Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

2 foxes from this morning stalking no deer but foxes are always welcome tails off for the vermin count .308 using 150 rws

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Here's my first charlie that I got today with my shotty.
    We busted 4 today but I just got a pic off my one.

shottyfox.jpg

mefox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Is that a Lanber 2077 shottie lee?

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Is that a Lanber 2077 shottie lee?
    Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭PippaSpaniel

I went out wed night to a dairy farm with Kennells because the farmer said there were a few foxes hanging around the sheds and wanted them removed. We were driving through the farm no more than two minutes when I spotted a dog fox trotting away down the field. Kennels got himself ready and I held the lamp on the fox I gave one squeak enough for him to stop and look and kennels dispatched him on the spot with his 223. We collected our fox and drove on through the fields but nothing else showed up! We left that farm and headed on to small sheep farm this time kennels on the lamp we saw a fox at the bottom of the field I got set up and I started calling and the fox came running in zig zagging up the field at some speed I followed the fox thru the scope and waited for the fox to stop and it did, I squeezed on the trigger and click!! I had not closed the bolt properly and the fox was off I was fairly mad with my mistake!! With a few f**ks we carried on and thru the farm and saw another fox walking thru the rushes taking no notice of the lamp I got ready again and this time with one squeak the fox stopped up and I dispatched him with a shoulder shot from the 243 it made up for the last f**k up!! We decided to call it a night and headed home with our two dog foxes one weighed in at 18 lbs!!
    DSCN1338.jpg

The following night we went out myself and kennels again for sheep country again to see what foxes were moving we had a great few hours and shot five foxes one of them had a hares head in his mouth I dispatched him as he was about to cross a ditch!! I took a picture of him with the hare in his mouth!
    fox-1.jpg
    DSCN1345.jpg
    I carried a lad for a bit of stalking sat morning here in Kerry we headed off for the mountains and stalked for a few hours on some challenging ground but didn’t see anything it was very windy and usually with high winds deer are a no show on the open ground from my experience .When we got back we had a bite to eat and mug of tea and I decided to bring him to see a few red deer which he had never seen. We got to our location and he got out his camera and took a few pictures of the herd of reds all in the national park. As evening was getting close I said we better head off to where we were going to sit and wait for a few Sika to emerge from the forestry. When we got there we walked on down a track to where we going to sit and wait over looking some forestry and fields just as we got to the end of the path I spotted three Sika does coming out of the forestry no more than twenty meters away looking at us I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed he raised his rifle and dropped one of the does with a head shot! The other two ran into the trees and we walked over and watched them and there were four more inside looking out at us! We were happy with our lot and it was getting dark so we gralloched our deer. We walked back and a couple more does walked out of the wood just looking at us it was nice to see cause most places now they take off the minute they see you!! The lad from Kilkenny was happy with the day out and his first Sika doe this year. :D:D:D
    deer-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice one lee70 what setup are you using??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

good going there pippa, nice to get a fox with something in its mouth. well done.

what round do you use on the fox with the .243. i am having great success with the 58g v-max, very flat and the 95g sst for deer good combo;)

Hi poulo i use 58grain hornady ballistic tip very flat shooting alright!! Might catch you next weekend?

Nice one lee70 what setup are you using??
    The pic at the top i'm using a Howa 1500 in .223 docter optics and a wildcat p8 mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

was out rough shooting for a while saturday,seen a lot of hens and a few woodcock but i wasnt on form for the woodcock. went out yesterday with my springer and got this lad so was happy enough,might try some ducks later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Huntertom365

burren.jpg

last weekends bag between 4 of us:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Went out foxing last night on a buddy's farm. Nice spot and we always see a few charlie's snooping around the place.

Drove out the passage in the jeep to where the land around you dips a bit and there's a sort of half bowl of land out in front of you, with a nice bit of cover up the far side, always worth a call. Bought a new U-caller over xmas so threw that on & within in 2 mins the first set of eyes of the night appeared. The fox ran along the top of the brow and I knew it was going to try wind us. Luckily for us charlie came down off the brow just to our left & paused broad side.....Bang! A 100gr from the .243 at 100 yrds did the job nicely. Very healthy looking vixen.

After that we crossed over the other side of the road where all the fields had been covered with slurry yesterday. We saw nothing there but threw on the caller and after about 5mins a set of eyes appeared, I think he came from a plantation that's a field over in a neighbouring farm. This one was a lot more cautious to the call but all the same crept away down towards us. I took my shot which I was well relaxed taking and was on target @ 180yrds. Another very healthy looking fox, a dog fox this time.

We then headed on down towards the river that runs through the farm, there's a lovely bit of cover runs back one side of it, always a nice spot for a woodcock. There's a concrete bridge going over the river & just as we went out over it, I spotted the eyes out in the field off the lights of the jeep. I jumped out and grabbed the gun, the new green filter on the light force kept him sitting where he was. Fired the shot and he ran.... I couldn't believe it, I knew I'd been on target from that very distinctive thump & that he should have went down like a sack of spuds. He ran about 80yrds at full tilt and hit the ditch running. I went back out this morning and as you'll see from the pics, I've no idea how he made it that far even:eek: But in fairness I must have flinched taking the shot, I had it on the shoulder..

Brought the two young pups with me & gave them a good wiff of him too..

Here's one from wed night 150yrd head shot
    2012-01-18213640.jpg

And here's another one from last night (friday)
    2012-01-20210523fox.jpg
    2012-01-20210457fox.jpg
    2012-01-20213245fox.jpg

A nice ending to the week with fox No.3
    2012-01-22114706fox-1.jpg

my self and 4gun went out for a stalk this evening. but while we were chatting away on our way up threw some fields 4gun spotted 2 very white tails pronking away from us. so as we stood there feeling sorry for our selves, this little charlie crossed our path about 70y away.
    he didnt pay us a bit of notice, so i gave him a bit of a squeek to stop him and i bang went my .308.

f71949b6.jpg

this one is for you tommyboy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

got a phone call from a farmer that i didnt know saying he had a problem with foxs so called back and knocked this vixen .farmer asked then would i shoot a few deer ,said i couldnt but a friend could happy days,

earlier then dropped this double mallard ,one was winged which dog gave ten mins swimming around the pond after and finaly retrieved and then went back in for the dead one ,i really love springers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

After yesterday's day out.

90c89955.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

That fox is a very odd colour. Do ye get many like him down there. You saw yourself that the foxes around me are very red in colour

thats not the first like that. i shot one very grey one there a few months back. and i have shot a few not as grey as this lad. he was a good size dog fox. no doubt there are going to be a few more like him around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Must be in the breeding of the foxes down there so

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

Was out with the shotgun for the first time in months for a few roosting woodies and got this pic of my springer. The flash turned her into something creepy!

First charlie of the week. I was using the Tenterfield I made a while back tonight. I was trying to call in a fox that was calling in the field next to me but when I swung to the right I spotted a pair off amber eyes, So it was off with the light shouldered the .223 back on with the light then BOOM:D:D:D

Another one bites the bullet.

2012-01-23213104fox.jpg
    2012-01-23213142fox.jpg

i am jusy putting this photo up for 4gun. it was a nice 100y shot square into the chest with his winchester .22 magnum leaver gun

98c4c915.jpg

Went out last night myself and a few of the shiners we got 3. Two charlie got busted with the 220 the other with the 223 here's the one I got.

2012-01-2421581fox0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Was using the new X7R,very good light but could do with filter kit for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

iTom wrote: »
    Was using the new X7R,very good light but could do with filter kit for them.

Well done Tom. Question for you, how far could you identify a foxes body with that torch please? And what were the conditions on the night, thanks.

Well the first one was about 250 yards when I seen him and called him into about 150 to 170 and BANG.
    The other three were about 200 yard and called them into 150 or less.
    The only fault is I think is you need a filter for them as the light on it own is too white bright and they fox will move as with the filter the will stay and look back at you,that is only my opinion.
    Conditions were perfect lovely clear night.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Nice shooting iTom. Whats your setup?

• Advertisement

Using a Tikka T3 TAC and Night force scope. Great piece of kit and very good for foxes.

Advertisement