Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

disabling the "Run As" feature Win XP SP2

• 11-01-2005 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Any help on this would be great...I can't seem to open any of my programs via the desktop shortcuts !! When I double click the icons a message comes up asking me to "run the program as the current user", I have to uncheck a box - something about virus control - to allow the program to run.
    When I right click an icon on the desktop, i don't get a "open" option - the list starts with "run as".....
    Is this something to do with having two or more users on Win Xp home? Does any body know how to fix this annoying little problem?
    Any help would be great

thanks in advance
    ps

I haven't tried to open the programs via c: but i will try when i get home...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Right Click Icon -> Properties then copy the target, open Explorer and past the target into address Bar(see if there dead links).

WTF!
    Non related (The Sign in your sig Dont work to good, Im running Opera 7.54 it tells me im running IE6.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I did that, all the targets are where they should be,
    the programs all run fine but when I double click an icon - it's not only the desktop icons but all executable programs - a "Run As" box comes up asking me - "which user account do you wish to use this program?" even when there is only one user logged on!
    It has a button tagged {Current user(**********\***) }

and a box checked - {protect my computer from unauthorised program activity}

it goes on to say = "This option can prevent computer viruses from harming your computer or personal data, but selecting it might cause the program to function improperly."

Obviously I uncheck the box and the prog runs nice and smoothly. I have also ran programs with the box checked so i don't imagine that this is anything to do with the problem.

There was something on Microsoft's help website about disabling the Run As feature, It involved editing the registry - something that I do very rarely - but after much searching I couldn't find the root it was asking me to edit!!

I have recently used Tune Up Utilities 2004 to clean out the registry of unused and bad keys etc. - something I have done before with no problems. This could be the beginning of my problem....

I suspect that I have to do a Tune Up recover to resolve the issue, but my pc is running nicely except this annoying little thing of having to go through the Run As feature to run an app.

BTW - Everything is updated, I've done all the virus, adware and spyware scans and everything is clean as a whistle....

If any one has any advice or know how to disable this "Run As" feature I would be very grateful. I don't really want to do a Tune Up recovery!!

Thanks again..

Advertisement