Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw parts, rip off?

Options
  • 11-01-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi folks

as per previous posts, i bought a fan belt, water pump, thermostat (with housing), air filter for 94, 316i

total outlay of 227euro ish. the thermo was an alarming 130euro plus, dont know exact cost. the thermo without housing is about 11euro, how can they justify 100euro for a slab of plastic housing?

least im putting on these myself <or my brother i should add>

got these from a a motofactors in tralee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did you need a new housing?

You got ripped off, German Swedish and French in Dublin do them for about 20 quid (so say 35 euro for mark up). They do Waterpump for 24 squids, airfilter for about 6 and could'nt find a belt.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think even BMW would charge this amount for consumables like these. Were they ordered specially?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What about the BMW 'assembled parts' rip off whereby they charge an exorbidant amount for a bunch of parts that have been stuck together? But I suppose with the assmebled parts you're getting the synergistic effect of them functioning as a car and, with the 3 series in particular, the exclusivity of a car that outsells all other german built cars with the exception of the vw golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yah, ordered specially

the bmw needs a thermo, driving without one is dodgey, i ordered one, thinking it would cost much more or less 20euro, like the one which wouldnt fit....(for an e30 bmw i think)

130 is a scam alright, i saw them for 20 squids, but what can i do.,...

*sobs*!

how can they justify this price, can i do anything about it?

i didnt need a housing, just that for that particular all thermos come with a housing ..period.

but still. 130euro...

ouch

• Advertisement

It was your local motor factors ripping you off
    In future use GSF or ECP

i couldnt wait any longer for a thermo, from now on im ordering on line.....

bah!

cheers kbannon, i knew about them already, just that i needed the part ASAP, they obviously ripped my ba**$ off.

how much do the on line ppl charge for postage and how long does it take them to deliver, deffo ordering from them soon.

also are the angel eyes any good for a e36, i mean, is it a complete unit or just an upgrade.

i would love to add more poke to the 316, if i had money what would be the options to get about 160/180 horses out of it, turbo? and what would it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

GSF charge a tenner and its usually next day if you order in the morning.

Mike.

• Advertisement

angel eyes - see www.e36coupe.com. I think a few occasionally can be seen on www.ebay.co.uk
    performance - you could try things like free flow air filter, chip, exhaust but I don't know if you will get enough to make a difference.
    Anyway (& I think I said it before here) it is not the amount of horses but how you use them that make the best difference. I saw an E30 316i (with LSD) keep up with E30 M3s at a recent track day purely because the driver knew how to hold the car properly.
    As for turbo? Get a micra or something. Apart from the fact that your car is probably too old for it, your BMW was designed with handling in mind, not straightline speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bring the parts back and get a refund, then order from GSF. Have you got a receipt? Silly boy if you haven't! Assuming you have the receipt, go back in and tell them that you sold the car or something and that you're returning the unused parts and can you have your money back.

There's no way that you have to buy a housing to buy a thermostat. It sounds like you were in a panic to get a 'stat immediately and therefore swallowed the BS that the motor factors fed you. Running without a 'stat is inadvisible but it won't hurt for a week or two more. There also shouldn't be a major panic on the water pump, filter or fan belt (BTW are you sure the car actually needs a waterpump)

BrianD3

that particular thermo seems to come with a housing, even on the web sites.........but they still overcharged....

maybe they incurred the next day delivery. scums.!

i think my brother is sticking it on now, its been without a thermo too long. i might have a word with them at a later date, maybe see their manager.

:D

wonder how much otto in cork charge?

as for upgrading the 316i, im sure its possible. numerous places in the states and blighty do high performance upgrades for beemers...e36s or whatnot. sure they cost alot. but still

its a nice solid drive, but its lacking in that oooomph i would like.....hehe

the honda 1.6 vtec (sohc) was way faster, but that was paperweight.

still fuming about that thermo

if anyone can get a thermo without housing,get back to me with details and i will have a word with them.

cheers!

eza

did you look at the websites I suggested?
    GSF in Dublin stock them at UK£8.75 (if M42 engine) or UK£19.50 if M43 for w/o housing.

edit: these prices are UK£ and do not include 17.5% VAT but do include next day delivery

Advertisement