Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXEL Prestige 600 series and Lan

• 11-01-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

I was messing around with the modem and found out i could connect my pc and laptop to the ethernet and usb ports and share the bandwidth at the same time . Im just wondering can the Zyxel be used to share files between the 2 computers like over a lan since technically the Zyxel acts like a hub .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I wouldn't imagine so. Can you ping between the laptop and pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

nope . I have been unable to assign addresses or find out what addresses the ZyXel uses . For the modem to send packets to the computers it give each one a ip address , right ? So on that , im clinging my hopes that it can act as a router .

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I had a Prestige 652 ADSL Modem/router and was able to share an Eircom ADSL connection,
    try connecting just one PC to the Router, usually the IP is set to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, the IP of the network card on the PC would have to be in the same range, point your IE browser to http:\\192.168.1.1 [or whatever] to get the configuration page, if you cannot determine the IP address of your router try setting your PC to DHCP and see if the prestige will lease an address, or you can reset the modem by poking a pen into the reset hole.
    If you can get into the router, set the dialup properties and the username/password for your broadband account and connect, once one PC is connected you can use the other available RJ45 ports to connect others in the same IP range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iluvbeer

Bodan wrote:
    nope . I have been unable to assign addresses or find out what addresses the ZyXel uses . For the modem to send packets to the computers it give each one a ip address , right ? So on that , im clinging my hopes that it can act as a router .

Your addresses will start out from 192.168.1.33

I was only able to route traffic through it as a hub after resetting the firmware and going back to all defaults. But doing this will lose your login information so no internet and hub at the same time. Its one or the other.

If anyone finds a way around this, please let me know, ive been messing with the configurations for ages. Best plan if you want to connect the laptop and PC, get a crossover cable and assign the machines IP addresses in the same range.Its what I do if i have a few large files to move around.

Advertisement