Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 quick Wireless questions...

• 11-01-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Recieved my Wireless Router from Eircom in the post today. Set it up straight away.

I'm connected on my laptop right now far away from any phone line.. .. so it's obviously working!

But when i enabled the Wireless Connection and clicked 'View Available Networks' - i got network '7607 3655' which has 'Unsecured wireless network' beneath it.

Also, when i click 'Change the order of preferred networks' when viewing available networks. It gives me an option for 'Eircom' along with the network i'm currently connected to. However, the connection for 'Eircom' is obviously out of range (aerial with the red 'x').

My 2 questions are:

1. Am i connecting to the right network.. should i be using this Eircom one that's out of range, or am i correct to be using this network '7607 3655'?
    2. How do i secure this network, as it says 'Unsecured wireless network' beneath it?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Also posted this in 'Wireless' forum but i thought i might have more success here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

2 networks showing up? Sounds to me like a neighbor or something has a wireless network too and that you're connecting through theres :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ciaranfo wrote:
    2 networks showing up? Sounds to me like a neighbor or something has a wireless network too and that you're connecting through theres :D
    Sh*t.. that what i assumed!

Didn't ever think any of my neighbours had the Internet.. never mind an actual wireless connection.

What's the typical range of an 802.11b router?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Why Sh*t, you could just cancel your connection and just use your neighbours.

Only Kidding. No but seriously though, all you need to do is encrypt your wireless connection. In the manual you got with the router, it should tell you how to get in to the config menu and turn on encryption.

Leonard wrote:
    Why Sh*t, you could just cancel your connection and just use your neighbours.

Only Kidding. No but seriously though, all you need to do is encrypt your wireless connection. In the manual you got with the router, it should tell you how to get in to the config menu and turn on encryption.
    The thought had crossed my mind... but with the amount i use the Net.. i'm sure they'd certainly notice the cap being exceeded!

Thanks Leonard. Will give it a go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

basquille wrote:
    What's the typical range of an 802.11b router?
    100-200 meters in open air. Obviously a lot less with walls involved.

• Advertisement

That's loads!

My room's (where my Laptop is mainly situated) is basically above the other computer with the Wireless Router attached via Ethernet.

Am having problems with it though! That '7607 3655' network is the only one showing as available. Even though the 'Wireless LAN' LED is lit up on the Router downstairs and i've the wireless connection enabled upstairs.

Any theories / suggestions on how to fix this? Also, is there anyway to find out who this other network i'm connected to belongs to.. just so i can tell whoever it is (if it's a neighbour) that their network is unsecured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you connect to your wireless router via an ethernet cable?
    If so you can then connect to the configuration utility, normally through a browser.
    Set the SSID to something unique. Maybe SSID broadcast needs to be turned on (and switched off when you've connected to it wirelessly). After successful wireless connection you can turn on encryption and limit access by MAC address.

daymobrew wrote:
    Can you connect to your wireless router via an ethernet cable?
    If so you can then connect to the configuration utility, normally through a browser.
    Set the SSID to something unique. Maybe SSID broadcast needs to be turned on (and switched off when you've connected to it wirelessly). After successful wireless connection you can turn on encryption and limit access by MAC address.
    Yeah, can connect via an Ethernet cable.

How do i connect to the configuration utility? Can't see anything about it in the manual? The manual is terrible though!

Figured out how to connect to the configuration utility (http://192.168.1.254)

And my Wireless settings are:

Enable Wireless: (ticked)
    SSID (Network ID): 7607 3655 (does this mean i am on the right network then?)
    Privacy: OFF (No privacy)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

basquille wrote:
    Figured out how to connect to the configuration utility (http://192.168.1.254)

And my Wireless settings are:

Enable Wireless: (ticked)
    SSID (Network ID): 7607 3655 (does this mean i am on the right network then?)
    Privacy: OFF (No privacy)

Your own network name is 7607 3655 so you can change this to anything you want (if you want:) but at least you now know its yours.

After that there are two precautions to take. Make sure the signal between the laptop is encrypted there are two main ways for this to be done WEP and WAP - WAP is better. It is usually very easy to do and your handbook should tell you how to do it. The wireless card in your laptop may need an update for WAP check your manufacturer's site.

The wireless card in your laptop has a unique id number called the mac. You can restrict access to your network to this mac number alone - it is usually pretty easy and again your router handbook should tell you how to do it.

What make is the router?

• Advertisement

It's a Netopia Cayman 3341.

I encrypted with WEP but will look up now on WAP, as a matter of interest. And changed my network name to something a little bit more familiar... just to make sure this was my network. And it was (as it changed when i disconnected and reconnected wireless!)

Mine has the option of WEP or WPA (i assume this is what you meant)

Looked up online and it does seem to be the consensus that WPA is a stronger encryption scheme.

But the fact that no encryption key is involved - just a Pre Shared Key - makes me a bit apprehensive.

The WPA key is much simpler though the wep thing generates a long long key its a pain. Did you look at restricting access via the mac address?

dub45 wrote:
    The WPA key is much simpler though the wep thing generates a long long key its a pain. Did you look at restricting access via the mac address?
    Nope, couldn't find any options for that.

basquille wrote:
    It's a Netopia Cayman 3341.

Is the 3341 not just the modem?

Is the 3341 not just the modem?

Apologies.. you're right!

It's actually the 3347W that i have.

Advertisement