Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mixerbarcoe

went out for a walk this evening with the .22 and got this vixen...head shot at 10 yards...my first fox with the .22

c23997db.jpg

out again this evening with the .22 and got another vixen 55yrd head shot..one of this years cubs

dfa26d47.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Full Bore

First mink caught on my home made raft with a fenn mk6 in the tunnel
    067c7e9e.jpg
    fe4b60d3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Got this stag yesterday evening just before 9 o'clock. 240 yard neck shot with 243 Hornady 95 SST Supf. My first season and first buck. Delighted

50180889.jpg

another fox with the .22 called this lad in from 250yrd with a homemade tenterfield.. fox wasnt stopping for nothing shot at a point blank range of 3 feet

223febbe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I was up the walls all week last week including the weekend so didn't get a chance to go out the 1st or 2nd, so Monday evening I left work at 5 o clock, got ready for stalking and off I went up to my permissions. Spent the evening walking ground but the only deer I seen was a doe running across a forestry road that I was driving up. I didn't mind that I seen no deer,the walk done me good as my brain was fried from the week I had! But slightly worried about the absence of tracks from a place that was always covered in fresh tracks.

Tuesday morning I headed out in search of a red but again the morning produced no deer. I didn't stay out too long on Tuesday tho so maybe more effort could have found me a deer!

Then this morning out again at 1st light and at 7 am spotted a herd off in the distance, one was identified as a buck so 2 of us headed off in their direction. 45 minutes later we were within 200 yards of where we seen the herd but could not see them as heather and firs separated us. We were then stopped in our tracks by 2 does and 2 calves only 15-20 yards infront of us!

We waited for 15 minutes as they were slowly making their way across us so we could continue our stalk of the buck. It was cool being that close to them without them knowing any better apart but this was ruined by the sound of my 8am alarm for work that I forgot to turn off!

The deer ran off but we continued on hopeful of finding the herd with the buck in it. We spread out we me 60 yards higher on the hill walking across the hill together and another doe and calf ran up the hill infront of us.Then I seen our buck standing in the heather looking at me, but out of sight of my friend. BANG, the buck goes down, BANG, the second buck goes down! Had a 3rd buck and a pricket in my crosshairs but left them off!

My friend starts ****ing and blinding me as he did not see the bucks so thought I was after shooting the doe and calf! He would not believe me until we walked up the 2 bucks and he seen them on the ground!

Then came the hard bit....nearly a mile of a drag! Gonna have to revisit this place and use gps to find out how long the drag was but it was ridiculous! Left the jeep at 7am and returned with 2 bucks at 11.15! Great start to the season for me and the 25-06!

img15571.jpg

The gun was unloaded just didn't open the bolt for the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

went out with a lad off this one night and got this lad at bout 80 yards before he came along we were callin in his bigger brother and he decided to take another route towards us but unfortunately the route he took had a house behind it then i looked up the field and seen this lad charging towards us so i took him just as he was bout to make a jump into cover
    1EE9B4E1.jpg

took another lad ( noel bailey) onto my permission for some rabbit and i took a shot with his cz .22 at these two freehand
    the first one was about 50 yards
    7CF04C15.jpg
    this one was about 70 yards
    D1BE192B.jpg
    got another one later with the lamp free handed again but didnt take a pic it wasnt a clean shot but he was dead anyway chest shot
    startin to think im better shooting freehand than resting it on anything probably from shooting with shotgun since i was a kid
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

First deer of the year for the brother. 80 yards off these home made sticks

pricket.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Went out to a local pond last night for the evening flight. The pond was still a bit dry and will fill up later in the winter but there were still steady numbers of teal and mallard coming in off the Shannon to the back of the pond. I had a number of shots through the evening but I was probably in the wrong spot. Anyway a 3 mallard came low along the shore just as I was getting ready to leave. I aimed for the first one and he dropped, along with the second one. I couldn't believe it, 2 mallard with the one shot. Anyway I gave one to my nan and kept this one for myself.
    2012-09-06115000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Got this young buck yesterday evening. Roughly 150 yards away. Was getting really dark and hard to see at that stage (around 8.30), so just to make sure went for a chest shot rather than neck. Tikka T3 Lite 243&Hornady 95gr SST Superformance.
    78152562.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

some people go foreign to the sun on holidays,this is what we do

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

got this lad two year ago

IMAG0167.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Out stalking this morning and returning to the van this vixen came thru the hedge about 100y in front of me. It turned to look at me when it heard the noise of a .308 155gr Hornady BT getting chambered.

