Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on from play money

Options
  • 11-01-2005 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I've been playing for play money on Ladbrooks poker for some time now and generally doing ok.

I'm basically wondering about moving onto real money. Is there a steep learning curve? Is it much different?

And does anyone here regularly make money playing poker online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Forget everything you learned with play money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a big step up, people play very very differently with play money as opposed to real cash.

IMO the best way to learn is to start playing micro-limit limit hold'em, play money won't help you much beyond perhaps getting your pre-flop hand choosing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Best thing to do is to come into the fitz and play freerolls and sit'n'gos for an evening or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ladbrokes don't have microlimits. The lowest they have is 0.15/0.30 which you'd need somewhere between 10$ and 30$ to sit down to give yourself a reasonable chance. Join Gaming Club or VC if you want micro limits 0.01/0.02!! The standard won't be great but it'll still probably be a step up from play money.

Another option is Sit and Go's if you can afford them. Ladbrokes start at 5$ but again VC and GamingClub go lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

My own plan when I started playing online for money (after playing play money for a long time) was to put €10 into Victor Chandler Poker and to play in .10c+1c STT's. €10 will get you about 13 dollars so even if you were to lose every single STT you would still get to play over 100 of them for a tenner.

It is a step up from play money but the .10c tables arent a huge step up in quality at all. A lot of the time the only raising pre flop will be an all in effort. Its pretty easy to pick your spots.

From what I have read here, a lot of the lads play for huge money (well huge money IMO anyway) but we all have to start somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement