Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Below is one of the foxes we got 2 nights ago that came to the caller in my last post that i didnt get a picture of. we left him out in the field hoping to get a shot at a crow or mag today and yesterday but no look. took a quick pic of him before we threw him in the ditch.
    186227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Went out for an hour today. Hunted this fella to the edge of a bog and the dog flushed him dropped on the first shot too. Went on to flush two more but they broke the far side of the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

heres what i got the last day when out with roxy,(minus 2 snipe) pic isnt great as it was getting dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

nice springer blackstairs ,just said id post the pics of the two heads i got mounted.the sika is a fairly even 8 pointer and the fallow is even enough too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Got this melanistic beauty yesterday over my 7 mth old setter, followed him to the end of a bog twas near dark when i shot him..
    He tried to give us the slip by doubling back at one stage but the dog trailed him like a pro!:) could have kissed the dog i was so happy when i seen him!
    whats makes it even better is that its the first cock shot over the dog.:) Now off to the taxidermist to get him stuffed:D

IMG00182-20110827-1631.jpg

IMG00457-20111223-1748-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

would i be right in saying that bird is a hybrid between melanistic and a blue back:confused::confused: please dont chew me if im wrong:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

charlie10 wrote: »
    would i be right in saying that bird is a hybrid between melanistic and a blue back:confused::confused: please dont chew me if im wrong:(

why would u be chewed:p, I wouldnt say a blue back as they are very light/bright in color.. he could possibly the off-spring of a cross with a wild bird at some stage tho..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

They are called black-necks. Good hardy bird, very strong and weigh very well. Blue backs are smaller birds. This is what i would consider a menalistic http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4496919498_19ae28efd7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Out this morning for 3 hours bagged a brace of mallard and pheasants and one snipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Bagged a brace of cocks today with the springer. Always one of my favourite days out of the season!:)

• Advertisement

went out today with my springer and my friend has his gsp with him.after covering alot of ground all we had to show was a snipe.after some turkey soup we said we could try one more place for some woodcock.the dogs wer tired and we were too,and a while in still no sign of anything.the my springer got a burst of energy and i knew she was on to something.she searched a ditch for about 10 mins and i said either it s tricky fella or hes gone.just as i was walking away calling her up went a lovely cock pheasant,bang,he kept going,bang i gave him the second and he dropped.sent the dogs down and again no sign of him.again my springer took into a clump of bushes,she seemed to be circling it and then who did i see circling too but the cock.up he went again,bang gave him the 3rd.down he went n ran across in front of my friend who jumped on his tail n caught him.it was worth it.picked off a woodcock just beside the van leaving,the springer wasnt in the form for giving up either.good day in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Myself, 2 of my brothers and my dad went out today to deal with a bit of a goat problem. Here was the result:

Some fine shooting today, older brother shot the dark one at 314 yards.

img20111226142745.jpg

img20111226143316.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I saw these boyo's on Christmas day about half hour before dinner.

I have been seeing them on and off the last couple of weeks, give some of the best stalks as the land is so open hard to get close, this pic was taken from in excess of 400 yards with a 10x Zoom lens
    186346.jpg

Wish I had a better cam, or a Rifle that day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

368 yards was as close as I could get.
    Ihad stalked in from 1km mostly on my belly or hands and knees

.186379.jpg

Well decided to give the dogs a rest today and with a good wind blowing and the wood holding a nice few pigeons I decided to go roost shooting. Headed down for before 3 and left when it was dark. Picked up 16 but I know there is a few I missed so will go down with the springer tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Out for an hour this morning. Delighted with the couple of Mallard we got:D
    dsc0167t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

