Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are EsatBT complicit in Eircom's monopoly?

Options
  • 11-01-2005 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Most of us know that NTL and IBB are the only significant Irish broadband providers that can actually offer higher bandwidth at a reasonable price compared to Eircom and the companies that resell Eircom's ADSL.

We know that EsatBT unbundled 40 exchanges with approximately 2500 lines. My point is that EsatBT don't seem to be challenging Eircom at all. In fact, they don't seem to care about LLU. Are EsatBT now a virtual operator? They seem to be happy just selling other companies products. Any time LLU is in the news, IrelandOffline is the only one complaining about it!

Why aren't EsatBT pushing ComReg for much cheaper LLU? Why aren't EsatBT doubling or quadrupling the bandwidth available at least on the exchanges they unbundled? Could they release a statement on their website, mentioning that they are waiting for cheaper LLU from the regulator, and when ComReg eventually gets its ass in gear, they would actively start unbundling more exchanges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark@mediasat

I think that Esat are more concerned with going after phone accounts, esp for large companies, or in supplying leased line for again larger companies.

I think it's a buisness decision to concentrate on high end high margin customers instead of bulk low margin stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Praetorian wrote:
    We know that EsatBT unbundled 40 exchanges with approximately 2500 lines. My point is that EsatBT don't seem to be challenging Eircom at all. In fact, they don't seem to care about LLU. Are EsatBT now a virtual operator? They seem to be happy just selling other companies products. Any time LLU is in the news, IrelandOffline is the only one complaining about it!

Why aren't EsatBT pushing ComReg for much cheaper LLU? Why aren't EsatBT doubling or quadrupling the bandwidth available at least on the exchanges they unbundled? Could they release a statement on their website, mentioning that they are waiting for cheaper LLU from the regulator, and when ComReg eventually gets its ass in gear, they would actively start unbundling more exchanges?

I think Bill Murphy made it clear in some interviews that under the current LLU structure and pricing it is not viable to use it for consumer products. ALTO are consistently trying to put pressure on the regulator and the DCMNR to change the farce current LLU is.

The Unbundling Esat/BT did was a financial fiasco for them, despite the massive grant aid and the best effort they put into the process.

But if and when the proposed half unbundling price reduction comes (which will reduce it to a nominal fee) Esat/BT should be in a good position to use its presence in the 40 exchanges to have a go for it.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bill was decent enough to send me a reply. I'll copy and paste the whole email now:

"I don t agree"

Advertisement