Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madness, surely.

• 11-01-2005 3:54am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.taraskryne.org/

Just look at that site, read through it. How unbeliveable mad is it that our government wants to ruin something so amazing?

I mean, just look at it.

*me shakes head and wonders*

Sometimes I think the world really really is gone mad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Hopefully the conservationists will be able to pay a bigger bribe than the developers.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That road will be great. Hope it goes as close as the one by that Stonehenge thing, so I can see it as I drive by. Anyone know if there will there be access to this tara thingy in 4x4's from the motorway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the roads goin to be miles away from Tara anyway, and we badley need this road, dunshaughlin is in bits with traffic all the time now, and we all want to by-pass navan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

there is already a large road "near" tara (at least 2km away), the planned m3 is even further away than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ageary2003

who needs heritage, i suggest we get a big ball of tar and drop it on ireland from space. Honestly some people seem to care more about getting on there commute faster than have important sites like this. Surely it isnt that much effor t to build the road a few miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah and we could use one of those mounds as a roundabout!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

when is the last time of any of you whiney hippies went out to tara.
    I mean, ffs, if your so upset get on your wheelieboard and exercise yourself out there.
    just think some rocks and a hill could be near a road in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

has nobody made that photo into a funny photo yet.....the possibilities are endless

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Does anyone have access to the official distance away the road will be be or an OS map showing the proposed route. seems to be a few people saying that it isn't actually going to be that close to it.
    And I agree with the hippie remark, when WAS the last time you visited it? If the build a road through it millions will see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ageary2003 wrote:
    who needs heritage, i suggest we get a big ball of tar and drop it on ireland from space. Honestly some people seem to care more about getting on there commute faster than have important sites like this. Surely it isnt that much effor t to build the road a few miles away.

the road is going to be a few miles away from the hill of tara. The road is desperately needed though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Chalk wrote:
    when is the last time of any of you whiney hippies went out to tara.
    I mean, ffs, if your so upset get on your wheelieboard and exercise yourself out there.
    just think some rocks and a hill could be near a road in the future.
    I live quite near to it actually. And if you had the slightest clue about Neolithic monuments, you'd realise that there are always smaller satellite tombs scattered for miles around, which have yet to be excavated. So this road would inevitably destroy a lot of archaelogical matter that hasn't even been discovered yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

it does look like a lil man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Pet wrote:
    I live quite near to it actually. And if you had the slightest clue about Neolithic monuments, you'd realise that there are always smaller satellite tombs scattered for miles around, which have yet to be excavated. So this road would inevitably destroy a lot of archaelogical matter that hasn't even been discovered yet.

now I don't agree with building the road.. but just one point... the govt. will not spend money on excavating sites or areas unless there is a proposed building or development.. so the only way a lot of archaeological evidence is found in this country is as a result of roads like this. If the road does go ahead the area will first have to undergo serious excavations.. which would not otherwise be done anytime in the near future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Maximilian wrote:
    That road will be great. Hope it goes as close as the one by that Stonehenge thing, so I can see it as I drive by. Anyone know if there will there be access to this tara thingy in 4x4's from the motorway?

Ha ha ha.....
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

joejoem wrote:
    has nobody made that photo into a funny photo yet.....the possibilities are endless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭captainplanet

isnt that what that letter is about? the one on the link?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I wasn't gonna reply because the post was met with such ignorance by some.

This isn't just a road. It is a toll road. They are going to charge you to use it.

It is not going to fix traffic problems, merely move them onto the next town.

Did anyone _actually_ read the site?

There are many other alternatives.

Saving Tara, a very relevant place in Ireland, for numerous reasons, and moving a road three miles to the other side is something that is not that hard to do, regardless of how you feel about Tara itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

moving the road another 3 miles will take another 10 years of planning, and we'll never get the road. The m3 has already been in the works for 7 years, any slight changes and its back to the drawing board for the planning

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:
    moving the road another 3 miles will take another 10 years of planning, and we'll never get the road. The m3 has already been in the works for 7 years, any slight changes and its back to the drawing board for the planning
    Oh no, god save us, we wouldn't want to let our heritage and history get in the way of commuters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pet wrote:
    Oh no, god save us, we wouldn't want to let our heritage and history get in the way of commuters...
    There's got to be a certain amount of give and take here. For the sake of some vaguely interesting rocks and bones, you can't always stand in the way of the requires of today's society.

Besides, when we're all dead and buried, some archaeologist in the future will find the tomb *and* the road! So all is not lost.

seamus wrote:
    There's got to be a certain amount of give and take here. For the sake of some vaguely interesting rocks and bones, you can't always stand in the way of the requires of today's society.

Besides, when we're all dead and buried, some archaeologist in the future will find the tomb *and* the road! So all is not lost.
    It's not just rocks and bones though; it's arguably one of the most important heritage sites in Ireland, not to mention a major tourist attraction. Look what happened to Stonehenge, and the difficulties surrounding it today.
    I know it does need to be built, but there's already enough give and take in the fact that it's going through a very scenic area. The current route just adds insult to injury. And this is the Irish government we're talking about here - you can be guaranteed they're going to take the stupidest, most backward and ignorant route possible, because that's what they inevitably do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I've no problem with the road - but I do object to the toll part of it. (actually I dont mind if alternative routes are available and its 100% private)

Heritage is nice but if it's needed then it has to be built.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Maybe make a golf course out of it - they'd look after the grass and stuff, if that would keep the treehuggers happy. Hill of Tara Country Club has a ring to it, doesn't it?

Advertisement