Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

[IMG2012-12-09130636.jpg]http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/tomcoffey74/2012-12-09130636.jpg[/IMG]

got this lad today rua;s biggest bird so far pictures dont do him justice lot of weight on him,excellent retrieve from heavy coverdroped about 40 yards away and dog picked him no bother
    sotg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

headed out today with a friend and had a great day, started off with the lads germanwire haired pointer shot 3 snipe over him but only picked two,headed on from there and he started hunting hard and plenty of tail action then all of a sudden pheasant breaks and one shot later he is down and retrieved to hand.went to a hot spot for duck and shot 2 teal and one wigeon. finally retired the german and gave the cocker an hour ,we werent in the field two mins when i see him taking a line for the ditch ,went to real heavy and then the mother and father of all cocks broke i was never so sure in my life of a shot .one shot and he was down i was ecstatic i could of nearly kissed the cocker when i see him coming back with him in the mouth. he is heading to bemounted tommorow he looks like a michegan blueback to me. heading up to kilkenny to snipe 02 in two weeks time the game better be on their GAME!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

phone call today deer back in plantation could i sort it out 35 mins later i was glassing the area 2 hinds ranged them 143 yards clean kills on both of them

336E9C5F-7AAD-4533-B875-63A3D8FE3D2E-10893-000010EB59BBF69E.jpg

just home from my days shooting when phone rang "fancy a lamp" answer was an easy one "yes!" headed off with nothing only a pair of wellies and a lamp left the shooting up to the mate for a change .first farm we called and called while over looking a big open field probably 50 acres and nothing so just heading off gave one lamp at the field at the back of us(about 3 acres )and there was a vixen sitting sweet not 30 yards away .thump!down she went. headed off down a big long passage about 5 miles from the first one and again called and out pops mr fox looking pretty about 50 yards and again the package was sent and recieved second one down a dog .happy days home time and nearly bed time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Brazzill

Went out for an hour there on Monday with my 2 springers, first field and Odie turned all of a shot back towards a big tree, low and behold 2 cocks out the other side of the ditch, sickened i was on my own. anyway walked on a few fields meeting Mr. fox at one end of the field and he staring at me. i wished i had my .223. next field 2 springers busting cover so i knew something was gona break.....then out flew bird number 4 for me and down he came with the 2nd shot, bundled to the ground and ran......but odie hot on his heels caught him then as she brought him back alive my younger pup abbey took the bird and brought him back and dropped him at my feet. 5months old now since the 7th and going well. Other pic is of my Ruger .223 m77 mark II, T8 Husher and Bushnell Banner scope. 26 fox in 4 night shooting so far. Crazy hours i must say but well worth it (out till 6am Saturday night). Missed a few the 1st night, but after that i cleaning up. Very accurate gun flat at 200yards(well it zero'd to that). any1 in the limerick area want tails let me know. gave 19 away with only a box of cheap bullets(american eagles) in return so will give them else where. My club dont bother with tails either. Anyway here are some pics

BC4ABF5E-E68E-4E09-8BD3-E08BCE6B35BF-5085-0000030B73A9344E.jpg

C71AB641-3F73-4AC0-A119-A220AF141166-5085-0000030B6BC5175C-1.jpg

FA7A64D4-4796-4701-81C4-B19B37DC8B20-5085-0000030B8292FA47.jpg

Head shot :-)
    74D3AD12-F689-4024-8757-3F0EC014CBB5-694-000000469EA1EA36.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 conor223fox

shot with 223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Bohemian Pheasant my uncle shot about 17 years back, great trophy 3 of the local clubs were after him ,when he shot him he gave him to me as a present to get stuffed.One of the best presents i ever got.IMAG0441.jpg

When women get their hands on your dogs, pure spoilt !IMG-20121129-WA0000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

After shooting 100s of foxes with the Howa and years of abuse it was time for something new so decided to get myself a Tikka Varmint. Between waiting on the gun to come in and the substitution I've been without the .243 for two months so couldn't wait to get out with it. Tonight was my first opportunity and after about an hour I came across this lad. There was a stong enough breeze and my scent would have been blowing directly at him but he just sat there 140 yards away. He stood up after a moment and the Tikka was broke in:D:D:D
    Ive a long way to go till it catches up with the trusty Howa but Looking forward to it.