Hi all. Here are a few pictures of a bit of vermin control on a few sheep farms last night myself and kennells. I was really looking forward to a good night out at the foxes I had not been out I in a month or so. The night started off with rain and then dried off. As soon as it did we met our first fox next to a ditch no more than 10 meters away bang thump he doubled up in a heap but as I went to pick him up he dragged himself into heavy cover and couldn’t be got!! I tried to get him but it was too deep. We continued on and met another fox lying down in the middle of the field and a woodcock a couple of feet in front of him! I ranged it for kennels and it was 98 meters he took the shot and that was fox number two. As we travelled on I saw another fox next to the ditch but ran as soon as we lamped it but it stopped as it was called and bang thump fox number three at 141 meters. Kennells and myself then drove on to another farm over the mountain as we were at the bottom of the farm we caught a glimpse of a fox up on the ditch but he jumped off to the other side I thought that was it so I said try the hare distress call and sure enough back he came running in to us and bang thump fox number four was bagged at 78meters. On we went and only two fields up the mountain from the last fox I spotted a pair of eyes again we got ready and ranged it 121 meters the fox stood broadside and kennells dropped him. As we were about to go up to collect the fox another fox comes trotting over to where we shot the last fox and sniffed it and kennells dropped it! That was five and six. Again we travelled on and less than five mins later I saw a fox at the bottom of the valley sitting on top of a rock he didn’t budge I ranged him at 155 meters and kennells fired and fox seven was retrieved after a hard climb back to the jeep with kennells out of breath. As he was walking back to the jeep I saw another fox off to the right of the last one but further out when kennells got back I told him that another fox was down there and it was hanging around and I got my rifle and lay down and ranged it it was 214 meters I watched her thru the scope marking her territory and then sitting down chest on looking back at us .I fired and down she dropped another walk to the bottom of the valley but well worth it for fox number eight! We met the last five foxes within the hour. Back to the jeep and headed off down the mountain to the next farm and we saw another fox at the bottom of another valley I ranged it and it was 405 meters but you couldn’t pick the fox out clearly because it started to rain so I started calling and he came up the hill going thru the cover I was catching glimpses of him in and out but there was a field at the end he had to come into and sure enough he did and was dropped at 98 meters. We decided to head home after that and when we were at the bottom of the farm I saw another fox lying down beside a stone wall and another woodcock in front of him crack thump fox number ten was dispatched at 95 meters and the woodcock flew off!! It was a perfect night for it with the mild weather and not too much Kerry mist!!! The farmers wife took the pics in the day light on one of the farms and was only delighted to oblige!!
    DSCN1319f.jpg

Shot this Grey this morning at 123m with the 243 58 grain
    DSCN1324.jpg

New Range Finder - New Toy :D
    DSCN1325.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

there fair dirty foxes must of been wet ground or bog?
    the ones up or do be spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

They were clean but when you have a heap of foxes that were shot on top of each other in the back of jeep with blood coming out of the wounds there coats will get dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

this is my first attempt at doing this to a head
    worked out fairly well i think

shot this lad over two weeks ago have a picture of it on here a few posts back
    il stick up how to do it in the tips section soon
    deleted the pics i had of the steps by accident so il do it with another whenever i get one

IMG_0817.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0815.jpg
    P9220090.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Biggest fell here was a monster at a dressed weight of 169kg

04102011059.jpg

07102011061.jpg

13102010018.jpg

26102011084.jpg

garyc007 wrote: »
    went for a walk to get rid of the hangover yesterday and got another woodcock,will stick up a pic later,took a couple of pics of the pointer on one before that but only one came out okay

pics arent great,think il have to get myself a hatcam

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

Carcass extraction in style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

He was an runner for about 45 minutes. on our way home having given up hope the dog poked her head in a bush on a steep railway embankment, which had stopped the ducks getaway . It was a good 200m from where he went down.

duck.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Got another nice cock & a woodcock after this. Good shots & good retrieves, lucy was working unreal and trailed this bird for ages. When he broke he hit the electric fence and she very nearly caught him, I left him go out a bit & the 36gr No. 5 folded him in the air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Got out today at first light and was sitting waiting overlooking a clearing for any deer to cross. By 9.30am I said it was time to move on a bit and look elsewhere. Only walked 50y and there was this Doe calf eating away about 125y off through the trees and a little down the slope.

Took my time and set up prone for the shot, she still didn't know of my presence there. Aimed again for the front shoulder/spine shot about one third down from the top of her back.
    Took up the trigger pressure and let off the 155gr Hornday BT round. She dropped where she stood. But with that another Doe calf that I didn't see took flight. She stopped but not long enough for a shot. There for next time.
    I managed to put her over my shoulders for the carry out of the forest. Not the easiest for this auld lad, with rifle and tri-poles.

I'm liking those balistic tip rounds. Again a small entry hole and instant expansion with a large hole on the inside of the rib cage but no exit wound.

I got to follow a Buck through the forest for a while after but he was only fooling with me and any time I raised the rifle he was on the move again.

Sako 75 Varmint Laminated + fluted barrel (with synthetic stock) in .308 with a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 + tactical turrets

476eb34e.jpg

8d05cdaa.jpg

Shoot2kill wrote: »
    Got another nice cock & a woodcock after this. Good shots & good retrieves, lucy was working unreal and trailed this bird for ages. When he broke he hit the electric fence and she very nearly caught him, I left him go out a bit & the 36gr No. 5 folded him in the air :D

Well nice dog tell me is that a small bit of tan colour on her face? Is she a sprocker I never saw that marking on a springer before. Fine bitch though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

picture.php?albumid=1005&pictureid=11603her first time off the long rope set him nicely but didnt want to bring him back decided to try and pluck him instead:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Well nice dog tell me is that a small bit of tan colour on her face? Is she a sprocker I never saw that marking on a springer before. Fine bitch though:)

Both her mother and father were liver & white springers, but definately somewhere back the line a cocker got a look in :D All the other pups in her litter were just liver and white, no tan at all, weird I know...

She's a serious bitch though, I know everyone says it about there own but she is without a doubt the best dog we ever had and I'm talking about in the last 30yrs. Serious nose on her!

Advertisement