Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call Yourself A Referee!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

14 out of 20 too, I guessed a lot of them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

13 out of 20, pretty tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

16 :)

but I know much about history of the game and thus know a lot of the laws from knowing when they were brought in :)

I particuarly like the penalty kick one, most people won't know the anwser.

---

Correct Anwsers!!! Don't read :)

1. A player uses offensive language towards the referee. What decision does the referee take ?

send the player off and restart the game with an indirect free kick

2. A player accidentally handles the ball. What action does the referee take ?

no action because it was accidental

3. The minimum length of the field is:

90 metres

4. In veteran's football (over 35 years) the Laws of the Game allow modification of:

the number of substitutions

5. A player who has been replaced by a substitute:

may take no further part in the game

6. Players have a right to an interval at half time:

at all times

7. A referee cautions a player who then apologises for his misconduct. The referee:

must report the caution

8. The yellow card:

is only used in cautioning players and substitutes

9. The international F.A. board, which is responsible for the Laws of the Game, was founded in:

10. If a goalkeeper wears a jersey which is the same colour as the referee:

the goakeeper must change
    [thanks, I dont know why I got that wrong here, I got it right in the game :)]

11. An attacker is tripped on the penalty area line. How is the game restarted?

penalty kick

12. A player jumps up in front of an opponent who is taking a throw-in. The referee:

cautions him for unsporting behaviour

13. When a penalty kick is being taken the kicker back heels the ball to a team-mate who hits the ball into goal. What action does the referee take?

orders the kick to be retaken because the ball was not kicked forward

14. A player takes a throw-in 10 metres nearer his own goal from the point where the ball went out of play. The referee:

awards the throw-in to the other team

15. An assistant referee signals that a player who scored a goal was in an offside position. The referee who is in a good position does not agree with his assistant. The referee:

awards a goal

16. A player shoots for goal and the ball is going past the post for a goal kick when it strikes the referee and goes into the net. What decision would be given?

a goal

17. During the match the ball strikes a spectator who has run on to the field of play and then passes directly into the goal. The referee:

stops play and restarts with a dropped ball

18. When do the powers and duties of the referee begin?

as soon as he enters the field of play

19. Can a referee change his decision?

yes, providing the game has not restarted

20. Can an assistant referee make a decision?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

17 :)

Guessed a few, wonder which ones I got wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I got the penalty one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

a rotton 9. which is why i rarely give out about referees.

EXCEPT WHEN SPURS ARENT AWARDED A GOAL AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

18, but both my bro's are well qualified ref's so I shoudl know the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

13 out of 20!

better than i expected to be honest because a lot of the questions i really was nowhere near sure of so guessed a lot really!

PHB - No 10 is "the goalkeeper must change" (don't need spoiler tags as I'm sure people will do the quiz before reading the thread).

I got 8, 9, 12, 13, 15 and 18 wrong. I feel hard done by on 2 of them.

12: I've seen plenty of players standing in front of the throw-in taker and it was OK, Millwall v Liverpool it happened a few times.
    18: He has more to do than what he does on the field of play so I would have said as soon as he enters the ground. He can use his powers and certainly has duties before he steps on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

eirebhoy wrote:
    12: I've seen plenty of players standing in front of the throw-in taker and it was OK, Millwall v Liverpool it happened a few times.

Standing in front of a throw-in taker, and jumping in front of him are two different things though. Jumping is illegal.

mr_angry wrote:
    Standing in front of a throw-in taker, and jumping in front of him are two different things though. Jumping is illegal.
    ah, didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

13 out of 20!

Very good quiz, excellent find dude :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It said I only got 14 but when I went through the answers I could only see 5 that I got wrong!! AHH REFEREEEEE!!!!!

Just a query about Q.13. Does that mean that a player taking a penalty kick doesn't have to aim at the goal, he only has to hit the ball forward? Would that mean that he could conceivably just lay the ball off for one of his team mates as long as the ball went forward?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just a query about Q.13. Does that mean that a player taking a penalty kick doesn't have to aim at the goal, he only has to hit the ball forward? Would that mean that he could conceivably just lay the ball off for one of his team mates as long as the ball went forward?
    B.
    The rule is:

The kick must go forward & once "in play" (i.e., once the ball moves) any player other than the kicker may then touch the ball.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Would that mean that he could conceivably just lay the ball off for one of his team mates as long as the ball went forward?
    Very good question.

edit: Thanks for clearing that up Irish1. I wonder why it has never been done though, surely nobody would be expecting it except for the team involved and the keeper would be on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got 14, and I am a qualified Ref :eek: :eek:

A few of the answers are dodgy though. As far as my training went, the ref is in charge of the whole ground as soon as he arrives there.
    BaZmO* wrote:

That is the correct assumption BaZmO*, and I think Holland did it in a World Cup / Euro Championship in the 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Holland definitely did that (or at least some Dutch team involving johann cruyff, who was defo involved).

I think Neeskens took the peno and played it forward and out to the right where Cruyff had made a perfectly timed run. Cruyff then played it back to Neeskens taking the keeper out of play and Neeskens tapped in to the empty net.

I got 16. How do you figure out which ones you got wrong?

I got 16. How do you figure out which ones you got wrong?
    pres ctrl+a and go up to PHB's last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I got a miserly 12

The pass mark must be about 7 out of 20 going by some of the incompetent referees here in Scotland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Well done lads although i wasnt expecting anybody to get 20/20 but not bad....... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I got 19 but I am a ref. Individual associations can also make up their own rules btw. So the number of subs etc can be changed if necessary. A good example of this is the 10 yards for dissent which is used in the english game but not in the FIFA guides, another is the shirt over the head rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

so if a punuch up happens in the tunnel before kick off none of the players involved can be sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Holland definitely did that (or at least some Dutch team involving johann cruyff, who was defo involved).

I have a video of it being done by Ajax in a match. Not sure when it was but from the kits I would say mid to late 80's. It's a recording of a sporting bloopers show called "Best of the Worst". It was on BBC3 around a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

PHB wrote:
    16 :)

11. An attacker is tripped on the penalty area line. How is the game restarted?

penalty kick

14. A player takes a throw-in 10 metres nearer his own goal from the point where the ball went out of play. The referee:

awards the throw-in to the other team

18. When do the powers and duties of the referee begin?

as soon as he enters the field of play

I have a problem with these ones.

Number 11: For a goal to be a goal the whole ball must cross the line. Would it not make sence that the player must be across the line for it to be a penalty?

Number 14: I have seen refs let them take it again many many times for this offence. I thought it only went to the other team if you made a foul throw.

Number 18: Does that mean you can call the ref a bollocks in the tunnel and he can't do anything?

Number 18: Does that mean you can call the ref a bollocks in the tunnel and he can't do anything?
    I agree, the answer to that is wrong IMO.

Advertisement