Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Went out on the 28th dec with a mate of mine in Tip. Browning 12 bore couldn't make it so it was just the two of us. We set out late around 10am. We stalked gorse, native woodland and fields but no joy. It was dry, little wind but there was rain about. We agreed that if we came across deer we would be catching them by surprise so we put our magnification down as low as possible. 
    We were walking through pretty much our last field, it was long 400yds which was raised in the middle. As we approached the middle I spotted a deers head pop up at the far wall against a woodland. We dropped to the ground got our bipods down. It and 4 others jumped the wall and ran the length of the field. We were trained on them all the way. They were 4 does and a calf. They ran up to the wall when my mate  gave a call of a calf. With that the lead doe stopped and turned broadside to us at 150yrds. Big mistake. My mate took her behind the shoulder with a 168 gr Hornaday tap .308 from his Sako 85 stainless synthetic, ASE mod. She dropped dead so quick it didn't startely the rest of the herd. They just moved away from the wall towards the middle of the field where i took a standing shot at 120 yards at the biggest doe pictured below. First time using 165gr remmington accutip .308. She dropped dead on the spot. The other 3 then ran into rushes at the edge of the lake out of sight.
    42aff2e2.jpg
    002d0cd9.jpg

We made the guns safe and ran towards the area to see could we get another.We couldn't believe what happened next. 7 more deer came from the wood which the first group came from. We didn't hear any shots but something deffinitly spooked them all to come out. We ran to the middle of the field to get a line of sight from a prone position. My mate took a shot at a calf 220 yards and hit it in the front haunch. It was down but required a follow up shot.  I took a high shoulder shot at the nearest doe to it and dropped it dead. 
    We gralloched the deer and left to get the jeep. On our return we seen some birds near one of the carcasses. A crow, magpie and a gigantic bird hover a few feet above which must have been a sea eagle. Black with some grey tips on its wings. Absolutely massive. The photo is of a large crow at the same altitude as it. Nice to see.
    f5371f8e.jpg

We put our success in getting 4 deer down to the BT ammo. The deer are killed so quick that the rest of the herd aren't startled. 
    ea4c869b.jpg
    Happy Hunting. 

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Went for a walk there this evening with the dogs i got this fella. picked up a 5 instead of a 7 and didn't notice there wasnt much eating in him after words :o
    Photo0236.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

A few pictures of Brent Geese flighting at dusk on the North Slob Wexford.

DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2356.jpg

DSCF2353.jpg

DSCF2349.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

I decided to go out on my own this evening to one of my permissions to see if I could bag myself a Sika doe. No one else hunts on this ground and there is always a good chance of bagging a deer. Nine times out of ten I have got a deer here. Its a place where you sit and wait. I got to where I usually sit and glassed the edge of the forestry and there is one grassy patch in the middle of the forestry where I spotted a doe grazing she was in between two trees and branches were coming out across her . I waited and watched her for ten minutes and also ranged it. She was out at 163meters and when she presented a good clean shot I took it and she dropped on the spot with a head shot! A nice way to round off the holidays !! Back to work tomorrowL
    005-1.jpg

008.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

one is of the new edition to the family 16 months old,another is of a lake we came across and got permission to shoot and is a serious spot for mallard ,another is of me after shooting the buddys dogs first bird,another is of a trained lab belong to another lad after retrieving a cock i shot for him,and finally a phesant and duck pie containing roast veg that i threw together it was lovely yum yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

a couple of pics here i didnt put up before, said id stick them up now and il hopefully have some new ones in 2 weeks when i get out next.the english pointer decided shed work that day,she takes her notions.again apologies for any poor quality pic in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Was out this morning with the rifle I had intended going out last night after a fox until the weather took a turn for the worse. I wanted to try out the tenterfield whistle I had made out of the lid off a tin of beans.

I called in a field for well over a half an hour with a variety of calls but nothing stuck their head out of the ditch so I decided to walk on and see could I meet a grey crow or magpie on the ground anywhere.

I was walking along the tramline in some winter barley when a crow got up on my left side from behind a patch of briars he flew in front of me and landed about 70 yards in front of me in a grassy field. low and behold it was a grey back.

The wind was blowing strong into my face and I was wondering why he hadn't seen me. The ground was too muddy to take a knee so I tried a shot off the shoulder I got down and adjusted the sling fully expecting him to be gone when I stuck my head back up over the ditch, but he was still there.

I put the crosshairs on him and pulled the trigger, I momentarily lost sight of him but there was a nice pop as the 55grain V-max struck home.

I went over to him to collect my wings but all I had was a right wing the left wing had been blown off, I found it out in the field a bit.

03012012181.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Got this boyo ten minutes ago.
    My fist tipp fox of many(of many) ;)

187106.jpg

He was shot almost at my feet.
    Galloped up to a squeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

day2.jpg

Mondays bag between two of us:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So today is/was the last day off work :(

Got up at 06:40, quick bowl of porridge and pack gear into the car. Drove to the shore, met the brother and a few friends.

We fired a nice few shots but most birds were realistically too high and fast for our collective talents. Cold morning but enjoyable all the same and some "game curry" ingredients in the bag too.

Apologies about quality, not the steadiest hand in the wind.

img20120104090315.jpg

Discussion thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056504287

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We headed out lamping last night for a few hour, we weren't too hopeful as the full moon cast a huge shadow of us on the ground and we could make out animals at long range again.
    soafter the debate about the wind i took the hmr out as id had died down abit anyway.
    not long into our trip we met the first red fella, he was sitting in a ditch at about 140 yards. We both got down looking at him through the scope. The lad i was with couldnt make him out in the scope on 6x but on 12x i could see the grin on his face. I steadied myself and took a deep breath and placed the cross hairs high on his chest/neck accounting for abit of drop. I got dead steady so was confident to squeeze the trigger with the lamp man telling me il never get him, there was a bang followed by a loud thud and down he went without moving a inch. happy as a big in $hit i ran up the field and found he was a decent sized dog fox. He was shot using hornday 20gr's with the hmr.
    187435.jpg
    photos not great but off with the tail and on we went.

we spotted another set of eyes about 50 yards inside another field not to far away. we walked up to the gap and i rested on the gate. it was a young fox lying down in the field. I took the shot and managed to pull it and fire out over him:mad::o queue me getting a slagging for hitting the last fella and missing this sitter of a shot. Absolutely hate using gates as a rest but there was no where else.

we walked back to the jeep and headed off to another spot. in we went and we spotted a fox sitting on a dirt path about 100 yards away, we both got down and he wasnt going anywhere, I got dead comfortable on him and squeezed the trigger, as i did so there was a simultaneous bang from the .234 and down he went, followed by abit of laughter of us claiming who hit him. (.243 obviously got their first) on inspection the bullet went straight down through his chest and never exited.

we headed off into the next few fields and we spotted a fox at about 200 yards. we tried calling but he just kept walking along the end of the field. we were both lying down and i lifted my head for a look up when under the beam of the lamp i saw another shadow. i told the lampman lower the lamp and pointed to the other fella and there was vixen trotting along underneath the beam of the lamp at about 70 yards. she stopped when i spoke and just stared, .243 through the front shoulder turned her lights out.
    On we went again to the last spot where on arrival within two minutes we saw another pair of eyes at about 170 yards. We tried calling but he didnt pay attention. The lamp mans phone started ringing the fox turned and sat down and listened to nokia tune without budging. He soon had a 100gr bullet heading his way and he dropped dead on the spot. Who knew nokia tune worked as a caller? ;):rolleyes:

4 foxes for the night wasnt too bad, even though my miss should have made it 5. off out again tonight hopefully.

No pictures of the other 3 but il have to get a picture of the collection of the tails building up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

f2353040-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

10:30 tonight after resolving my zero issues. Happy to now be back on track. Roll on Lambing season.:D:D:D

fox2012-01-06223410.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Went out last night for a shine, the full moon and the wet ground made it tough enough! Met this lad lamping off an old track, fired off the roof, had the caller on but it only held his interest for a few seconds (did enough to stop him taking off), he started moving away again and I thought he wouldnt stop so I decided to fire him on the move before he reached the far ditch. I aimed for the front shoulder area, it hit him a bit low but he went straight down at 150 yards.
    dsc00641n.jpg
    By pugw at 2012-01-07
    Its amazing that you meet foxes in the same old spots as years before, met this lad at the bottom of a deep grassy valley, he was well bellow me so i got down on the bipod and steadied myself, I ranged him to about 180 I was glad i did as he seemed a lot closer, I aimed low on him to allow for the fall of ground it het him in the mid shoulder and exited breaking his front leg.
    dsc00643fl.jpg
    By pugw at 2012-01-07

Met another fox that wouldnt come down from the brow of a hill and 2 more that took off like greyhounds. Didnt think the breeding had started properly yet until I met 3 in the one field on the way home, the caller brought 1 in but between unsafe shots and a breakdown in communications between myself and the lampman we made a ba*ls of it and didnt get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

Photographed a sika hind being shot today.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Great shots, have you a decent camera. Fine head on the stag running away!

pugw wrote: »

Good enough camera. Don't get to use it much but left the rifle at home today. Yea nice stag all right, saw a few good ones today....

My Dad and I hit the shore this morning, overcast sky and not a puff of wind. Very nice weather for a stroll. We did a bit of stalking along the shoreline to see could we get any duck which were feeding in the shallows.

At our first spot I could hear a mallard calling and saw too duck swim out into deeper water. Thought that was our chance gone in that area but we continued sneaking along and I saw a few duck about 50 yards up ahead. They were very tight to the shore but there were reeds half way between us blocking us from direct line of sight. My Dad went in front and when we reached the reeds, he stood. The duck I had spotted were teal and on seeing my Dad they took off. With 25 ish yards reaming he loosed both shots from his 30 year old Baikal side by side.

For a split second I thought he had missed but as I came up beside him I saw 4 teal still in the water. 4 birds from 2 shots, I'll never hear the end of it. Beautiful colouring on the male birds.

img20120107095029.jpg

img20120107095109.jpg

Think I'll redo the wood on the old mans SxS this year as it's not in the best of condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

pugw wrote: »

Great pics jason what caliber and distance was the hind shot seeing the strike and exit wound i dont think she went to far

• Advertisement

steyrman2 wrote: »
    Great pics jason what caliber and distance was the hind shot seeing the strike and exit wound i dont think she went to far

.270 130g sst at 140 yards. She didn't go ten yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

After duck and had no dog with me so I left him where he was

2012-01-08095500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

This is the weekends bag from Waterford to Kerry!! I went to Waterford Sat for some duck hunting with a lad from that area and a cracking day was had on the river it was like an episode of swamp people the lads were great shots and well able to drive a boat!!
    Thanks to the boys in Waterford, i'll return the favour next weekend.
    DSCN1326.jpg

I returned to Kerry that evening and went fox shooting met alot of foxes but with the bright moon the foxes had the advantage on us but we still bagged one dog fox on the sheep farm. The next morning i headed out for some wood cock and had a good morning met twelve shot four woodies!! In total we had nine teal a cock pheasant a fox and four woodies!!!!

and.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Shot this lad 25 mins ago outside in the field with 100 lambs .308 WITH 125 B-TIPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

my self and kennels went out for a shot last night up around my home turf, we had a little help from kennels brother in law who was happy to come along for the crack and lamp for us.

the first field we went into there were 3 fox in it, this is the same field that i shot 2 in only a couple of weeks ago and i was surprised to see 3 more in it again so soon.
    anyway we had one lad called in to us and was about 150y ish i think as i didnt get to range it. and of course i missed that one:o. not good when you have guests,
    but i had a second chance to redeem my self, there was a second fox that was sitting looking at us and would not come in to the caller.
    i got down on the ground a placed my cross hairs above his eyes as i new he was further than 200y. you all now that tell tale sound by now of a moderated rifle and the bullet cutting threw the air then a distant THUMP.
    the 58gr v-max had found its mark:D.
    we were 44yards from a tree as our marker and walked quiet a bit down to the fox that was shot threw the neck. ranged back to the tree and took 44 from it to give it a range of 346 yards.:eek:

while standing there i what is a massive field we spotted another set of eyes in the next field,
    we made our way around to the far side of that field for a better shooting position and we saw 2 more fox a dog and a vixen that were feeling amorous, so to speak.
    we shot one at 188y and the other lad ran but as is often the case the fox didnt know where the shot came from and first ran towards us then back to where we shot the first one. we managed to stop it with a couple of squeeks from kennels and then BANG-- THUMP second fox down at 196y .

on threw a couple more fields and we spotted 2 more fox that at first came running to the caller but they both spooked for some reason just before we got a shot off. but one of them thought he was out of range at 206 yards on a ditch, big mistake we knocked him with no trouble, his partner was long gone at this stage. it was a handsome big dog fox.
    bf73167d.jpg

we saw a couple more fox but no shot presented so we called it a night. this all happened in about 1.5 hrs and i was back home in just over 2 hrs from start to finish.

thanks to kennels and his brother in law for a good night out shooting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

FirstFox.jpg[IMG][/img]Fox.jpg
    Dear-1-1.jpg

Few photos of my Prickler i got a while back with the .243 around 100 yards. Also the two foxes, one got with .243 at 134 yards that's the one with the lamp in it the other one taking with .17hmr at 100 yards.

My brother and father went out yesterday (I had to work) and bagged these fellas.

snipe2pheasant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

I went lamping last night even though it was quite foggy with another lad since we hadnt been out in a while on his gun club land. We spoted a big dog fox first who was out for a midnight run as he was gone when we got out of the jeep!:mad: Later we spoted this nice vixen about 100 odd yards away, I put the red dot on her head and let lead fly. Heard my favorite sound the bang and thump so I was happy. We lamped another few fields after and seen nothing so we called it a night. 5B124BBBF8F34CDBAA56521A2ECBEF1F-0000343911-0002703592-00800L-22F2EF1514D544FDA70CDBCB26ABF5F9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Was out lamping Wednesday night, shot 5 foxes here they are.
    I call this one "just 5 more minutes mammy"
    acc85091.jpg
    And this one is called "vulpine rhinoplasty"
    3465d2ca.jpg
    This one is called "I've got my eye on you"
    b40bbb8d.jpg
    This one is called "Jesus you have me head wrecked"
    d7ef6717.jpg
    And this one is called "I've got a splitting headache"
    42b41e64.jpg
    All foxes were harmed in the making of this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

This was my first charlie of 2012. called him in with a vixen call on the ucaller. He was a big dog fox teeth all worn and only half a tail. 100yard shot with 55gr SP.

dogfox12-1-12.jpg

dogfox12-1-122.jpg

dogfox12-1-123.jpg

Advertisement