Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 double chance tonight

Options
  • 11-01-2005 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing the €50 double chance tourney tonight? How many will enter do you think?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think I'm dealing for Luke tonight in it, if not I'll definitely be playing it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

What's the deal with this and when does it kick off?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It kicks off at 8:45 (slightly later then usual because the 5-card-draw game is on tonight too).

The deal is this: You pay 50+5 and you either get 3K chips there and then with no topup or rebuy. **OR** you take 1500 in chips and can have a 1500 rebuy OR a 1500 topup for free.

I'm still thinking through what strategy I think is the best. Part of me says to take 1500 to give me two ALL IN's (which are powerful moves) and that everyone at the table can double me through, but another part says to take 3000 and bully the 1500 stacks and that if I hit AA I will get paid 3k (hopefully) rather then a max of 1500.

There you go now!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

It's such a miserable day, with worse promised - but I so enjoyed last Friday's €50 rebuy that I am thinking of turning up. Considering I have only played that Secret Santa tournie for €65 and €110 (less €20 in scalps) for last Friday, I'd really want to make it to the final table at some point to justify it! Have to factor in €15 in taxi fare per tournie also.

I also wonder about taking the 3000 to begin with. I think this might be the best move - as you mentioned, imagine you get a monster hand and will only double your 1500 instead of 3000? I also think psychologically, a 3000 all in will be much more off-putting to the 1500 stacks than a 1500 all in. Ah, what do I know anyhow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well if the 1500 stacks have the strategy of trying to play loose and double up then they are the ones ripe for the picking if you happen to hit. Just choose your oppentents wisely for the first hour or so

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm thinking that if I get to play (unlikely given that there is another tournie on at the same time!) I'd take 1500 and look for a 3K bully when I get a hand. 1500 and uber tight/agg would seem the best way to me....

Talking to Oscar about this last night we were agreed that it very much depends on the prevailing wind... if everyone is taking 1500 then there is little point in taking 3K as you are simply limited to winning half your stack and twice the stack simply doesnt have enough bully-power imho to make up for that and for the lack of a rebuy/second-all-in-move.

IonaPaul... I know you play online too... how long have you been playing? Getting to the final table of the 50 or 100 game is a considerable achievement and not one I'd start chiding myself over if I didnt make it in the first dozen attempts!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    Yeah, I'm thinking that if I get to play (unlikely given that there is another tournie on at the same time!) I'd take 1500 and look for a 3K bully when I get a hand. 1500 and uber tight/agg would seem the best way to me....

Talking to Oscar about this last night we were agreed that it very much depends on the prevailing wind... if everyone is taking 1500 then there is little point in taking 3K as you are simply limited to winning half your stack and twice the stack simply doesnt have enough bully-power imho to make up for that and for the lack of a rebuy/second-all-in-move.
    DeV.

I doubt you will be able to do much bullying in the first few rounds, especially as this is effectively a rebuy. However My feeling on this is that better plays should buy in for the max straight away, the better player you are the more times you make the right decision, and the bigger stakes you play for the more meaningfull the decisions you make are. Thats why good players tend to buy in for the max into cash games. You really dont want to only have 1500 chips if you have a monster against somebody with a big stack.

Well, been playing almost 4 months I suppose online - the reason I would like to justify making some money back in the Fitz is my relative success online. If I am winning online only to lose it in real life, I'm not sure I'm being particularly smart.

You're right about the prevailing wind - no point taking the big stack if you are going to be the only one at your table.

So would you expect a big turnout for the tournie tonight? 30+?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

ionapaul wrote:
    You're right about the prevailing wind - no point taking the big stack if you are going to be the only one at your table.

Stacks tend to change size

Hopefully mine will tend to get bigger.

Ooh, matron!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with Hector, I think I would take the big stack every time. If you lose your initial stack late in the rebuy period, 1500 could still leave you shortstacked or on the way to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 delrodge

You would have to buy in with 3 k surely?
    even if everyone at your table has 1500, they're likely to play loose knowing they have a rebuy and soon enough there'll be bigger stacks than 3k at the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

Well it was interesting in the end. Almost everybody stuck with 1500 (plus 300 in early bird bonus chips) to start with.

