Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum/maximum distance for extension lead for DSL

• 11-01-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I've tried the Esat 3 month trial & I thought it was excellent, no problems at all using a USB modem connection. I am now about to try EirCON's Broadband Plus, which I've waited over 2 months to get. I now have the modem which is Ethernet, but now it will not connect. EirCON's Tech Support said that the phone extension could be too far from the main phone socket, although it worked fine with Esat using USB. Could someone tell me please what is the minimum/maximum distance for extension lead for DSL can run from the main phone socket before it will not work Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

why did u not sign up with esat?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 morphirr

Lomb that is not the question. I've phoned EirCON's tech support again, they are now saying it is the enternal wiring & I need to be RIPPED OFF by having a technican sent to my home. If the wiring is at fault why did it work PERFECTLY with ESAT? Can anyone enlighten me please..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

just wondering what was wrong with esat thats all? if u were happy why switch?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

morphirr wrote:
    I've tried the Esat 3 month trial & I thought it was excellent, no problems at all using a USB modem connection. I am now about to try EirCON's Broadband Plus, which I've waited over 2 months to get. I now have the modem which is Ethernet, but now it will not connect. EirCON's Tech Support said that the phone extension could be too far from the main phone socket, although it worked fine with Esat using USB. Could someone tell me please what is the minimum/maximum distance for extension lead for DSL can run from the main phone socket before it will not work Thanks for any help

If your previous trial worked then it is hardly likely that it is the internal wiring.

Have you any way of connecting up the system even brefly directly to the modem (without a long cable) so as to see if the modem provided by Eircom is working? If that is not possible could you get your hands on a laptop even so as to try it that way?

I notice that you say that you are using an ethernet connection this time whereas before you used USB - have you confirmed that the ethernet connection is working ok? Can you access the set up on the modem via your ethernet cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

EirCON - What a tool, I hope it never works for you.

Dont sign up for it if you hold that opinion.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply Dub45, I have no way of connecting up the system even briefly to the modem (without a long cable) & no laptop. Ethernet seems to be working it did connect to modem & bring up setup pages, but I'm not sure how to lookup the speed of the NIC on PC (10/100 not sure what speed it is).
    Does the weather effect the DSL, this is a faster package(BB Plus), then the one I had from Esat, would that have anything to do with it (or is it a scam by EirCON to rip the public off in an underhand way again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

"I also hope it never works"

What the hell is you people's problem? Why do you care that he changed to eircom? And saying that you hope it never works for him is moronic, that is such a bad attitude. Mind your own business.

WellyJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CREME

WellyJ wrote:
    "I also hope it never works"

What the hell is you people's problem? Why do you care that he changed to eircom? And saying that you hope it never works for him is moronic, that is such a bad attitude. Mind your own business.

WellyJ

as they say tools of a feather stick together...................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CREME wrote:
    as they say tools of a feather stick together...................

Don't you have something better to do you bloody moron!. It's obvious why he took eircom, HE'S GETTING FREE INTERNET!!! He'll probably dump them when the trial is over and move on to something else. Buddy if you wan't to know your connection speed for the Ethernet it says how fast is is when it connects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I have at least 20m of cable between the main telephone point in my house and my modem. The connection I get is no better or worse because of it. And the fact that it worked with Esat suggests there's nothing wrong with your wiring. Eircom have no idea why it's not working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

morphirr wrote:
    Thanks for reply Dub45, I have no way of connecting up the system even briefly to the modem (without a long cable) & no laptop. Ethernet seems to be working it did connect to modem & bring up setup pages, but I'm not sure how to lookup the speed of the NIC on PC (10/100 not sure what speed it is).
    Does the weather effect the DSL, this is a faster package(BB Plus), then the one I had from Esat, would that have anything to do with it (or is it a scam by EirCON to rip the public off in an underhand way again)

If your ethernet card connected to the modem then you dont have a problem with the ethernet card. Is the modem showing up a signal? when you connect to the setup pages there must be a status option which will show you if the modem is connected and receiving a signal.

have you got your password etc set up correctly?