so headed off this morning for a shot with the hang over from hell! and boy did i suffer .so cocker hunting mad and out breaks a cock and couldnt get a shot so on we went and a woodcock breaks and again no shot presented so decided to head to a shop for coffee and a sandwich and a bottle of cop on! so grabbed the spud masher and off again.went to a pond and sat tight then from behind, a flock of wigeon came on and a 32g 6 and down one came! shorlty after i see a pair of what i thought were wigeon,so lead them about 2 gun lenghts .and down one came .when the dog was coming back i knew something didnt look right and to my amazement it was a shovelor drake. on way out of pond i see another flock coming way over my head and dropped anothe duck which looks like a scaup. it has been a season of firsts for me with the cracking michegan blue back and now a shovelor and scaup. heading back down to taxi derrmist tommorow with the shovelor and driving a couple of nails as we speak.also shot a double snipe just to prove to myself it wasnt a fluke all this time!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

20121216153842.jpg

Nice little mixed bag from the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nowwerehurlin

Got out today for an hour and a half with a young dog i have. Hunting an ould plantation for woodcock. all my gear cartridges coats and bags etc were in the fathers van at work so i was left with the fathers oversized coat his 686 and a massive pair of boots!! After about one field i was presented with a beutiful high shot on a pigeon . As if he was driven! Bowled him out into the middle of a rushy the field and after a little hunt a grand retrieve and loads of praise on we went again. Flushed four woodcock in the next few fields but no shot presented. little dog was hunting well enough so i was anxious to put something across his jaw for his efforts! after a a nice bit of hunting of and down the ditch and in and out of the plantation he flushed a woodcock.. if i had the same shot 20 times i dont think id hit him but on this occassion i clung him at 40 yards with the first barrel and landed him in a heap of knocked sallys that were blocking a gap. out comes the kiddie straight to the fall area and climbs up onto the fallen trees and picks the bird straight back to hand! as happy now as i would be if i shot 40 birds! the unplanned days always seem to give the best enjoyment!

Went out Monday morning first thing to my home town, 9.30am and brought just the older pup Odie. 1st pheasant I met made some fool outta me. 1 full and a half hour chasing and back tracking him, he had me in full sprint 3/4 times trying to keep up with him(if anyone saw me), kept busting out the other side of the ditch, only half chances but in the end I nailed him, great find and great retrieve. So off back to the van and picked up a mate who wanted to come along but wouldn't get up early, went for some grub then hit a new place was like mount everast, just over the gate and saw 3/4 cocks gliding along the side of the mountain landing 3 fields down. My friend nearly caved over the hill went on anyway and met two more cocks over the rest of the day Odie was on her A game. 3 in the bag 7 in total over Odie this season. best day so far.

image007_zps951a3866.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Another one bites the dust!!

mink55592_zps214b2097.jpg

mink55594_zpsc54d7f45.jpg

Was lucky i didn't get a doing with this lad! checking the cages yesterday morning, saw i had a lad in the fen mk6, put my hand into the tunnel, grabbed the end of the trap, and this lad latched onto the cuff of my coat!:eek:

alive010_zps396f7530.jpg

Only a medium sized bitch mink, but def didn't want to feel the sharpness of her teeth!!
    Very seldom i get one alive in a trap, but lesson learned, won't be so lucky next time!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

2012-12-22152940.jpg

First blood with my 30-30 and it was my first Kerry fallow

I was out with Paul and Dathi55 on some new permissions that Paul had got recently, We saw three animals and I managed to hit this one,I just started to run as I fired so I hit it in the back leg, It didn't or couldnt run very far so Dathi finished it off with a chest shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

P1010109_zps34eca279.jpg

a nice morning stalk
    walked in on 2 young fawns in the forest had only noticed this one
    so crouched to ground dropped the sticks and free handed him at about 20 metres
    then noticed the other fawn run after i fired
    it stopped about 40 meters i stood up and got on the sticks fast
    couldnt get a clean shot so i let it off
    have this one chilling in the fridge now

