Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK 2001 car reg question?

Options
  • 11-01-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a Y reg and 51 reg in the UK? Both are 2001 registrations. I presume one is earlier in the year than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Y is older. It was the last of the old registration system.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

The car registration system changed over here in september 2001. A car registered between aug 2000 and aug 2001 would have an "X" plate eg "X123 abc" and cars registered after september 2001 have the new system which consists of a local tag and an age identifer followed by 3 random letters. You can register new cars twice a year 1st march - 31 aug and 1st sept - 28th feb. Cars registered march - aug get a number from this march it will be 05 cars registered sept - feb get 5* from this sept it will be 55. The local tag make sense once you know them eg my car is SJ 04 *** The S being Scotland and the J (a-J) being Glasgow. If I registered in DVLA Edinburgh it would have been S (k-o) 04***

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Did they not change the old system to 6 monthly changes a few years back (round about the R plates)? I thought the new system had quarterly changes in date identifier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I'm not sure, but if you say both are 2001, then y reg was registered in the 6months prior to 01 August 2001. X reg is the 6 month period before Y, and so on.

New system is still 1/2 yearly, I thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

51 was right after y, and was the first half of the year.
    52 is the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Six monthly changes started with -
    'S' reg (Aug 98 - Feb 99)......

'Y' reg = March - August 2001.

Then the new system was introduced -

51 = Sept 01 - Feb 02
    02 = Mar - Aug 02
    52 = Sept 02 - Feb 03
    03 = Mar - Aug 03
    53 = Sept 03 - Feb 04
    04 = Mar - Aug 04
    54 = Sept 04 - Feb 05
    05 = Mar - Aug 05

etc. etc. etc.

Actually lots of UK plates now look begin like reversed Irish plates !

For example -

Oxford (Mar-Aug 04) = OY04
    Luton (Mar-Aug 04) = KE04
    Bristol (Mar-Aug 04) = WW04 ...........

Damn brits copied OUR system !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for the info guys. So if I was importing a 51 reg it could actually have 02 plates here if registered in Jan/Feb 02?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and of course, i was completely off.
    as above, after the y reg plate finished, the first half of the year was 0 followed by the year, ie. 01 and the second half was 5 followed by the year. ie 51.

Sorry, WWM, you're wrong again ! :D

Look at my list above - "5" rolls over to the following year in each case.

daveg,
    The short answer is - YES!

I'm sure car dealers must love the new system in the UK, new car sales/'new reg hype' , twice a year !

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Silvera wrote:
    Sorry, WWM, you're wrong again ! :D

Look at my list above - "5" rolls over to the following year in each case.

daveg,
    The short answer is - YES!

I'm sure car dealers must love the new system in the UK, new car sales/'new reg hype' , twice a year !

Actually part of the reasoning behind this twice yearly system was to put a stop to the "new reg hype"

• Advertisement

Has it worked ? ..... doubt it.

New UK system = 'new reg hype' twice a year!

Advertisement