Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think I've been stung by a cowboy on Ebay....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A buyer does not need a credit card to buy on ebay

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/basic-registration.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

A buyer does not need a credit card to buy on ebay

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/basic-registration.html

Note: If you register with an "anonymous" email address, such as Yahoo or Hotmail, you'll need to place a valid credit card number on file to verify your identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

you can register a iol.ie address easily and this allows bidding. its all a crock really. how is an iol address verification of anything?

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:

Only in that situation, I have got all the email permutations for my ADSL address. I could create thousands of ebay accounts if I so wished.

ebay do seem to be doing something got his mail from them
    Dear ....................:

Our records indicate that you recently interacted with snamaroff through the eBay
    email system.

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside
    of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in an attempt to discover your email
    address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations
    pose and encourage you to ignore the email you received from this member. Sales that
    take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective
    services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete
    these transactions.

We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the
    address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that future
    transactions are completed successfully:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-fraud-ov.html

If you have already sent the item or sent payment for the item, please reply to this
    email and we will send you additional information about how to protect yourself.

Regards,
    Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

though it could be a cynical attempt to gain income from on ebay sales ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

no it's genuine.. we also send out something similar when we end an auction, we send an email to all bidders to say that it has been ended early and we recommend not to carry on with the transactions if they are approached to do so..

dive bomb can you close this ebay account hes selling APPLE POWER MAC G5 DUAL 2.0GHZ W/ DVD-R /CD-RW Item number: 5159457812 under the same name fran genos or something. hes the guy i got the dodgy escrow email from. ive tried to post bids on many many fake items. looks like they are getting desperate now as this auction is restricted to 'pre approved bidders only'
    ROFL
    I notice alot of the fake stuff is under apple macs and apple laptops. mayb they think apple customers are stupider than pc customers ROFL :D:D:D:D

also can you report http://www.expert-business-support.com/ to the appropriate authorities and have it shut down. :)
    it actually says ebay recommends it on the front page :D:D:D:D:D

just got this email from fran aka c graham i think hes pissed that im screwing up his auctions. hes tagged my ip from details i sent to his dodgy escrow

>
    Hi c graham, im sending all your emails to ebay who will be passing the information to the police. my ip is bull**** as its a dynamic ip. which means it changes every few days. so do ur worst u piece of ****. i cant see how you are going to hack my computer through 3 firewalls and all the patches. i wasnt born yesterday man. i see your fancy site logs my ip well it wont be around for long as i know someone in ebay who will shut it very soon probably in 1 or 2 days i would say. so take care scumbag, sue

Hi Sue,

>
    >Whats up?
    >Any way man.. You see this number ............... .This
    >is your IP number.Do you know what is a ip number? or
    >this ........................dsl.esat.net .its the same.
    >No read this you ****! If you don't want me to put a
    >ton of fraud costumers on your ip`s ass and play a
    >little game of police and seak just **** off and let
    >me be!
    >Also i have some big black friends in Dublin.
    >thank You!
    >
    >
    >
    >__________________________________
    >Do you Yahoo!?
    >Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.
    >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Did you hear about the two Nigerian lads who came to Dublin a few months ago, they had pretty much no money and walked into a bar they found after getting off the Dart and said to the bartender "Hey listen, we have a propositon for you, you pay us protection money and we will keep your bar safe from Robberies & burning down etc..." The bartender kept his cool and said "Sure, that sounds great but could you come back at closing time, the owner will be here" of course the lads returned but hadnt done there homework, this was one of the remaining IRA bars in dublin. They Returned to the bar and were not seen until the next morning when they were found in a skip by the canal both with broken legs and arms. They were left in hospital for a week then deported. Im not a racist person, but in my experience, you just cant trust a Nigerian, very simialar to travellers, just dont do business with them.

Allthough this was an ebay anon buy, I just thought this relevant.

Im not a racist person, but.......

Works every time eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

joejoem wrote:
    *snip*

You do know that story is total BS. Typical snopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Nigerians are the biggest scammers of them all.
    It's not racist, it's a fact.
    They started the original scam (419 I think it was) and have continued to try all sorts of different scams to fleece people. The sorry thing is that when people fall for the "I've got 25 million dollars for you but I need 5k to bribe the official to let me transfer it out of the country to you", it just encourages the rest of them to try the same thing.
    Friend works in Social Welfare and they (SW) think a lot (BUT NOT ALL)
    of Nigerians who arrive over here with NO papers are crooks, drug dealers, scammers, swindlers etc who then try to set up fake/crooked business here
    and fleece people from Ireland.

PADDYPOKER wrote:
    [race] are the biggest [racial stereotype]of them all.
    They started the [Something that they are famous for] and have continued to [racial stereotype1]. The sorry thing is that [racial sterotype], it just encourages the rest of them to try the same thing.
    of [Race] who arrive over here with NO papers are [slur] etc who then try to [racial slur] and [something bad] people from Ireland.

It's mad libs racist game! See if you can win!

Race = Irish.
    racial stereotype = wife beating drunks.
    racial stereotype2 = beat their wives senseless in a drunken rage.
    slur = shower of drunken bastards
    racial slur = try to mate with their children
    something bad = puke all over

PADDYPOKER wrote:
    Nigerians are the biggest scammers of them all.
    They started the original scam (419 I think it was) and have continued to try all sorts of different scams to fleece people. The sorry thing is that when people fall for the "I've got 25 million dollars for you but I need 5k to bribe the official to let me transfer it out of the country to you", it just encourages the rest of them to try the same thing.
    of Nigerians who arrive over here with NO papers are crooks, drug dealers, scammers, swindlers etc who then try to set up fake/crooked business here
    and fleece people from Ireland.

i would agree with this. i know a guy who lets flats out (owns alot of them) he says immigrants he sees are -eastern europens are hard working usually manual trades like plumbers etc he says keep to themselves but pleasent, indians and asians- hard working dont want to spend anything though but very nice, africans- the most ignorrant people, scammers, swindlers and generally very very unpleasant. this is not racism but facts.

i was in a cop shop a few months ago and this nigerian woman was shouting abuse at the copper. Fu£k u, and Fu£k this and that absolutely roaring. if i did that id be locked up. but he never said a word to her and she walked out after roaring at him for 5 minutes with 3 people looking on. the reason he did nothing was she would have claimed racism if anything was done. although i have met some africans and they were nice generally i have little time for nigerians and muslims (both races being primative in comparison to other ie no real religion and beliefs , this is why the catholics went to africa to cathoilse them and were very successful, as far as muslims go it is a very backward race altogther most were and are shepards, dont believe in democracy and practice traditions no one would believe-like marry sisters etc. this is not racist just a fact. hopefully the new era will change these people for the better although if the yanks are anything to go by god help us.............

Congrats on showing how much of a moron you are.

Muslim != race.

would you do business with a nigerian hobbes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Hobbes wrote:
    Congrats on showing how much of a moron you are.

Muslim != race.

yeah they're all from Islamabad .....badum tish!!!!

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    point noted seamus, but as far as i'm aware anything i've said is not private and is basically available on the eBay site

Except that your attitude is doing about as much for Ebay public relations as Hitler did for securing world peace.
    Like Seamus said though work away, doesn't the Ebay employment contract mention something about not disclosing who you work for online?

lomb wrote:
    would you do business with a nigerian hobbes?

We have Nigerians working in my place. No problem at all with them. A good sight smarter then a few people I've met.

As I said people are just taking a racial stereotype and running with it? Are there Nigerian scammers, of course. Does that mean all Nigerians are scammers? No it doesn't.

Now if you are asking if I will do business with the Generals Mututus widow, then the answer is probably no. :p
    yeah they're all from Islamabad .....badum tish!!!!

lol :) The sad thing is though some people will believe you.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    We have Nigerians working in my place. No problem at all with them. A good sight smarter then a few people I've met.

As I said people are just taking a racial stereotype and running with it? Are there Nigerian scammers, of course. Does that mean all Nigerians are scammers? No it doesn't.

Isn't it funny how no one ever talks about the Nigerians who are fluent in six or seven languages, which is a considerable proportion of the ones that I have known, but then people would just claim that's so that they can scam internationally or something :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Isn't it funny how no one ever talks about the Nigerians who are fluent in six or seven languages, which is a considerable proportion of the ones that I have known, but then people would just claim that's so that they can scam internationally or something :rolleyes:

That would involve actually talking to people to find out what they're like - a complete waste of time when you have your colour-by-numbers reference book.

nothing to do with skin colour, i just dont trust anyone thats the product of a corrupt country and has corrupt traditions (ie even an irishman)
    most of the cars on nigerias roads are stolen in europe. they put a chopper in the air with a tracker tracker( the yokes that are fitted to expensive cars) over the capital, in a 15 minute flight it picked up 15 seperate stolen cars.

Advertisement