Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

heres a pic from a night out last year
    IMG_0266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

i got these the other evening out sunning themselves, .22lr sako finnfire,winchesters subsonics,125yrds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

sounder wrote: »
    thanks shooting well with the tikka.243

Im shooting well with my tikka.223 as well got these foxes on my patch tonight 4 in total didnt get to bring one body for the photo though:rolleyes:
    4foxes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Tikka,

Nice shooting. I notice you skin the tails off, good idea. Is it easy? I assume it is a case of running the knife around the egde of the tail & then pulling it off? I would prfer to practice this way rather than take the whole lot off for "smelly" reasons after....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Trojan 911
    I have skinned a few animals and was able to pull them off. It takes a bit of practice. I know a fella who has done loads and he can just whip one off that I might find difficult. Tikkamark might have some tips but he puts it down to experince.

I gave up on this roadkill otter and just left the muscle and bone in the tail :eek:

2007_0814corkpostmortem0002Small.jpg

• Advertisement

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Tikka,

Nice shooting. I notice you skin the tails off, good idea. Is it easy? I assume it is a case of running the knife around the egde of the tail & then pulling it off? I would prfer to practice this way rather than take the whole lot off for "smelly" reasons after....

TJ911...

Thats pretty much how you do it but the knife has to be razor sharp to do it quickly cut back about 2" from the rear of the fox cut lightly so as to avoid cutting the sinues if you do this it can be a real tug of war to get it off:p
    The tail will eventually go smelly no matter what you do unless you stick it in a freezer only reason i do it this way is its neater and the knife stays sharper longer rather than trying to cut through bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Myself and Alan got out for a few pigeons on Saturday. A good day, birds coming in regularly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Skin back skin at end of body near base of tail and slightly down tail to expose some of the tail bone. At this stage there are two ways to remove the bone from tail (easier to do when fox is warm / freshly shot but can also be done when cold)

1.Tie some strong string (unbreakable nylon....baler twine) to a branch or gate. Make a lasso at other end and close tightly around base of tail. Tug fox's body and tail will easily slide off bone

2.Put two pieces of strong timber at each side of base of tail (like large clothes peg) and holding tightly to the bone, tug to remove tail ( more difficult but easy with practice)

To preserve tail when at home cut a small slit at end of tail. Pour in some Borax ( available at some chemists & vet supply stores). Pour in borax at base of tail and use a piece of wire to force borax down through tail. The wire and borax power will come out through slit cut at tail end. When this is achieved put some dry borax in a plastic bag. Put tail in this bag......hold top of bag tightly and shake to get borax into all the fur on tail. Remove from bag and allow to dry in a cool, airy, dry shed.

When dry & cured (8-10 days)...when tail is stiff..... excess borax can be shaken from tail.

Done properly the tail will always stay preserved and never smell / decay. The tail will be stiff when dry. If a soft flexible tail is required then the tail will need to be pickled and tanned. (a lot more work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

1678695439_df11b0a2ae.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

test2, if this not work im goin to the pub, could have design a rocket in the time it has taken me to do this.

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/blueprint.pdf

Just thought I'd save you the hassle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

here's a few pics from me with the ferrets yesterday, a picture of my guns and of my rifle when i shot a pair of grazers a few months ago. sorry about me blocking out my face lads, but irelands too small of a country to put my face on the boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Was out for an hour or two this afternoon just walking a local river bank and doing a bit of crow calling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Nice hunting!

Here's one of my pup on his first day.

PIC_0011-6.jpg

Mallards.

Got three cock pheasants on the first day anf three and a woodcock on Sunday - delighted.

Hope it works this time.

Thanks for being so patient - did it before but couldn't remember how!

Thanks for the compliment Stevoman - she's 3 years old - black cocker spaniel. She has a brilliant nose and lets nothing behind. I just have to do some more work on retrieving - good sometimes not other times.

Thanks N.O.I.P.

I hope it works this time. I though I tried that one but kept getting INVALID FILE message.

Here it goes again!

I see what I was doing wrong - I was trying to upload that link in 'manage attachments' at end of post - thanks again.

Hollywithpheasantdummy.jpg

I've had no duck shooting this year - ponds have dried up - no rain.

I live in the centre of Dublin and imagine my surprise when I saw these three in the garden as I was leaving for work.

100_0037-1.jpg

100_0041.jpg

100_0042.jpg

Waterfowl:

1934094029_42285aa43f_o.jpg

Just a fly-by lads, nothing to see here, move along now.:D:D

Pintail:

1959962656_3f19103ac9_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Great picture Double Barrell!

Thank you Mr. Fudd. We all get lucky sometimes, :) it only took 40 plus shots to get 5-6 keepers. :D

1959731491_d300ea3969_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

hello lads went for a walk about this evening with my gsp cleo, walked a good bit of bog land, cleo didnt seem too interested in much, nothing stirring at all apart from 4 mallard that flew overhead, out of range of the 36g of 7s i had in. i went thru a small hazel wood next, deer tracks all over the place, dog also found a good few fox droppings. just out of the wood her mood changed and she ment business, then up goes her front paw and tail rock solid, its nearly cheating a little! i give command to move forward and up pops the snipe! the speed of them is something else, got a single shot off at around 40yds. flew a further 20yds and dropped, first snipe for me also first shot over my eleven month old gsp. both of us went home happy :D:D
    [IMG][/img]snipe001.jpg

Nice shooting 17REM. It's hard to beat snipe shooting.
    Thank God Ireland has plenty off it!
    Tasty little blighters too!

PIC_0018-7.jpg
    PIC_0017-6.jpg
    PIC_0033.jpg
    PIC_0002-8.jpg
    PIC_0006-4.jpg

Mallards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Taught this buck was different so i had him done he;s well matched in the palms but its the black that i loved when i seen him first

PIC_0001-18.jpg

Snipe0086.jpg

Snipe0085.jpg

Snipe0084.jpg

Mallards

Nice photos mallards, good looking bird. Are you seeing many woodcock up your way?

Shep likes to trail along when I go shooting, he does not point or retrieve but he enjoys the hunt and has being known to catch the odd pheasant. Did not get this one though.

2109021359_93d5c2c908.jpg

My sisters Lab thinks he's a duck dog! :D

2110558769_16b43b8c76.jpg

I thought id add a pic of a fox that i got last week he had just killed the lapwing in its mouth my .223 and 45gr hp dropped him at 170yrds
    dogfoxandlapwing.jpg
    Heres some foxes i got one fairly productive night and the grey crows and magpies were shot as they came to roost before we went lamping,anyone know did john gormley find his pen yet?:rolleyes:
    SL270244.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Sweet, nice brace of fox.
    Just out of intrest, what mod is that and how much are they(fitted)
    Have the same rifle in the lite model.
    PS: any chance of a night out foxin with ye???

Advertisement