luck with the callers lately and i was crap at it. flicked the lamp on once more and in the light that escapes from the side of the lamp i saw a pair of eyes. i grabbed the lamp and pointed his hand over and here was the fox coming like a train. he cam all the way around 200 yards and came from the side almost behind us to within 20 yards. I jumped on the ground. he stopped and looked at me and clink. empty mag:mad::mad: I never loaded the mag fully at home and never checked it. he took off and we followed him but he headed towards the village direction so we couldnt fire. Pissed off long walk home after that.
    shotgun would of made bits of him:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You don't even need the photo bucket account (thought you really ought to read the excellent thread on posting photos that way by Rovi, johngalway and ssl); if you attach a photo to a post, you can show that image in the post as well.

For example, I click on reply.gif
    I write my post, and attach an image to it, then I click on "Preview Post".
    This shows me the link to the picture. I right-click on that link and choose "Copy Link Address" (it might be something similar if you're using a different browser), and then I put that link in between [img]tags like so:[/img]185762.jpg

And done. There are limits to how much you can post this way, but if you're posting enough to hit those limits, you really ought to go read that thread I mentioned earlier and open a photobucket account anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

My first ever woodcock...

e616ebc3.jpg

9da142bd.jpg

First attempt at gutting and cooking... Better then throwing it away...

AL 555 wrote: »
    First attempt at gutting and cooking... Better then throwing it away...

how and what was he cooked with?

Spunk84 wrote: »
    That was a great read AL 555:P

Not much to tell... It flew out in front of me and I shot it's ass off :D

garv123 wrote: »
    how and what was he cooked with?

I have more pics I will stick them up tonight i just followed a YouTube video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

5 wc getting ready fpr the pot!:)

IMG00429-20111214-2109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

for wc i usually use RC dispersante 7s and 9s /RC sipe or Eley grand prix's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭91hilux

This lad been feeding on odd few ducks and hens !!!! But Santie rang us about his location!!Merry christmas!!!

• Advertisement

i called up to 4gun this evening for a couple of hours of scatter gun practice. we tracked across some bog first where we saw plenty of snipe but they were way to fast for me but 4gun managed to knock one unfortunately we didnt recover it very rough ground.

then we came across some bog pools where 4gun said to watch up for a duck here as he usually sees them here. with that a pair got up just in front of me, they were flying into the wind and it seamed like they were just waiting for me to shoot them but i was to busy messing with the safety that i managed to flick off then on then off again with the excitement. (i really need to get out more)
    so while i was fumbling 4gun knocked a lovely mallard. great shot lad.

we soldiered on for another while then back to the house for half time coffee.

then on to the next spot and again plenty of snipe that i just couldnt get on quick enough. we did spook 1 big pheasant but it was out of our reach.
    then up on to a river bank where we got a flight of duck from our left. both of us fired and at least 3 duck fell and rosie went out to find the one that fell about 50y out in the river. as that was happening 4gun nailed another one from another flight that came from the right.
    all in we had a great hunt and both rosie and alfie the 2 dogs worked very well
    eb993f91.jpg

thanks 4 gun for another great days hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tacticool

Not much to tell,i think everyone can see what it is from pics,no major work done yet but bolt to be replaced with an Oversized filled with Tubbs components and a 3position safety,sako ext,happy with factory barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

From the driven shoot thread - thought I'd share few photos I have on phone of Dunster Castle. Would recommend you drive through Exmoor & stop off here for a walk around. Just has a nice feel about it.

The castle
    a0ddc1e8.jpg

The gun & fishing room
    e2609cb2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Looks a nice spot strange how those old estates have a sort of aura about them it's hard to explain. I bet that gun could tell a story or two if it could talk!

We were planning on heading lamping last night but it was early so we headed out to one of the lads girlfriends before we snuck off lamping.
    She was telling us last week how a fox ate her pet rabbit after getting at the hutch, she was bringing in the horses some night so we could walk the place..
    We were heading on up the long winding drive to the house and we shone the p7 into the field and there the fox was sitting 20 yards inside the gate taking a crap.
    I grabbed the magazine out of the glovebox and jumped out and grabbed the hmr from the back.
    We knew the horses were two fields over and a strong wind was blowing away from them, I kneeled down and rested ontop of the old crappy wobbly gate, lad i was with turned on the p7 and he was 50 yards out running off. he gave a quick squeak and he stopped at about 70 yards and turned sideways to look at us.

I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. thump and he hit the deck.
    Went over and i got him right through the shoulder with a remington 17gr vmax.

he was a fairly big old dog fox missing alot of teeth. No one ever shot the area with the thoroughbreds around and there are 5 or 6 around their land. if it wasnt for the wind we wouldnt have been able to take the shot. went up and checked the horses and they werent even wise of the shot, neither was his gf but she was happy he was got.
    186148.jpg

We we headed back out then at about 10 and didnt see much till 11. Missed a bunnies at 80-100 and got 2. Headshots in the wind with the .17 is something il need practice on :o

We went on again and saw another set of eyes off in the distance at about 400 yards. The wind died down so we chanced calling with the fox caller uk and he came like a train into 30 yards and was knocked with the .243. needless to say he didnt kick. I left my phone in the jeep for the rest of the night since i almost lost it last time so one of the lads have pics of him.

we went on again and inside in another spot we spotted 6 eyes, 2 deer 5 yards apart and i fox sitting 10 yards infront of them. The 2 deer took off running with the bang off the .243 as their little friend took a tumble.
    At least they wont be waiting around when the lads with dogs light them up :mad:

the wind seemed to have the foxes travelling as we saw a few more that weren't playing ball.

my second fox with the hmr. Got the first one 2 weeks ago in a stubble field but couldnt get up to him with the amount of water in it with boots on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Looks a nice spot strange how those old estates have a sort of aura about them it's hard to explain. I bet that gun could tell a story or two if it could talk!

What i found very strange on the grounds but not not odd strange was the pet cemetery.
    All proper headstones with 'jess' beloved friend & companion 8years etc
    Like these folks were into this in a big way. Inherent in their life.
    As you said if the gun could talk - the national trust folks have it now & there is people there walking around telling you about the history. Usually you can't shake them off in these places - I questioned the bejaysus out of 2 of em about the whole place to the point they wanted to get away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

186170.jpg

My Family always get good Christmas presents.
    Sika Stag shot in Late Sept in the Dublin Hills.

Tried in vain to get a Red all this year to complete my Irish Deer Species collection.
    Only have a few days left though.
    Stags out after New Years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

My Family always get good Christmas presents.
    Sika Stag shot in Late Sept in the Dublin Hills.

Tried in vain to get a Red all this year to complete my Irish Deer Species collection.
    Only have a few days left though.
    Stags out after New Years.

That is a very nice job you got there Tackleberrywho. Would love to have something similar myself. Any chance of a pic of the rest of your Irish Deer collection? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Gonzor wrote: »
    That is a very nice job you got there Tackleberrywho. Would love to have something similar myself. Any chance of a pic of the rest of your Irish Deer collection? :)

Go through this thread.
    That was the first professional mounted head I had done.
    I will get fallow mounted when I get a head worthy.

Mostly prickets I shoot or fawns.
    186184.jpg

Big tip, learn to cape correctly if you want a full shoulder mount.
    My efforts were only an afterthought as I was Only given the idea by a friend186185.jpg the morning I shot the deer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Got out with the springer this morning. He has an awful smug look on his face you just know he's as proud as punch with his bird!

186188.JPG

Advertisement