Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20th Anniversary PRS Inlay

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Is that what the wife tells ya???

Sorry :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ha ha ha ha, you think I get away with buying guitars cos I'm kind to stray puppies? ;)

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

oh maaaaaaaaan, i want the 350DX so badly!

......the pair of you always breaking my concentration when im in work.... :rolleyes: :)

I don't like the Sharktooth inlays tbh.

We're here to annoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

IMO the Sharktooth inlays are a must for a Jackson or Ibanez - just looks great, like it belongs there.

Can't argue with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mine has them and they get old fast. : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

feylya wrote:
    Yeah, the 1570 (for less than €700 shipped WITH case)

Where! If I could get it for that price it'd be my next guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

i know the topic has changed, but nonetheless: i think it was a good idea to change the style of the PRS inlays, but i think that is fairly crap looking, it's not interesting, and hasn't improved on the original. Although i believe you, what guitars do you guys think are better than or as good as PRS's for the price?

The thing is, for that kind of money you can have a highly skilled luthier make a guitar to your own specs. Your own wood, pickups, electronic configuration, neck, finish, whatever you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nidge wrote:
    i know the topic has changed, but nonetheless: i think it was a good idea to change the style of the PRS inlays, but i think that is fairly crap looking, it's not interesting, and hasn't improved on the original. Although i believe you, what guitars do you guys think are better than or as good as PRS's for the price?

Basically as It Wasn't Me said.
    I'm seeing about getting a guitar built to my very specific specs from the BC Rich custom shop, and it's looking to cost me little over 2 grand. Far less then a production line PRS guitar. Half of what it would cost to get a Custom 24 in Ireland tbh.

For that kinda price there's simply no comparison with getting a decent luthier to build a guitar specifically for you.

Dave wrote:
    Where! If I could get it for that price it'd be my next guitar.

No! Mine!

Nidge wrote:

To www.lgmguitars.com with you good sir!

Are you getting it from here or second hand perchance?

• Advertisement

And Dave gets the spelling monkey :D

Spelling monkey? I want one!

You can have mine, I don't even know what it does.

Well it spells for you, I presume. Either that, or it just howls and flings poo, the name just being ironic.

Ah luthiers i thought as much, in fact i have a guitar being made for me in texas as we speak. I expect it to be more suited to me than a PRS and i won't even get the chance to play it before purchase.

See i thought you guys were gonna mention an actual brand equal to PRS for a quarter of the price.

I was unaware that B.C.Rich made customs, even Fender does, but i expect you have more options when negotiating with an independent luthier.

My friend and I find that there are a number of American guitar shops that sell 2nd hand PRS's online in near mint condition, for in the region of a grand. So if one is so set on having a PRS and not necessarily being the first time owner than that is a great option.

As everyone says PRS are great guitars, and you can get equally good guitars for cheaper, i say, take the cheaper less known option. If you buy from a small luthier the customer services are incredible compared to that of any Major brand, your guitar will be unique and much better suited to you than a mass produced guitar like PRS. People bitch about what you pay for an american strat, but PRS is a prime example of buying because of the label, there is a reward, but not a reward that is worth 4 grand to you.

• Advertisement

My often spoken sentiments exactly.

It's supposed to spell for me!! It just arrived in the door no manual or anything. You've obviously owned one before, as you were bang on about the poo flinging.

Prs's fling poo?

Someone customised one once for poo flinging or something.

Nidge wrote:
    I was unaware that B.C.Rich made customs, even Fender does, but i expect you have more options when negotiating with an independent luthier.

They do indeed!
    And suprisingly, there was no option I asked for that they said they couldn't do. I even enquired about getting a metal truss rod cover with my name engraved on it, and they said they can do it for me. So I've full confidence in them and I can't see any reason why there'd be more options from someone else.

Just have a peek at some of these fine beauties.

Dave wrote:
    Someone customised one once for poo flinging or something.

Intruiging. Tell me more.

Nidge wrote:
    My friend and I find that there are a number of American guitar shops that sell 2nd hand PRS's online in near mint condition, for in the region of a grand. So if one is so set on having a PRS and not necessarily being the first time owner than that is a great option.

Before the Doc gets in with it www.chrisguitars.com is a prime example. You can get custom guitars for half the price that'll be superior but I don't think you'll find a better mass-produced guitar, especially not for the same price.

feylya wrote:
    Intruiging. Tell me more.

I'm not sure of the exact way they did it, but you had to remove the pickups and get special customised poo flinging pickups. Tone suffered as a consequence though. So if it's a sacrafice you're willing to make, i'd say go for it. Before the doc gets in you can get some good second hand poo flinging pickups at chrisguitars.

For anyone thinking of buying a new PRS I would say get an Eggle instead. Just as good, though in my opinion better, and the factory is a half hour Ryanair flight away so you can get whatever custom stuff you want. Plus, they're cheaper. The name doesn't have the inflated rep of PRS but make no mistake they are top, top quality. Win, win, win.

Haha funny you should say that doc, i own an eggle myself, couldn't be happier with it. Beats the ass off any guitar anywhere near it's price range in town. Do you have a Los Angeles plus by any chance?

• Advertisement

No, I have the TI Legend, basically a Vienna (I think, the largest body they have) except none more black ;)

That's interesting, there are a surprising amount of eggles literally floating from owner to second hand owner. I have seen a Berlin Pro, a Los Angeles Plus, my New York Plus and now heard of your vienna. It hasn't a tremolo has it? Have you heard or seen any other models in ireland. I'd love to just walk through their factory/workshop to look at all the guitars they have, they are so good, that is interesting what you say about it's proximity to a ryanair destination.

I visited the factory back in 96 when they were based in Coventry. It's just depressingly amazing. Then they brought us to this room with one of everything, seemingly, and a load of amps and left us to it. Eggle are everything PRS should be.

It was the best of times :D

eggle.jpg

I need to take some better pictures ;)

Last time you got more compliments on the carpet than on the guitar! :p Lovely guitar though. And it has the Iommi fret markers. :)

It is a good carpet :)

Carpet versus guitar? I know I can live without carpet. (Damn tiled floors. What a nice way to get up at six o'clock in the morning) Can't say the same for guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I've played that Eggle and can bench that its a beauty. Tone is amazing. Sweet guitar no doubt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

do Eggle make carpet too?

Can you imagine the tone you'd get from it :o

• Advertisement

Buzzzzzzzzzz!

Mmm, static :p

BUZZZZZZZZZZ! Oh that fuzzy goodness. :)

Christ, a thread about inlays goes off into talking about carpets? Boggle!

how much did you pay for that? Was it second hand?

Second hand carpet??? :p

• Advertisement

It was here when we moved in. It's nice and thick, though it feels a little odd under bare feet, something doesn't quite feel right. Wearing slippers though, it's carpet that can't be beaten, no sir.

Ever thinking of doing some inlays on it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

do carpet companies make fuzz pedals?

I'd say you'd get a nice warm tone from them...

Custom graphic carpets tbh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement