Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Eddie B wrote: »
    Better off that they don't stop! If there's any damage to car, owner of dog may be liable!

driver would be fully responsible for hitting a dog.
    its livestock that the owners are liable for damage caused

thats what i've always thought to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

I thought she was still asleep on the chair. slipped out when wife opened the door

Poor thing,especially when things were looking up for you....sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Poor thing,especially when things were looking up for you....sorry to hear that

That's awful , dirty knacker for not stopin, you don't hit a dog that size and not know it, probably drink driving and didn't want to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

ganmo wrote: »

No it's not true it's the owner that's responsible, whether it's a hit and run or not. The driver is obliged to report the accident to the guards.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

ganmo wrote: »

Incorrect as deeks said its the dog owner who's responsible.

Sorry to hear about the dog German pointer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Lad here hit a German Shepard Killed it dead roaming the road took it to the vet scanned it for a chip and went after the owner for damage to the car caused by the dog caused to his car won his case As dog wasn't under proper control. Sorry to hear about you loosing your dog an awful shame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Unfortunately my pointer Sally was killed in a hit and run today

Feel for you GP. Like loosing a best friend :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Unfortunately my pointer Sally was killed in a hit and run today

Sorry to hear about lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

IMAG1428_BURSTSHOT002_1_1.jpg

Finally after a very slow start to the season I managed to bag an animal.....

IMAG1427.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭lefthooker

A bit of fun

A2FB6638-D9C6-4D9A-822A-CC030C7767F3_zpstxhxy2wo.jpg

With the beautiful weather I went out to zero the HMR @ 100yds this afternoon. After satisfying myself that I was hitting where I was aiming, a fly landed on the page. It was begging to be shot.
    .17 is probably overkill for fly and I was honestly trying for a head shot:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Pup off the mark. 10 months & flying.
    Can't ask for more. Also have the new gun broken in so for a year hindered by work commits I am a happy man.

0830F995-0D18-46F2-9967-5549962AB670_zpsrzcaajkd.png

Has had a good teacher I suppose having dad around the place !
    8A539200-CA6C-4C80-83BA-61797D66558D_zps9b0x8trp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Battled through the weather to bag this old boy today

20151115_161718_zpsc4gzjmfg.jpg
    20151115_161538_zpsxq7bkntr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Nice looking dog box, did you make it your self or did you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

ronn wrote: »
    Nice looking dog box, did you make it your self or did you buy it.

My uncle made it. It's a grand size for 2 springers.

2011-12-09224246_zpsqguqv4sf.jpg
    20150124_123919_zpskxhihnln.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Pup off the mark. 10 months & flying.
    Can't ask for more. Also have the new gun broken in so for a year hindered by work commits I am a happy man.

0830F995-0D18-46F2-9967-5549962AB670_zpsrzcaajkd.png

Has had a good teacher I suppose having dad around the place !
    8A539200-CA6C-4C80-83BA-61797D66558D_zps9b0x8trp.jpg

Nice pair of dogs you have, what's the new gun you're shooting, looks like an nice English sxs to me?

Father & son pair of dogs. Nice to see.

Ya it's on old W.R pape Birmingham gun. Turn of the century.
    Not a crazy dear gun. Cheap in fact but I liked its balance. Went to the shoulder really nice & lets me practice with Sxs if I ever decide to upgrade to something fancier. Wanted a change for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Not a crazy dear gun. Cheap in fact but I liked its balance. Went to the shoulder really nice & lets me practice with Sxs if I ever decide to upgrade to something fancier. Wanted a change for awhile

Hate to sound like an old whinge but they don't make them like that anymore(at a reasonable price) as much as I like my o/u, and its a decent one, it doesn't have the balance of those old English guns. Tell me this; can you put 70mm shells through that gun?

Hate to sound like an old whinge but they don't make them like that anymore(at a reasonable price) as much as I like my o/u, and its a decent one, it doesn't have the balance of those old English guns. Tell me this; can you put 70mm shells through that gun?

Not sure to be honest.
    Hasn't refused anything yet. I'll check out when I get a chance.
    I like the history of it so it won't be going anywhere soon even if I end up getting an aya2 or similiar. Could be tempted to go to the UK & buy a real nice old one.
    All in good time.
    Have enough on my hands now with that pup so will worry about that over the next few seasons 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 16 springer12

Where did you buy epointer, if you don't mind me asking?? I'd be interested in buying a similar gun. I'm new on here btw.

Well lads I guess one of us gotta get things started. I got out yesterday for a few hours with my 3 bitches and had a great day, my youngest pup outta Oddie was the unlucky 1 as I ran them all separately and the stretch of 4/5km river I covered with her there wasn't a duck in sight. Anyway I had a great day out and here are some of the pictures. Will post Video in video section as soon as I finish this.

