Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary walls: height and construction

Options
  • 11-01-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Had a timber boundary fence blown down in the storms at the weekend. Want to replace it with something more solid.

Have been told I can't go any higher than 6 ft.

Is this true?

Also, apart from a block wall has anyone any suggestions that could work out cheaper. I don't have time to do any of this myself so I'll have to get someone to do the work.

Was thinking of the type with upright concrete posts which have concrete slabs slotted between them. Is this likely to cost more or less than a block wall.

We're talking about 120ft on 1 side alone here. That could be 2 sides by the morning if the forecast holds up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

It all depends on your requirements like ascetics, security, access, long term durability...but you may have your own priorities

I,d say considering all the above your best bet is concrete posts with solid timber infill panels 5ft high with a concrete band at ground level....

total supply and fit in the region of €70 + VAT per metre, other options like solid concrete infills would increae to approx €30 per metre for 6ft high........a block wall then an additional say €40/ metre incl columns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

The 2 metres restriction is partially correct, see
    http://www.meath.ie/planning/GuidetoPlanningPermission/doingwork.htm

You're limited to 1.2 metres to the front of a house (not just to the front of your house :- there are unusual configurations with side gardens adjoining the front of a neighbour's house were this restriction can also apply).

These restrictions only apply to what you can build without planning permission of couse .. you can apply for planning permission for a 30 metre wall if you like (but you won't get it).

You also should check out the plastering requirements in the above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

I assumed that I could pretty much do what I wanted as regards the construction of the fence as long as it was below a certain height. Given my prefered option was a block wall the "having to plaster it" bit will affect the price.

Will have to check with my own council.

Thanks for the feed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

I assumed that I could pretty much do what I wanted as regards the construction of the fence as long as it was below a certain height.

true enough
    Given my prefered option was a block wall the "having to plaster it" bit will affect the price.

i would have assumed 120ft garden would be at the rear.....the link supplied deals with boundry walls etc to the front of a house etc....you will find that only special occasions require plastering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Make sure a higher brick wall is structurally solid anyway. If it doesn't have columns and a good foundation to give it strength, the brick wall could just blow down as well. One of the benefits of plastering the wall (I am assuming, I don't really know for sure) should be that it makes the wall stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

sas wrote:
    Had a timber boundary fence blown down in the storms at the weekend. Want to replace it with something more solid.

Have been told I can't go any higher than 6 ft.

Is this true?

Also, apart from a block wall has anyone any suggestions that could work out cheaper. I don't have time to do any of this myself so I'll have to get someone to do the work.

Was thinking of the type with upright concrete posts which have concrete slabs slotted between them. Is this likely to cost more or less than a block wall.

We're talking about 120ft on 1 side alone here. That could be 2 sides by the morning if the forecast holds up.

Hi
    Planning permission needed if higher than 4 feet at front and 6 feet at rear.
    For wall that long if using block, reinforced foundations is a must and plenty of pillars / piers , the spacing of which depends on whether you build a 4 inch or nine inch wall

t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Had this experience recently.
    2 Meters is the limit for rear walls to be planning exempt, if you want to build higher than this you will need planning permission.

1.2 meters is the limit for front walls before permissions is needed.

You also must build the rear wall with 9 inch blocks, solid 3 or 4 inch on their edge is no longer permitted.

Plastering is a grey area, I'd say a good pointing job on the joints would be sufficent.

Youre only ever likely to run into trouble if you go to sell the property and a surveyor spots any breaches.

Got my quote for the block wall from my regular builder and its too expensive an option. Its not that a builder is trying to rip me off (he's always given us the best price in the past without any haggling), its just that I wasn't aware of how expensive a job like this would be. Also I'm going 50 50 with the neighbour and I'm not sure how he'd be fixed for that amount. Quote was 5500 all in.

I'm going with a panel & post wall (all concrete). The panels and posts I've been quoted 1150 Euro for. We're going to do alot of the grunt work ourselves and then I have a guy who fits these as a nixer lined up. Not sure what he'll cost though.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pthagonal

what panels are you filling it with..

we lost a few wooden panels in the storm.. and they are just plain nackared anyway.. most of the back walls are concrete pillars and concrete beams.. but one section is wooden panels..

i would like to fill the sections with concrete beams as well

how much are the concrete filler beams? (not sure what they are called)

and where would i get them..

regards

Pthagonal

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

The nice thing about using concrete posts with the wooden panels that slot in is you can replace them pretty easily and cheaply. I think the concrete beams are overkill for most back gardens, and are obviously more expensive to and more difficult to replace.

• Advertisement

The concrete 6 ft * 1 ft Panels were priced at

Plain Panel 8.50 + VAT.
    Rock Face 9.00 + VAT.

This crowd are in the Heath, just outside portlaoise.
    Padraig Lewis is his name.

I haven't the number on me but I'll post it tomorrow if you're interested ( and I remember to get it ).

My objection to the timber Panels is having to paint\treat them annually. We're talking about 120 ft on each side here.

Advertisement