Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds all to familiar.. Irish Independent 11/01/2005

Options
  • 11-01-2005 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Sounds all to familiar..
    Irish Independent 11/01/2005

"Uniformed gardai were attempting to negotiate with the man - who is understood to be in his 40s - to persuade him to surrender himself. The uniformed officers were quickly supported by armed Garda units. It is understood the man's weapon is a high-powered hunting rifle.
    Almost 20 gardai drawn from Bantry and surrounding stations raced to Schull, Co Cork, at 9pm last night after a 40-year-old man reported that he had been assaulted and then shot at by another man.
    Miraculously, the rifle bullet only grazed the head of the man and he was able to flee and raise the alarm"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I think an update to this story is a statement from the Gardaí that no shot was discharged.
    Someone was struck with the butt of a shotgun..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Gardai surround house after man shoots at neighbour

ARMED gardai were involved in a siege last night after a man fired a rifle at a neighbour and then refused to surrender himself to officers.

Almost 20 gardai drawn from Bantry and surrounding stations raced to Schull, Co Cork, at 9pm last night after a 40-year-old man reported that he had been assaulted and then shot at by another man.

Miraculously, the rifle bullet only grazed the head of the man and he was able to flee and raise the alarm.

However, his armed attacker then locked himself into a nearby house. Gardai raced to Schull and surrounded a house six miles outside the popular west Cork yachting and tourism village.

Uniformed gardai were attempting to negotiate with the man - who is understood to be in his 40s - to persuade him to surrender himself. The uniformed officers were quickly supported by armed Garda units. It is understood the man's weapon is a high-powered hunting rifle.

One west Cork Garda source indicated that the incident is believed to have erupted after a local dispute got out of control.

The victim is understood to have been badly beaten - he was struck in the face with the butt of a gun - before the rifle was discharged at him.

The injured man was taken to Bantry General Hospital last night for medical assessment and treatment.

Gardai expressed hope that the stand-off would be resolved without further confrontation.

Ralph Riegel

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Gardaí in West Cork have confirmed no shots were fired during an incident in Schull last night.

A man in his 50s was assaulted and suffered a suspected broken jaw after being struck by the butt of a shotgun. The gun was not discharged at any stage.

Gardaí are investigating the incident between two men at a house in the Toormore area.

The injured man was admitted to Bantry General Hospital where he is described as being in a stable condition.

A shotgun was confiscated by gardaí last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Sounds like a regular night in limerick city! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Rovi wrote:
    Extract from RTE report: Miraculously, the rifle bullet only grazed the head of the man and he was able to flee and raise the alarm.

Hhmmm. I remember a similar report about 3 or 4 years ago. A newspaper claimed that a round actually deflected off a guys head, and if I remember correctly it was high calibre weapon that was involved. I'd say its more likely that he was standing beside a wall, the round hit the wall and dislodged a load of concrete some of which cut his forehead. The chip of concrete might hurt but I'd prefer it to a high velocity full metal jacket any day.

Any other ballistics experts out there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

sniper83 wrote:
    Sounds like a regular night in limerick city! :D

As a Limerick person and a first time poster on this web. Your comments don't sit well with me and bring the tone of the board down. Please keep them to yourself and concentrate on the subject matter of this board.

Just my opinion
    Sharon.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

LB6 wrote:
    As a Limerick person and a first time poster on this web. Your comments don't sit well with me and bring the tone of the board down. Please keep them to yourself and concentrate on the subject matter of this board.

Just my opinion
    Sharon.

you're right, there is no place for humour in this forum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm impressed with a first time poster promoting themselves to moderator...

I'm sure counselling will be made available to Limerick people evrywhere to help them cope with the trauma inflicted by Sniper 83's comment.

Anyway, back to the story - it seems to be different in every telling and in the different sources - rifle/shotgun, shots fired/no shots fired etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

About limerick.I live right next door to the Northside where most of the REAL hard nuts reside.Couldnt care less about comments about stab city,heard it all before,and am damn proud to be from Limerick.water of the proverbial ducks back.
    Anyway ..moving on. Intresting to see the disinformation on the reports of this incident,and intresting to see it is coming to deal with the bailey libel case .first it was a rifle,then shotgun,then rifle again.Either the national press doesnt know its arse from it's elbow when it comes to firearms or just parrotts everything it is told from the Garda press office.Either case not unusual in my experiance.One wonders could one get a job as a "consultant" to inform the press on firearms,as they seem to be able to pull out "experts" on every other subject.

Jeese - didn't mean to stand on anyones toes! Sorry! Stomp Stomp ooops :)

By the way - the board is very good and informative - keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Don't worry about it LB6 - welcome by the way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

with regard to the accuracy of the report:
    It can now be confirmed that LB6 actually fired the shot from her high powered peg-gun, it then ricocheted off of Glockfan's back as he managed to tense up his duck feathers just in time. It then struck a wall sending shards of plaster and sand onto the road network in cork where the local authorities immediately assumed it was a new roundabout provided by the NRA (national roads authority). The Gardai were un-armed and were merely directing traffic.
    Hope this helps clear thigs up!

Vinnie
    (you can't handle the truth!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

vinnie,

sounds like a reason to ban something, ..... :D

we missed it all this time...it rifle butts that are a danger....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Shotgun butts, surely Fall?

Thanks for the welcome Civdef.

As for you vin - see ya on the range! (soften your cough for you) :)

Shar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

LB6 wrote:

Just my opinion
    Sharon.

Apologies LB6 and to all limerick people, didnt mean to cause offence..

Advertisement