I ran Cassie first in the early morning and met a good few duck, shot 3 and retrieved 3
    20160901_081527_zpsntvwxnec.jpg
    20160901_083335_zpsr7y5mava.jpg
    20160901_083611_zpszo1sdlby.jpg

After lunch I ran Oddie where the ducks sometimes go hiding but I got 2 there, should have got a double but the gun jammed for the second shot.
    20160901_151040_zpswxnvucjl.jpg

This was the finished bag
    20160901_151658_zpsr9gjkmhm.jpg

And dinner this evening :D:D
    20160902_114559_zps4sotc84k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wouldn't be the biggest duck shooter in the country but they look kinda big. They look delicious regardless.

Well done, nice shooting, and a great write up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Dinner tonight was unreal

20160902_204024_zps3uqsr3np.jpg

First ever brace of Red Grouse, first ever any grouse. Put up three and shot two. Well worth the tramp up hill with me little legs.
    IMAG1644_zpsfobzzrfk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

did you meet any other coveys a bad year for grouse around the country id a chance to drop one out of a pair but didn't want to take the chance.

allan450 wrote: »
    did you meet any other coveys a bad year for grouse around the country id a chance to drop one out of a pair but didn't want to take the chance.

The two birds where shot at different times. The first bird got up 5 yards out from me and wheeled to my immediate right and I dropped him about 20 yards out.
    The second bird I took on the way down and was a mirror image of the first. I marked the bird and walked out to pick it up gun ready but I never seen the other bird get up on my up hill side. That bird took off to my right back up hill and then peeled off behind me and over the secound gun of my mate, who unfortunately had no luck.
    I went up the hill expecting nothing, hopeful to at least see one let alone shot one and came down with a brace. Hope to get back out on the hill one more day before the close.

Will be doing a entry in the recipe section latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The two birds where shot at different times. The first bird got up 5 yards out from me and wheeled to my immediate right and I dropped him about 20 yards out.
    The second bird I took on the way down and was a mirror image of the first. I marked the bird and walked out to pick it up gun ready but I never seen the other bird get up on my up hill side. That bird took off to my right back up hill and then peeled off behind me and over the secound gun of my mate, who unfortunately had no luck.
    I went up the hill expecting nothing, hopeful to at least see one let alone shot one and came down with a brace. Hope to get back out on the hill one more day before the close.

Will be doing a entry in the recipe section latter.
    are grouse doing well in that area? Any grouse management being done?

It's a spot known to hold grouse but it's not managed for them but at the same time not heavily shot.
    There where one or two areas of burnt ground but I know it's not management. Over all there was a good variation in the heather as far as my inexperienced eye could make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

It's a spot known to hold grouse but it's not managed for them but at the same time not heavily shot.
    There where one or two areas of burnt ground but I know it's not management. Over all there was a good variation in the heather as far as my inexperienced eye could make out.
    Good that variation in Heather. Would be good if census was done in area for grouse to see whether the birds can sustain shooting. Better still active management done to help the grouse. With only 4,200 birds counted in last National census, not a great idea to be shooting them unless you are actively helping them (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Went out Sunday with a friend and used him as my dog basically. Spotted 3 cocks in the ditch so I went one side and him the other and two flushed his side and one my side so I dropped him. Big breast but feck all tail
    IMG_0555_zpspgmmie1z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Nice old Pape and good looking pup EP.
    My guess it had 63mm chambers, may have being extended to 70mm and reproofed, should say so on the barrel flats.

From my files:
    W.R.Pape
    Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    W.R.Pape owned and operated a small gunsmithing and fishing tackle shop situated in Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, England from approx 1870 to about 1914.

W R Pape was unusual in that there was never a formal company in legal existence. It was just Pape himself making guns or rather Pape had guns made for him by various Gunmakers in Birmingham. Webley & Scott, for example, who supplied a large number of gunmakers with their boxlocks offered the Trade their ‘A&W’, which is an Anson & Deeley action with the Webley & Brain 1884 patent screw grip in five grades.
    Pape himself was never trained as a Gunmaker and couldn't make guns himself. You ordered your guns from him and he had them built for you - with his name on them, obviously, built exactly as you wanted. This would account for the extraordinary number of size, shape and designs that Papes were built in.

However . . .

The guns that he had made were usually of the highest quality, and they weren't cheap, which is why so many survive. Such was the quality of Pape's guns that the Field called Pape: "The Purdey of the North”.
    W.R.Pape was a winner of the London Gun Trials in 1858, 1859, 1866 & 1875

Best wishes for the Holiday Season and a prosperous New Year
    DB

Advertisement