Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA and Bluetooth headset.

Options
  • 11-01-2005 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

I have a Dell Axim X50 and a Motorola Bluetooth headset. For some reason the
    PDA doesn't see the headset when I search. Some googling has revealed it's
    fairly common but there doesn't seem to be a good solution (one which doesn't
    involve me getting a new headset). Anyone managed to get them to work
    together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not entirely sure why you need to do this, is the axim a phone too ??
    With my Jabra BT Headset I have to put it into discover mode before a device like a phone can pick it up. The device is invisible to everything bar it's paired phone unless I do this. Is it possible the Motorola is similar ?

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

ZENER wrote:
    Not entirely sure why you need to do this, is the axim a phone too ??ZEN

www.skype.com ;)

ZENER wrote:
    With my Jabra BT Headset I have to put it into discover mode before a device like a phone can pick it up. The device is invisible to everything bar it's paired phone unless I do this. Is it possible the Motorola is similar ?

ZEN

Did you have to do that to pair the headset with the phone to begine with? I'm not familiar with Jabra but I can't see any way to put the Moto headset into discovery, it's pretty much only got and on/off button

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Yes - you'll need to pair them first. Moto doesn't automatically broadcast - you'll need to force the headset into discovery mode

Which moto headset do you have.

I've the HS820 which you hold the talk button down for a number of seconds until the light is on permanently (not flashing) at which point the phone is in discover mode and you can locate on your PDA, Mobile, etc.. (Passkey is 0000)

see manual

-RikD.

RikD wrote:
    Yes - you'll need to pair them first. Moto doesn't automatically broadcast - you'll need to force the headset into discovery mode

Which moto headset do you have.

I've the HS820 which you hold the talk button down for a number of seconds until the light is on permanently (not flashing) at which point the phone is in discover mode and you can locate on your PDA, Mobile, etc.. (Passkey is 0000)

see manual

-RikD.
    I can't believe I forgot you had to do that. Gah! I'm such a pleb.

Thanks RikD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said !!

The Jabra is the same, it has a pair of volume buttons and an answer button. Holding the Answer button for 10 seconds puts it in discovery mode just like the moto . . . but then you knew that . . . didn't you ;)

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Declan, coincidentally I just downloaded skype onto my pc last night and saw that it offered the system for PPC as well. I started an account with skypeout and rang Australia for 1.7c a minute (Great sound and reception). However, I rang my wife's mobile and it was much more expensive (about 19c a minute as far as I could figure). Question: would the costs of using skype via PPC make it viable (if I was calling a landline or mobile as opposed to another pc or ppc)?

Myksyk wrote:
    Declan, coincidentally I just downloaded skype onto my pc last night and saw that it offered the system for PPC as well. I started an account with skypeout and rang Australia for 1.7c a minute (Great sound and reception). However, I rang my wife's mobile and it was much more expensive (about 19c a minute as far as I could figure). Question: would the costs of using skype via PPC make it viable (if I was calling a landline or mobile as opposed to another pc or ppc)?
    There is a full lists of costs available on the website (http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html). It's not worth it for calling mobiles in most countries (with the exception of the US and a few others). I've known about it for yonks but only signed upto an account a few days ago. I won't use it often (I have friends in Boston and the UK who I would call occasionaly) and if you're ever away on holliers all you have to do is find somewhere with a wifi signal and bobs your uncle, you can call home for next to nothing. Using skype via PPC isn't any different cost wise then using it on a PC (your post suggests you might think this). It would also be a very viable option for a lot of young people moving into places with mobile phones (they wouldn't really need to get a landline assuming they have broadband). How valuable it is really comes down to individual circumstances. Oh, and of course, talking to someone via your PDA is just plain frickin cool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

My concern is that on my PC I'm using my landline to call out, while on my PDA (Dell Axim x50v) i connect via infra-red using my mobile. Is this not likely to make the call more expensive? (or are you just talking about connecting thru free wi-fi hot spots?).

I wouldn't like to even think how much it would cost to call on a mobile, I'd only use it with some form of broadband.

Advertisement