Yes modem showing up a signal on power light & Lan3 Port is lit but DSl Sync is flashing on/off & the password is correct. It won't connect to EirCON so I can't tell what type of Ethernet card it is. It says in Network Connections it is a 3Com 3C900COMBO-based Ethernet Adapter(Generic), is that a suitable card for BB Plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Why dont you ring eir"con" and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you tried shifting computer and modem down beside the incoming socket to rule out the possibility of an extension lead problem - though I doubt it is unlikely. If it worked before with USb then it must be your modem settings. I had a problem connecting my dlink DSL modem for netsource. Their original notes said that the authentication was PAP. In fact it only worked with chap when I tried messing with the settings.

If you can connect to your dsl modem - does it not have a status or log page that reports problems with the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

When you say it won't connect, can you be a bit more specific? There's two main errors I hear about: no dsl sync light on the Netopia router, or user/pass not accepted. Both of these are quite different, so it'd help to know which you're having trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Does the DSL light continiuously flash on or off or does it come on solid for you after a couple of seconds?

Yes Infini the DSL light continiuously flashes on & off. I used the password Eircom gave me. Tech Support did not say anything about it being incorrect settings, nor did they check them. They said it was an Internal Wiring problem. But I can't see how it's the wiring when it worked fine on the Esat trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

morphirr wrote:
    Yes Infini the DSL light continiuously flashes on & off. I used the password Eircom gave me. Tech Support did not say anything about it being incorrect settings, nor did they check them. They said it was an Internal Wiring problem. But I can't see how it's the wiring when it worked fine on the Esat trial.
    It cant be the wiring if it has worked for another dsl package, they are trying to fob you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭niallb

If you can see the setup pages, it's not your PC.
    If esat's trial worked it's hardly your wiring (just possible though, it is different equipment).

I set up someone's connection a few weeks ago - connected to Terenure exchange.
    At first the username and password wouldn't work.
    Although the DSL sync led came on it took almost three minutes.
    I rang support - ring the one that costs 38¢/minute, it's money well spent.
    If it's an account setup problem, they'll be able to see it straightaway.
    Also, once they realised it wasn't my PC, or my wiring at fault, they rang
    me back at their own expense.
    It turned out that the account had not been set up properly, and was fine an hour later.
    Because it was Terenure exchange, the connection ran at 192b (bytes!)/s
    for a few days as there were problems there over Christmas.

What are you using for username/password ?
    Eircom should not need to give you a password over the phone.
    Username should be your phone number and the password your eircom account number.
    (Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's what I used.)
    If you call, you might get a temporary test account to check authentication with.

Good luck getting it sorted,
    NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

If the DSL sync light is flashing then it's either the DSL filter, the internal wiring in the house, or a problem at the exchange (or maybe the Netopia, although doubtful).

You've already ruled out the internal wiring, seeing as it worked fine with another provider.

Have you tested the connection without using the filter/splitter? Those things seem to break really easily, so it's worth ruling it out at the very least.

Failing the above, the problem is likely on the exchange, which means Eircon will have to send an engineer out to the exchange to check the setup. You should call the tech support line again and get whatever tech you speak to to get this done. Since you're on the Home Plus package you can call the cheap line as well (1890 260 260).

Although it's pretty irrelevant at the moment since you don't even have sync, the Eircon passwords have all gone generic on the newer sign-ups to DSL due to a new authentication system that has been installed on the network. Technically you can use anything you want (I think!) and the Netopias are pre-configured to use eircom/broadband1. All other customers will be gradually moved over the new authentication system over the next while.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies. I had given up & packed it away ready to send back when i thought it could be the filter so I set it up without the filter & sync light came on so i rang tech suport & they said they would send out a new filter. So then i tried it with the filter again & it worked so i don't know what the problem was. But it is finally working. thanks again all
    I've an issue with sending a file on IRC anyone know how to forward ports on Netopia?

Here is a great site about portforwarding http://portforward.com/default.htm lists lots of tutorials for different routers

Advertisement