Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sitting at home last night when my Father comes into me. He says he is heading out as himself and my other mate got a call from a land owner to say he is seeing "eyes" at the end of a couple of fields. With lambing season, and most of the land owners i know being sheep farmers we grabbed the hmr, .308 and headed out.

I went with the .308 (for those awkward shots) and the Father with the hmr. He hasn't used it much but has gotten too used to the .308 and needs to work on his shot placement over the raw energy of the .308.

We hit the first field and with my mate using the Lightforce we start scanning the field. In the distance we see eyes. Lamp goes off and we move closer. Lamp back on and a few calls. The eyes pop up and it's Charlie. He is curious, but cautious. We work the lamp and calling and he slowly makes his way up. He is at 203 yards at this point and i say to the Father to take the shot (with the hmr). He thinks it's too far, but the grass is not too long so you can still see the heart/lung and head. I told him to aim 4 inches above the heart lung. The weather is calm, and cool. Perfect for the hummer. He drops out the Primos sticks, steadies himself, and "pop". Fox lets out a squeal, goes to run then drops about 20 feet from where he was sitting. We make out way up and there he is where he fell. Tiny entrance hole and no exit.

One down.

We continue on through the fields and over the course of the next couple of hours manage to bag three more. The longest was 203 yards and the shortest was 91 yards. The third one (91 yard shot) was fairly mangey. Good thing i carry rubber gloves. He was eaten with it, and seemed mad with it and he came running at us with the first call. Had to give a bark to stop him to take the shot.

All in all a good night. Frost was setting in so after a half an hour of nothing, we called it a night. Got pictures of all four, but two were blurry as sin.

The HMR done it's job perfectly with the second and last fox being head shots that fell on the spot. With the T4 AR mod the report from the HMR is greatly reduced. Had we used the .308 which is quiet enough with the T8 on her, i don't think we would have gotten the four we did.

It was a late start (only got to the grounds at 23:40, and got home at 2 am. Still a good night and might try hit it again tonight.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fallowhunter

That is a good night out cass and by god that was some shot on the first fox 203 yds with the hmr

I'll be honest. I thought it might be out of range in terms of the ability of the hmr to cleanly kill the fox. And when i heard the shot and seen the fox moving i thought it was. But then he dropped. So while it done the job it was on the very edge of what i'd call suitable distance for killing.

Hence the reason all the other shots were 120 yards or less. Plus i was 20 feet to the side of the Father and was following the fox with the .308 on sticks. He wasn't going to go too far if the hmr failed to do the job.

Enjoyed the night and it's the first real outing i've had for a while. Kinda of reignites the interest in going out. When you spend too much time in or around the house you get into a rut.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I thoughts my self it was a bit far but non the less the 17 hmr done the job it a great round for rabbits and foxes havent shot many foxes with my own but hoping to get out now and see how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

2CB3E6AF-E61E-404D-BCC3-7FE7979CE121_zpsfizla8a9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

What are they EP? Three Pheasants or three UFOs?

mallards wrote: »
    What are they EP? Three Pheasants or three UFOs?

😄

3 big buzzards gliding on warm spring thermals.
    Wouldn't trust the fckrs with the pups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Haha hard to see on the phone! Yeah you wouldn't know with a small pup and if mum wasnt watching. Have up to six on my ground just after the breeding season. Don't do much damage though with the system I have for releasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

��

I wouldn't be too worried. They can only pick up/carry a third of their own weight. So unless those pups weigh less than a pound bag of sugar they should be fine. I'd say mummy would kick Mr B's ass if he came in for a closer look anyways;) At this time of year their more interested in displaying/courting than anything else, hence the hours spent riding on thermals.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried. They can only pick up/carry a third of their own weight. So unless those pups weigh less than a pound bag of sugar they should be fine. I'd say mummy would kick Mr B's ass if he came in for a closer look anyways;) At this time of year their more interested in displaying/courting than anything else, hence the hours spent riding on thermals.

Tongue in cheek.
    Pups weigh more like a bag of cement than sugar so no fear ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Lovely pups they are too this is one of them I picked up yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

😄

Lovely birds. I've 3 on one permission and 5 on the other and with mixxy about they'll be well fed for a while.

Lads getting some field experience

376D35A4-3A3D-401D-9842-1A5ED3B00337_zpsiayb4mza.jpg

225C9CB1-2C12-4A60-804B-538448563BF5_zpsetrmthwt.jpg

Thought I lost the pups earlier! Turns out they were in the ditch exploring!

83CE6307-4991-4E7A-9513-78D0F936DF59_zpsxxd23num.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Went up to a permission of mine to have scout around and move a few pigeons and crows. The final tally for the pot was very small but rewarding.
    Firstly on my wanders a very brazen Pine Martin strolled right out in frount of me after working his way across a deep ditch.
    Latter after spotting an extensive track of red deer slots I came across this young lady, she was very calm considering I had just shot a pigeon minutes before.
    VIDEO0001_01_0000028166.jpg

When I retrived the pigeon and had stuffed it into my pocket I looked up to see a young Fox peering through the trees at me, it bolted before I had a beed on it. I crept up the low hill to see if it had stoped and after a quick scan spotted herself. Will try to upload the video I took.

After another while on the crows I started back to the car, then low and behold what do I spotted but only a pair of grazers hopping around the edge of a sand pit. Season just gone we taught we saw the tail end of a bunny diving for cover but that was a once off in two years shooting until today. Moving on to let em grow up I came across thier older buddy and decided to bring him home and introduce him to the concept of KFC.
    IMAG1306.jpg
    Now all in all I spotted 4 cock and 2 hen pheasants, 1 one red hind, but of all the quarry seen today I am most pleased about the rabbits. I have deer, birds etc to shoot but this is the first time in a long time I have a permission with rabbits and I do like to hunt them. These lot will be nurtured like tasty children to ensure good numbers.

Nice read That sounds like a good day out and about cookey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Got out yesterday for a shot with Oddie and bagged these 2. Will post video later when I edit it

11129831_842529515784128_128438894830150432_n_zpsxyc41flk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Nice condition on her considering the pups she just had.

allan450 wrote: »
    Nice condition on her considering the pups she just had.

Cheers Alan. She flying again.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice shot by myself of 176 resting on barb wire.
    Closer inspection showed it in early stages of mixxy
    image_zps29x7r8nq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Few bunnies!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Nice shooting did it take you long

No there's plenty of them where I was that day, that took no more than an hour. I'm fortunate enough to be in the line of work that gives me plenty of places to shoot and a good few farmers get me on if the rabbit population gets out of control.

I took this pic last summer, it was 11.30pm on a Saturday night. I spotted him coming down into the flower bed in the middle of the square in town. Didn't take him long to wind the scraps from someone's badly discarded dinner.

fox.JPG

Got out yesterday evening to do a bit of pre season conditioning with Oddie as been giving all my time to pups over the summer. Lucky to get these 2 standing still missed two runners so you could say its pre season conditioning for myself haha(I blame my new gun) but I got a Grey crow as well so all wasn't bad. ;)

First kill with New Gun
    OddieSilmaRabbit_zps51p0ao9h.png
    IMAG1193_zpslv1bwgxv.jpg
    IMAG1192_zpsohvgxutj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Decided to head out for a shot this evening to a spot that always holds a few foxes. I got set up on a stack of bales that gave me a good view all around. I had grass fields to my right and back, barley to my left and a field that was mowed during the week in front.

I started calling using the bestfoxcall and after 5-10 mins of calling a fox appeared behind me to the right. Managed to get turned without the fox noticing me and sent a 75gr TAP his way. Chest shot at ~110 yards resulted in a young dog fox.

Nothing like heading out with the rifle on a lovely sunny evening.

IMG_0642_zpsiveranli.jpg

Still say 45s would be better. :D:p

Nice shooting, but not even a challenge for that rig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

IMAG1392_1.jpg
    A photo from earlier on in the week : 93 birds

There was another 76 taken in the secound hide two fields over.
    Birds still coming in late into the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

good load of bunnies with the dogs n gun, the dogs were so hyped the wanted more but the owner was very tired and had a sore arm wouldn't stop to say hi.

dbkxl1.jpg

2d2jf44.jpg

• Advertisement

Hunter456 wrote: »
    good load of bunnies with the dogs n gun, the dogs were so hyped the wanted more but the owner was very tired and had a sore arm wouldn't stop to say hi.

dbkxl1.jpg

2d2jf44.jpg

Good shooting there lad well done.

Advertisement