Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What horror films/books/whatever did you get for Xmas/in the sales?

Options
  • 11-01-2005 8:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know, it's late and a bit of a crap topic, but....well, feck it. This place is too quiet, the only thread to see movement in a good while is some muppety crap, and I want some ideas of things to buy once I have some money again.

To start the ball rolling...I didn't get any horror-related presents (Despite asking for a bunch of stuff! Bastards...) but I did pick up Bad Taste and Shaun of the dead on DVD for 20 euro in the sales.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

i got "the fog" on vhs for 4 quid,classic film
    ps if anyone sees a copy of "the hills have eyes" in the southeast region post in here folks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

kinkstr wrote:
    ps if anyone sees a copy of "the hills have eyes" in the southeast region post in here folks

I'm sure I've seen that in Vibes & Scribes, although it may have been in the rental section rather than sales (mind you, they do have one area with a wide selection of atrocious-looking horror flicks into which the occasional gem is idly dropped)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I got a fair few horror DVDs from DVDSoon around Halloween (always the best time to get 'em) :p

*Opera
    *Suspiria
    *House on Sorority Row
    *The Evil Dead
    *Ghost Watcher

After Christmas, cos the releases were December 28th, I got:

*Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    *Anacondas

Was gonna get 'The Exorcist: Beginning', but they changed the bloody release date to March 1st 2005 :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TCamen wrote:
    *House on Sorority Row

Although I do in fact own this on a twofer dvd, I have to ask - why (for the love of *GOD*) did you get it, and how much did you pay for it?
    TCamen wrote:
    Was gonna get 'The Exorcist: Beginning', but they changed the bloody release date to March 1st 2005 :mad:

Was that worth watching? Trailer made it look like a heap of dog's knackers to me, so I skipped it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I haven't actually seen The Exorcist: Beginning. I missed it @ the cinema, but I wanted to see it!

As for 'House on Sorority Row', I think it was recommended somewhere on the Amazon Horror DVD section they always put up around Halloween. Got it from DVDSoon for CA$15, which worked out less than €10 *shrug* Haven't watched it yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The Dead Zone for 6 euro in Virgin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Tusky wrote:
    The Dead Zone for 6 euro in Virgin.

Absolutely fantastic film!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Absolutely fantastic film!

Aint watched it yet - got scanners cheap from play as well.

Ah, you're in for a good treat so. The Dead Zone remains probably my favorite David Cronenberg movie, and Christopher Walken is nothing short of amazing.

Got Assault On Precinct 13 and Ginger Snaps Back - The Beggining myself. Great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

For me Cronenberg's best film is Shivers.There is a real sense of helplessness in that apartment block,something I think Lamberto Bava tried and failed to copy in Demon's 2.

As an actor I think he was great in Nightbreed! I don't know if he is a great actor,deadpan and emotionless,or if this is how he really is,I suspect it's how he is in real life.

X

• Advertisement

Nightbreed was a cool film, very under-rated I thought, but yeah, Cronenberg was definetly great in it.

*shudder* When I saw mention of the Dead Zone, I immediately thought of the TV series...pile of crap. I'd always assumed the two were somehow linked, and avoided the film as such. Might take a look now, given that I quite enjoyed the book...

Also picked up another sales bargain this week while in spain on holiday - a box set containing Audition, Dark Water, The Eye and The Grudge (original version). For 30 euro. Only thing is, the subtitles are in Spanish, but what the hell, it's still a damn cheap price for all four of them together... :)

Fysh wrote:
    *shudder* When I saw mention of the Dead Zone, I immediately thought of the TV series...pile of crap. I'd always assumed the two were somehow linked, and avoided the film as such. Might take a look now, given that I quite enjoyed the book...

Oh god, I despised the TV Series, the character of Johnny was absolutely butchered, and the actor playing him was incapable of portraying any emotion. In the book, and film, Johnny was extremely shut-off and isolated, he really went into himself. Christopher Walken captured the character perfectly, I though.

Glad to know you're going to take a look now, because you've been missing out on a magnificent piece of work as it is. :)

Bastard Virgin had sold all their copies by the time I went looking, but I found it for 8 euro in a local second hand type place. Which, well, wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped but was still pretty cheap.

Now, whether it displaces Videodrome as my favourite Cronenberg movie remains to be seen...

...and it has now been watched. A damn good adaptation of the book - it even managed to adhere to the chapter structure fairly faithfully, which I respect - many a lesser director would have chosen to put the Stillson meeting at the beginning and have the whole film driving towards the confrontation, rather than letting it be based around the character.

Interesting things I noticed :

1)The guy who plays sherriff bannerman sounds a hell of a lot like a couple of south park characters. This notion was enhanced by the recent episode of South Park parodying the movie.

2)Martin Sheen's Greg Stillson seems to have been part of the visual inspiration for both the Beast and the far right candidate in Transmetropolitan.

It still didn't quite nudge Videodrome from its throne, though...

Glad to see you enjoyed it!

It's been a long while since I've seen Videodrome, but I just love The Dead Zone altogether, still the best Cronenberg in my eyes.

Advertisement