Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Tranquillity - Swedish Melodic Death anyone ???

Options
  • 11-01-2005 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Anyone into Dark Tranquillity in this place???

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say you'll find a few... I've heard one or two of their songs not really convinced about them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ahhhh yes!
    Dark Tranquillity, ****ing great band.
    just got into them recently enough but got myself 2 albums, its excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Indeed, superb band, some phenomonal music altogether and they dont have a single genuinely bad album. Their singer Mikael Stanne is also simply unbelievable, he can do more styles than is funny, his work on the 'Projector' album is unreal, the guitarists, while not as forward as the In Flames guitarists back in In Flames first 6 albums, arent to be laughed at either, a quick listen to 'The Gallery' will show you, their indeed great guitarists when they want to be (the first song on that album, punish my heaven, is unreal).

As for other great melodic death bands, you could look towards In Flames music right up until 'Clayman', after that they kind of went to the dogs a bit, bit their best albums would probably be 'The Jester Race', and 'Whoracle', unbelievable albums (Listening to Jester Race atm actually). You could also give 'At The Gates' a try, another swedish melodic death band, only started listenign to them recently, but I like what Ive heard, and there seem to be a few people who regard them highly around these parts.

At The Gates , good choice. Throw in some Amon Amarth there too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DarkTranquiLity

Pugsley wrote:
    Indeed, superb band, some phenomonal music altogether and they dont have a single genuinely bad album. Their singer Mikael Stanne is also simply unbelievable, he can do more styles than is funny, his work on the 'Projector' album is unreal, the guitarists, while not as forward as the In Flames guitarists back in In Flames first 6 albums, arent to be laughed at either, a quick listen to 'The Gallery' will show you, their indeed great guitarists when they want to be (the first song on that album, punish my heaven, is unreal).

I agree with you BIG TIME. "Punish my Heaven" is fukin serious. The whole fukin album is unbelievable. Try out "Damage Done" and the song, Format C: for Cortex, if you havent already. Or "Haven" album.........fukin classic

• Advertisement

Yea I have the full disgoraphy of both In Flames and Dark Tranquility. I didnt like 'Damage Done' at first, but it grew on me, quite a lot too, some songs like Final Resistance, Monochomatic Stains, and the Treason Wall, all fantastic songs, and some great vocal work in Format C for Cortex aswell. Haven is indeed another class album, a lot of synt and keyboard work on it, but its realyl well composed, songs like Ego Drama, Indiffrent Suns and Fabric are phenominal, while guitar wise it is probably their most simple album to play, its really well put together and structured.

i just got Character, the new album. it ****in rules. :D very different from Damage Done, a lot heavier i find.

They have a new album? why wasnt I told? :eek:
    Must get me grubby mitts on this then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Been fairly indifferent to their last few efforts, didn't think Damage Done was particularly stellar, so I doubt I'll bother with the new album myself. But you cannot beat the classics, The Gallery is phenominal stuff altogether, as is The Mind's I.

Dunno what it is about the Minds I, it done nothing for me really, dunno why. However the Gallery is an undoubtable master piece, some of their stuff with their origional signer (Anders Friden, from In Flames) is pretty good too, Nightfall by the Shores of Time has some class stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vindictive_miss

Pugsley wrote:
    As for other great melodic death bands, you could look towards In Flames music right up until 'Clayman', after that they kind of went to the dogs a bit, bit their best albums would probably be 'The Jester Race', and 'Whoracle', unbelievable albums (Listening to Jester Race atm actually). You could also give 'At The Gates' a try, another swedish melodic death band, only started listenign to them recently, but I like what Ive heard, and there seem to be a few people who regard them highly around these parts.

I've heard two 'At the Gates' songs and they were amazing!I'd buy an album but money is the problem. In flames are ok, have one album (colony) it's not brilliant, maybe it's just not there best one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Dark Tranquillity...are they like Cult of Luna...?

Cos they are class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, they're not like Cult of Luna really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Thanks Karl...I must check them out anyhoo...

The Scandanavian metal scene is really good...

Spiritual Beggars...Grand Magnus to name but two...

I've heard two 'At the Gates' songs and they were amazing!I'd buy an album but money is the problem. In flames are ok, have one album (colony) it's not brilliant, maybe it's just not there best one.
    Colony is a decent enough album, not a touch on the 4 albums before hand (it was their 5th), if you want to hear In Flames at their best, cant go wrong with 'The Jester Race', or 'Whoracle',

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ryou

I'm into mostly Swedish black/death metal. I get most of my stuff from here - www.rockazilla.com

There are some pretty hard to find stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I came across this thread in a google search-I would class myself as a dark tranquillity fan-unlike in flames; dark tranquillity always stayed true to their roots and never changed-the only album dark tranquillity brought out Id class as weak would be projecter- far too songs on that album with the clean vocals; dont get me wrong the clean vocals are ok for about one song on an album like misery crown on fiction-but clean vocals on almost every song on an album like projecter is off putting-all their other albums Id rate between 7/8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'm a huge DT fan, but I really came moreso to marvel at the age of this thread. I wasn't even on Boards 8 years ago; sure, the band have released three studio albums since the last post! A true piece of R&M history.

Advertisement