Play was a little loose but there wasn't much of the dramatic ups and downs and all-ins (at table 2 anyway) and I didn't really miss the other 1500 in chips. It was nice as a top up at the break, but that also means it wasn't much use to me sitting behind the counter up to then.

It's hard to know.

It was a fun tournament though! Not sure whether that was due to the select field (3 tables of the usual friendly suspects) or due to the format though.

It's definitely worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

this on every week now? sounds sweet!

is there a new tournie schedule now with the second floor? dying for all the super crazy formats to be broken out! :)

I took 1500 and doubled up during the second level when Des and I got frisky with TT versus AA on a 9-high flop. Some really fun speech play going on too!

I motored lovely up until I hit a Ten high flop with QT, then a Queen on the turn and got KK to go all in except the board paired on the river. F.F.S.

Back to 3K in chips after the top up which felt like a complete waste of effort.
    But I was happy with my play and motored some more until I got moved to Paddy Hicks table where the banter was hilarious. I stole Paddy's blinds there a few days ago, I mean, ONCE. He still hasnt forgiven me and I'm pretty sure he put a move on me at one stage (evil little goblin!).

I got moved again with about 6K in chips and played the second of the two hands I've noted from last night. I'll post them up because they are bizzarre. It was against Irene (who I like and who's play I respect!) and I doubled up off of REALLY ropey play but she had loads at that point anyway. :)

Final table was very weird with 3-4 players going out very fast and for once some great poker being played rather then the usual all-in-or-fold-fest. I called for all of my chips on a read holding only AT suited!

There was almost *too* much play in the final table and we did business 5-handed and played for the change so everyone tossed chips around like drunkards and I went out 4th. Annoyingly I had forgotten there are league points for this tournie! I should have played properly but it was late and I'd secured 150 profit (prize pool was 1300).

I liked the tournie but the chip thing is just a little flavouring, its not as big a deal as I thought it might be. Next time I'll probably take 3000 or at least at by the end of level 2 as one thing I cant believe I forgot is that the blinds increasing devalue your top up chips, which is why you usually get more each time you rebuy in a normal tournie.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    I called for all of my chips on a read holding only AT suited!
    DeV.

For feck sake! How could you call with that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

3 tables
    What time did it finish?

MadsL wrote:
    What time did it finish?

About 1:30 maybe? Kind of late considering. The stack sizes were quite comfortable in relation to the blinds so it dragged on a wee bit, particularly the last 5 players.

It took forever actually, it was well past 1, maybe closer to 2 in the end, I cant figure out why either....

DeV.

BMC... I cant put a face to the nick... were you at final table?

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    BMC... I cant put a face to the nick... were you at final table?

DeV.

ehh... yeah... briefly!

That CRAZY :) ATs suited call of yours knocked me out. ok, so it may have been a bit cheeky to put you all-in first place but...

aha.... *waves*. It was a good call neh? I even explained my reasoning (so that people dont think I'm *completely* fooking crackers!).

what was it again? 68c? Chancer! I thought you were going to outdraw me when you hit on the flop. If you'd called my raise rather then going big, and then bet the flop you'd have taken it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I'll get u back for those aces pal, don't you worry!
    Me and Paddy Hicks are gonna take you downtown. Downtown to Chinatown! oh Yeah!

On a good note I came home and made 300 dollars online. Which is just as well as its the same amount I pissed away at the weekend.

Furiously,

Des.

DeVore wrote:
    what was it again? 68c? Chancer! I thought you were going to outdraw me when you hit on the flop.

Hey now they were connected too! 67c.

In fairness, yes, it probably wasn't the smartest move I've ever made.

I thought I was going to outdraw you too. It would've been nice to make up for you outdrawing me a week or two ago in (I think) the Thursday night €50 game. (Your QJo Vs my JJ, your Queen high flush beat mine).

Next ones mine!

Advertisement