Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Sika/Hybrids in Co.Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

went out shooting last night in a great few fields close to my place. first thing when i arrived i found there was a car parked in my usual spot. i looked in it and saw there was a shotgun carry case, so i knew there were hunters out. i decided to leave my rifle in the car and go investigating. i should add i am one of two people who have permission on this land.
    i stuck to the middle of the fields so that i wouldn't get shot and after exploring nearly all of the land i found two lads with shotguns walking the fields. of course i called them and they walked to me. i asked them if they had permission and they responded that they were just being cheeky and had seen a load of rabbits on the land so they thought they'd chance it. i was none too pleased let me say. the farmer who owns the land is very particular and if he thought i had brought people onto the land without permission that would be the end of the shooting forever. anyway, needless to say i removed them from the land and they told me i'd never see them again. i added of course that the next time i see their car in my spot i will call the farmer and the gardai.

so with the poacher hunting out of the way, i managed to get a bit of actual rabbit hunting in...

here's some of the results, warning, two of the three shots are graphic. one of the rabbits was a great headshot at 75 yards in one eye and out the other, but left him a wee bit messy... got nine in the end and took one home for the pan and he was lovely. thyme, basil, salt and pepper, straight into the pan and some pasta on the side, very tasty...

here are some rabbits i shot last night.

DSC00687.JPG

DSC00688.JPG

DSC00690.JPG

eoin

MOD EDIT: Discussion on the "poacher hunting" is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329702

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Havent posted on here for ages but recently started shooting again after about a year working in co cork at the moment and have a bit of shooting ground. Have taken 18 in the last 4 outings and another 5 off a different permission.

Pics are a bit graphic

These rabbits were all shot from the same position roughly 90 to 110 yards with CZ .17HMR 21" Varmint Hawke Target 6-24X50 using federal 17gr V-max

(click to enlarge)
    th_DSC00488-1.jpg

th_DSC00489-1.jpg

th_DSC00491-1.jpg

th_DSC00486.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Long story short meet the farmer of the field were I shoot to night, he was saying he was missing a lamb. Had seen a vixen and two cubs last week in around the sheep. Asked me to keep an eye out and if I got a chance could i shoot the foxes. We both went our ways I shot the first two rabbits at about 125 paces. Took the next three about ten or so yards on from them. Low and behold as I went up to pick up the first two rabbits some thing caught my eye to the right, one of the cubs making a line for sheep. So i got down and lined him up and took the shot right behind the right shoulder. He did not drop straight away ran for 15 yards he was stuggling big time, so I put another in him this time a bit to high for my liking but it droped him right on the spot ( spine shot).The first cub was taken with Fedral Premium v shok 17 grain, I dont like usually taking a fox with 17 grain but he was only about 20 to 25 yards away. I dont know how he did not drop after the first round as you can see fro the pictures. Loaded up with 20 grains next and had a look in the next field were I have shot many rabbits in the past. There sitting down not a worry in the world was the other cub chewing away on a bone at about 15 yards away. So I lined him up and put one between his eyes he droped right were he was sitting. Went in picked him up and noticed that he was chewing on what looked like a femur bone. Mr farmer would be happy. Waited around for about 2 hours but the vixen did not show, will try for her tomorrow evening. Got a magpie as well so overall not a bad night. All the shooting was done in about the first 10 minutes.

Warning some of the pictures are quite graphic :

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

[IMG][/img]n788462890_704809_200.jpg

[IMG][/img]n788462890_704808_9473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

heres some photos from the time i spent in south africa

hpim0440kp1.jpg
    gemsbuck
    hpim0491ud1.jpg
    nyala
    hpim0519dg6.jpg
    warthog
    hpim0416wd8.jpg
    blesbuck

here is a few more

hpim0532bp5.jpg
    bushbuck

hpim0539ai0.jpg
    waterbuck

p1010125dg2.jpg
    kudu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Deer Stalking Picture 07/08

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

First kill with my new rifle: CZ 452 Lux .22LR / Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.

Absolutely delighted with both the rifle and scope. Headshot at 65 yards

Rifle013.jpg

Great evenings shooting. Was observing a fox staking the rabbits for a good few mins + had an extremely close encounter with a large badger on the was home- we both scared the **** out of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I'm seriously thinking .243:D

PICT0198.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

some pics i took in killarney this week

PICT1948.jpg

PICT1950.jpg

PICT1951.jpg

PICT1952.jpg

PICT1949.jpg

some sika

PICT1959.jpg

PICT1960.jpg

PICT1963.jpg

PICT1965.jpg

Heres one from the other morning, I took him out as he wasnt to experienced in the area we were shooting.
    and i stalked us into 5 nice stags,and i left him take the shot.
    he shot the smallest one as it was going to be a though drag back

photo0020pk7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Was out last weekend on grounds in Kildare checking to see if any pigeon / crow attack & noticed these in wheat field.

Farmer had an awful problem with deer last year - did a lot of damage to crops. We saw a herd of 17 one evening while fox calling.

He had to get a section 42 to cull them. I see they are back this year ...in smaller numbers.....nice to se them about.

17thAugust2008019.jpg

17thAugust2008015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

here's the spoils from monday. got another two tonight so the season is really kicking off to a good start. i threw molly into the picture for good measure although i didnt take her out at all on monday. im hoping she's going to do me proud come november though!

picture0010849110085677ls4.jpg

picture0020771954078905jz6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Shot this lad today... MY FIRST EVER GOOSE..delighted i am...DSC01305.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Saw this on this on the Animals & Pet Issues Forum. Amusing.... and you guessed right, there was a serious sense of humour failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Saw this on this on the Animals & Pet Issues Forum. Amusing.... and you guessed right, there was a serious sense of humour failure.
    I'll be amazed if that doesn't earn the OP a ban of some sort.
    Pics like that are specifically banned in that forum, and the 'humourous' slogan is really rubbing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

seafield2008season017pb5.jpgHad a good morning after the fog lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52k6FdApB94

The original video of the guy chasing the kudu in africa, very good, tough shaggers they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

hpim0416wd8.jpg

OmG SS..........not been on here too long but just keep popping up every where. Tht some nice shooting.......................U seem to be shooting game tht most of us can only dream of.

Back out again this morning after mallard nearly all the birds i'm shooting are this years birds they must have had a great breeding season, thank god.
    seafield2008season003uo6.jpg

This year's bird's but the're more plump than I thought they would be.
    duckbreastsandlegs010nb9.jpg

got this fella this morning he made his was into my greycrow trap

PICT2063.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Good Job !

How did you go about gettin him out?

Id think twice putting in my hand in there:pac:

I noticed your Larsen trap hasnt got trap doors in the side to allow greys to walk in on foot.

It will increase your probability of catchin greys - ive tried both

They are unbelievably cute f***ers

Nothin feels as good though as comming back to a trap with a grey inside

got him out with the help of a .22lr;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭damo03

026lb9.jpg
    025ug5.jpg

First fox with the new rifle. Picture quality aint great but it was a camaera phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

picture quality isnt great but a goods nites shooting me thinks:)

first of the widgeon are in at last;)

• Advertisement

Out again today and still plenty of mallard about, saw one decent flock of widgeon and a few teal, but left them off to get nearer to the mallard.
    seafield2008season005ax2.jpg

Advertisement