Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Western Road Bus Lane

• 11-01-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭

Anyone from Cork notice the bus lane they painted on the Western Road a few months ago?

Why did the put it in the Inbound direction (where I have never seen serious traffic congestion), while there are tail backs on the oubound almost every evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

sounds typical! has it anything to do with the new green route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yep it's part of the Nr8 Green route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Not much room on Western Road for bus lanes both sides - definite candidate for tidal lanes (lanes inbound am switch to outbound pm) or time specific bus lanes (open to traffic offpeak).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

embraer170 wrote:
    Anyone from Cork notice the bus lane they painted on the Western Road a few months ago?

Why did the put it in the Inbound direction (where I have never seen serious traffic congestion), while there are tail backs on the oubound almost every evening.

There has always been a bus lane on the Western Road inbound from the greyhound stadium to UCC for as long as I can remember.

Not much room on Western Road for bus lanes both sides -

Of course but I think they should reconfigure to road to create an Outbound bus lane instead of an inbound one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

embraer170 wrote:
    Of course but I think they should reconfigure to road to create an Outbound bus lane instead of an inbound one.
    Or put a bus gate on the Mardyke and allow inbound busses use it and put an outbound lane on Western Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Victor wrote:
    Or put a bus gate on the Mardyke and allow inbound busses use it and put an outbound lane on Western Road.

That would be to easy Victor! Plus the good residents of the Mardyke would prob protest as well!

Not sure I like the Mardyke idea given the lost time just turning into it. Furthermore, it would make UCC a little bit more inconvenient (10-12 minutes to the Quad, not ideal in poor weather)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

embraer170 wrote:
    Not sure I like the Mardyke idea given the lost time just turning into it. Furthermore, it would make UCC a little bit more inconvenient (10-12 minutes to the Quad, not ideal in poor weather)
    It would only be maybe 100m more in the morning (or all day, whichever is chosen) inbound only for the students, whereas all bus passengers would gain. More distance for a few, less journey time for all.

It's a fair bit more than 100m, also of course depends where exactly the bus stop is placed. Furthermore, by the time the bus has taken a left (in front of Victoria mills, a rather congested junction) and a right on to the mardyke (having to install another set of traffic lights?), I really don't see any significant time saving.

That's going into a rather complicated fix for what is a small issue. Redo the road marking to create an outbound instead of an inbound bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I imagine UCC students are heavy users of any buses on that route, especially as college expands...

Advertisement