It ran off but stopped to a squeak. My best standing free hand shot ever @137y. Took her in the left shoulder and exited out the right rear of the stomach.

221215.jpg

221216.jpg

221217.jpg

221218.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As part of a deer permission a landowner asked that we thin out some feral goats eating his pasture. So headed out Saturday morning with one of my shooting buddies to try and get one each.

Weather was touch and go but we were up so decided to go for a look anyway. It's hilly ground and mist/fog has often ruined a good hunt. When we were approaching the permission the mist blew off for about 2 hours giving us enough visibility to spot the goats and get close enough for a shot.

Took us about an hour to get into position for the shot but in that time we could observe them and saw no kids or dependents among them. I won the toss so was shooting first. I picked the goat closest to me and took a young nanny. The goats ran off and stopped 70 yards further for a look back and my friend dropped another nanny with a great shot from his .243

I forgot to take a photo of the goat I shot but here is the one my friend shot.

goatvb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We got this lad at quarter past 7 this morning after been out every weekend morning and evening without spotting anything yet this year.
    40-50 yard neck shot with a .243 100gr

2012-09-22070501_zpse0ef58a4.jpg

2012-09-22073847_zpscd7fed38.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

My 5 month old Lab pup "jimbo"'s first ever retrieve today. decided to bring him for a trainin session down along a drain i never had him before.. then decided to bring the gun... he was workin lovely never goin on ahead more than ten yards unless i sent him further, then as we approached the drain a big green headed drake got up.. bang stone dead.. jimbo jumped in (first time ive seen him jump in!!), straight to the mallard, swam back holding it perfectly and propped it at my feet!! him and i walked back across the bog about 6 inches taller... he's now panned out in front of the range!
    jimboduck_zps1ac841bf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

dogs11_zps1328b8f7.jpg

took the pup out last sunday to see if i could get her a retrieve went down to a flooded field where i knew there was some teal feeding a few got up but only got one she went straight out and picked it happy out. took her out today and she put up a hen pheasent so hopefully come november she will be flying. she is the one on the left the other one just decided she wanted to get her photo taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

pic of two drakes on green bonnet were shot by me and brazzil on first day and the rest are mine!!!giving them a break now and dog too.brazzil has a couple more we shot and might post them shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

here is the pics of the rifle in the for sale section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Brazzill

Another smashing morning sunday, as me a charlie 10 took and gamble and left the dogs at home, walked a local river then onto a few ponds, a lot birds moving as the weather getting that bit colder, in a few hours we met a Cock Pheasant, 4 mallard (1 shot available, one taken), 2 Kormoran, 4 Snipe (1 shot) and a Crane.......and a mixi rabbit that we had to dispatch of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 greengrasscork

Unlucky deer caught in fence found him yesterday up a mountain near a wood

Tangled deer.jpg

Tangled deer2.jpg

A good few hours shooting last night. Charlie 10 is some man to call in a fox even after a wisdom tooth removal the day before. The crack was mighty, heres some pictures.

And more......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

was out this morning in dublin mountains on good heap of land that has rabbits
    so i took kratos out and put on her jesses and bell and casted her in a big oak and walked on and straight away no more than 30 yards in front a rabbit walks out but he was riddled with mixxy blind as a bat the poor bas*ard
    so before i could call her from the tree she was already on the way and gave the rabbit a good hard thump and talons around the head and that was the end of him i snapped his neck and let her have a feed and headed home as the weather was startin to turn
    33FCCCB6.jpg
    33E19A91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

image0215.jpg

got this lad this evening ,only the 1 anthler do .2 spikes on the other side

ian..........

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nico13

Nothing like a good hollyday back home!!! thought i share some sweet souvenir with u all.
    Best Regards
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

image0217l.jpg

unusual head ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

a few pics from the last coupe of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio