Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Like a pin cushion sore today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Couple of pictures of my Springer with a couple of Duck(not shot by me), she is doing very well but her handler is having a disaster. Missed a handy one last week, another the gun was empty and a couple of flocks of 5s and 6s together i had no shot for safety reasons. Hopefully weather will turn around and the ponds fill up. But look Springer getting nice a fit for the main event.

received_m_mid_1410099637868_be1fdd5e8832b9a939_0_zps1mxpthdq.jpeg

IMAG0347_zps1tzlq5cn.jpg

Flighting a pond

IMAG0372_zpsyp2bahb2.jpg

Well lads, finally got off the mark this morning. Got my first double mallard of the season on the river. Met a double mallard when I was just out of the car and they were just that bit too far so did not fire. Then I came to a series of S bends on the river where there is always a few duck feeding I sent the springer in at the first set of bends and there was nothing, so recalled Oddie back out and to my disgust about 11 mallard broke the last bend and was about 200 yards away....... Was it another unlucky day for me?????? Well I said to myself "just give a walk down you would never know there might be one or two that didn't get up". So as I approached where they had vacated up got 2 mallard to my right..... I nearly tripped over with excitement, hit the first one with 1st shot and then clipped second one with 2nd shot and I thought I hit him again with the 3rd, retrieved the 1st one and had a 5 minute walk before Oddie found the 2nd. Have video of the retrieves and shots that I will upload later and post in video thread. Here are the pictures.

IMAG0393_zpslklcv8zz.jpg

IMAG0394_zps4wjuncsh.jpg

Waiting for dusk,no luck though.

20140920_182453_zpsff49b67e.jpg

20140920_182356_zps7dd67c20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Got off the mark with this one last week just getting the chance to put it up now 150 yards

• Advertisement

Got on the river early this morning with Oddie and bagged a young mallard, had a chance at another 5 but gun was unloaded....what a sickner, will upload video later. Lovely fresh morning met a couple of young hens also one fully white and the other normal colours, no more then 10 weeks old i'd say. Now its time for some grub and Super Sunday, good weekend for me this one round.

IMAG0396_zpst45fvhkx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

.The previous weeks stalks only frustrated me with the amount of hinds and calves I came across with the odd stag bumped in thick undergrowth and no shot. I did manage to take a very small spiker to open the season.
    Just at first light I glassed a small calf grazzing at the edge of a ride. I set up the sticks and waited, sure enough the arse of a hind came into few, so where's the spiker I mused....suddenly between me and the calf three more animals appeared, the spiker paused long enough for the shot.
    IMAG0068-1_zps9f21a36e.jpg
    By 9.30 I was stalking the edge of some open timber and came across this 8 pointer, who obliged me with a front on shot to the neck.

IMAG1165_zps5e99d19b.jpg
    IMAG0070-1_zps65f258ce.jpg

Happy days, will have to make room in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Decided to hit an area that I've been trying to clear a few foxes out of and this nice dog fox made it 4 so far and also saw another but it darted into a ditch before I got the rifle off my shoulder. Nice handy prone shot at ~120 yards through the chest.

image_zps687da240.jpg

Well lads, got out yesterday and met these 2 in the very same place I shot the single last Sunday. Video to be uploaded later.

IMAG0413_zpstgkrivgl.jpg

Got this one this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's a fine animal. What was the stalk like? What's the rifle set up? Looks good and light.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    That's a fine animal. What was the stalk like? What's the rifle set up? Looks good and light.

Thanks. Not really a place to stalk more shooting than stalking on this perission. Its just the lie of the land and access to it. I shot a red spiker here last year at 453 yards and this one today was an exact replica of the shot at 460 yards.

We were watching a spiker this orning with a few does in a wooded area of about 3 or 4 acres for an hour or so and he was going in and out if cover but never gave us the chance of a shot. Then out of nowhere this fella appears and is circling the wood nose high in the air. He knows the others are around but hasn't seen them yet. Then he presents broadside to me. Meanwhile I'd say the spiker is in the wood ****ting himself..

The set up is a Remmy 700 .270 With Boyds thumbhole stock bedded, Rifel Basix trigger set very low, Harris Swivel 9-13, and a Steiner 3-12X56 Tatical Milarty FFP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

IMAG1173_zpsf792f52c.jpg

Just took theses out of the dishwasher, would've tried the washing machine but they wouldn't fit:D:D:D:D.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice but what kind of shine did the dishes get?

Got out this morning for awhile and got these 2 beauties over my English setter Bailey.

IMAG0429_zps3f78b585.jpg

IMAG0431_zps67bdee5c.jpg

Baileyonpoint_zps484fd026.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭tonytoc11

A nice 2 mornings flighting duck.

20141012_102644_zpslgbufzp1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Shot this buck last saturday, 230 yard head shot. He was in super condition.

pricket8-10-14_zpse3628a70.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

325314.jpgfirst deer
    325315.jpg

Nice size on him. That a red?

that is a red alright.he was a big boy for a pricket.he was for the freezer now just to get his daddy for the wall ha ha.he should have the done the business with the females now.that will be it then until the meat runs out.il try for an a doe in feb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

allan450 wrote: »
    he was a big boy for a pricket.

You can say that again. To think is he about the size, if not bigger, than a Fallow Buck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

allan450 wrote: »
    that is a red alright.he was a big boy for a pricket.he was for the freezer now just to get his daddy for the wall ha ha.he should have the done the business with the females now.that will be it then until the meat runs out.il try for an a doe in feb

Lovely aminal Leave him hang as long as you can.

He's a big boy alright I got his brother last year and he was bigger that any full grown fallow stag I got. I let him hang for 22 days (not a misprint) in the fridge and it was the nicest bit of meat I ever had. So tender and juciey the meat fell off the bone

Got out yesterday with my shooting partner and my Springer Oddie. Had a good days hunting with a nice mix bag. Some nice retrieves and good shooting.

received_531996143602905.jpeg_zpsxrqklokd.jpg

^^^ not jealous. Nope not one bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Remember me?

^^^ not jealous. Nope not one bit. :)

Me neither great mixed bag good shooting !

]5 hours and the snipe and 2 duck by chance on the way out.

an other good day rough shooting.could have shot a few more but ran out of shells.dogs going well also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

Training on snipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

20141026_124129_zpskp8xrjgv.jpg

Shot between myself and my cousin, cock bird each and I nabbed a fast Woodie that was horsing it in the gusty wind. Met a great load of birds but it was the start of our season up here in Tyrone so no one wants to be greedy. I'll swear I seen a woodcock also today but it could have been one of my resident ones?

• Advertisement

Hit the ground this morning very optimistic ,glassing surrounding ditches fields spotted these two lads catching some morning sun.Shot the first lad in the neck round passed through & demolished the other lad behind him. Hornandy 168 grain TAP

20141101_072047_zpsf00e141c.jpg

Cleared the two foxes into a ditch & started walking heard a couple of shots in the neighbouring ground & thought with the ruckus nothing would show.Slung the rifle lit a fag & started to head towards the car.Turned the corner by the deer fence & saw this lad.Dropped him off the shoulder 104 yards shooting down hill.All in all a great morning out.

20141101_081337_zps9cef1e04.jpg

the rope on his antlers must have been driving him mad it was wrapped very tight not great camo to be fair.

Advertisement