well lads having met snipe 02 on two occasions briefly ,we bought decided to do a swap/meet up.so headed off to kilkenny saturday morning and landed about twelve and headed to the local gun shop .on the way we were stuck in traffic and snipe was in front of us in his car and he decided to jump out and run back to us for a second and forgot to pull the handbrake his car took off into the one in front COMICAL! (sorry lad)that evening headed for pints and thought i would never rise this morning but it would take a lot to stop me.met up with the lad at eight and headed off .ran my cocker with his bitch for first half and retired him then . snipe02 has without doubt the finest hunting springer i have seen to date .she was in ribbons after the day .i have my name down for a pup and cant wait. we hunted some beautiful kilkenny countryside and met about ten birds ,some were hens and others were unshootable.met one woodcock which was speedily shot by his friend dan who was like a tour guide he new every ditch and gap in the place.just want to say thanks to snipe and dan for everything really sound blokes and a good man for the banter! also the man in the b&b who put the dogs in his shed and gave us free reign of the back garden for the dogs to ****e! looking forward to getting u down to cork. at home now and i am jaded and hung over but delighted anyone thinking of doing a swap/meet up go for it lads u will meet top blokes who know what they are talking about

these are 4 woodcock i shot with a friend of mine last friday we shot them in a block of sallys that i had hunted earlier in the season but to no avail .saw the tail end of a sika deer too but couldnt get a pic,

well lads headed out to good woodcock country today and hunted the friends springer and my cocker.(springer is bridevalley and sprucehill and is a fine lump of a dog and fearless)both were hunting cover well cocker was in and out and springer bull dozing!.first bird to break was a woodcock which was dispatched and landed into serious cover and was retrieved.shortly after while we were both chatting another broke and same story down she went. went to a block of evergreens then and heard ther springer getting excited with that up a cock broke out the top roaring and flew along the tree line hammering it,threw up the bernadelli and pulled through him and thump he was dead in the air.shot a few snipe too on way back to car and the final woodcock too out of sallys. goods days shooting with good company and good result! said id leave a few woodcock there for snipe02 when he comes down ! threw in a pic of my pup too after coming home yesterday from a gallop. he is out of the springer in the other pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

Thought i'd take one of my new stinkers Munch out for a lttle mooch and see how he gets on. First outing for him so was hoping he'd be a good worker. Only went out to get some fresh rabbit for the stinkers so took about 15 nets and done a couple of small warrens. First one netted up....3 nets....BANG one for the pot. Went to another small warren heavy in bushes and brambles, set about 8 nets ....Bang .....another for the pot. Looks like the stinkers gonna be a grand replacement for my old boy that died couple of weeks ago.

Happy man. :D:D:D

Good day on the trap line yesterday!

3mink029_zps77064b03-1_zps4cecdea8-1_zps2d8d5dfd.jpg

and another lad today!

3mink031_zps0b08e2e8.jpg

3mink035_zps33444a55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

20121230-112321_zpsf807858d.jpg

good day today shot two cocks one brilliant bird and one average missed another one and two others broke out the other side happy days

Had a good old day today after had a nightmare of a day on Sunday had a shin dig at the gaff sat night and boy did i suffer Sunday morning in the rain and missed a sitter RABBIT AND PHEASANT. Anyway headed off this morning FRESH and dispatched 3 mixi rabbits all morning while meeting 2 hares also, no cock. Came home for a bite and headed off again was out and hour when i met bird number 8 for me and the ODEMYSTER. Good race between Odie and cock bout 5 mins i only winged bird with a 7 as it broke other side of ditch(hunting alone) was in full sprint for 2 fields behind them. Retrieve of the season. Cock as u can see was missing the tail when she finally caught him. Here are the pics

57E82FEA-4AE9-42EB-8B31-CE5A2A4D45B2-3997-00000338BF13993C-1_zps5b88a77e.jpg

FFF99AEF-3BC2-4692-82F6-453C1C976465-3997-000003362BC2685E.jpg

8D8C2EF8-CD0E-4E97-A919-71CEE51AEC0A-3997-000003360C944658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Ah yes .... A freshly minted wildfowler. :D .... Neighbours pride and joy.

smilesd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

antlers ive found this year

P10101092_zps9915a3e5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Some foxes that I shot or contributed to shooting in 2012.

Foxing2012_zps6c413e73.jpg

Out today for a few hours and met 3 hens plus this lil beauty
    29544F2E-69E3-45EC-A4AE-CBBB75C8A215-367-0000002C2C333ABE.jpg

• Advertisement

Finished work at 5 this morning so went home for a bit of sleep.Headed out about 1 and got these pair of roosters ,was really impressed with Oscar today, he busted through some heavy cover to flush the 2 of them while Molly tried to be cleaver and went around to come in from the back of the cover.He got a nice retrieve on one as well.Put up a rake of hens and a couple of cocks i couldn't get a shot at.Not a bad afternoon.IMG-20130105-WA0001.jpgIMAG0475.jpg

Advertisement