Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wireless Router questions..

• 11-01-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Recieved my Wireless Router from Eircom in the post today. Set it up straight away.

I'm connected on my laptop right now far away from any phone line.. :D.. so it's obviously working!

But when i enabled the Wireless Connection and clicked 'View Available Networks' - i got network '7607 3655' which has 'Unsecured wireless network' beneath it.

Also, when i click 'Change the order of preferred networks' when viewing available networks. It gives me an option for 'Eircom' along with the network i'm currently connected to. However, the connection for 'Eircom' is obviously out of range (aerial with the red 'x').

My 2 questions are:

1. Am i connecting to the right network.. should i be using this Eircom one that's out of range, or am i correct to be using this network '7607 3655'?
    2. How do i secure this network, as it says 'Unsecured wireless network' beneath it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I dont know what the wireless router that Eircom supply is, but it sounds like one of your neighbours has the same thing too. By default all wireless routers are setup to pretty much work straight out of the box, without needing to go in and setup any of the security settings so they often wont get set at all.
    There should be some basic info on how to access the routers settings that came with it, but it will probably just be a case of entering http://192.168.1.1/ into your browser. That ip address may be slightly different though. You should really do this when connected to the router with an ethernet cable though as in changing the setting you will lose the wireless link before you then set your laptops card up correctly.
    The setting that you need to look for in the routers settings are the SSID which I suspect is '7607 3655'. You can change this to anything you like and there should also be an option to turn off the broardcast of this id.
    For actually securing your network there is either WEP or WPA-PSK, with the second one being more secure but depends on if the laptop card can handle it or not. But the WEP is better than nothing.
    There are then two different levels of WEP, which again depends on which the laptop card can do, 64bit or 128bit ( which may also be called 40bit and 96bit, but I'm not sure about the 96, but that difference in naming is just down the the manufactures tyring to confuse people by using different names for the same thing).
    You'll need to enter a passphrase which then generates a set of hex codes on the router which you need to enter then on the configuration for the wireless settings for the laptop card also.
    Unfortunately, where you enter these settings is different depending on the brand of laptop card also and if the installation for the card has installed its own application for setting this up or if you just need to use the Windows wireless configuration utilities.

I hope I have not confused matters too much more for you though.

Advertisement