Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do you advertise your car when selling?

Options
  • 12-01-2005 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where the best place to advertise my car which is for sale. Autotrader? Buy and sell? Local advertising? Sign on back window of the car?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends what it is and how quickly you want to sell it. If it is a premium motor and less than three years old then the Irish Times, if it is an old Golf then Buy and Sell and if it is a six year old Primera, Auto Trader. A sign on the car is always worth a try but it attracts all sorts of tyre-kickers (me). Don't waste your time putting up cards in supermarkets unless it is an 88 Fiesta...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

As per my add on the motors for sale board it's a `00 Audi A4 Tdi. Would (obviously) like to sell quickly but not unless I get a good price.

BTW I'm in Galway. Would that rule out the Irish times (are the adds more Dublin based)?

You are selling a popular car at a time of year when lots of people are changing - have you put an ad in the Galway Advertiser? The Times is more inclined to attract 'East Coast' buyers but its still worth a shot and the Buy and Sell is free so well worth trying.

You could put it on the Ballybrit roundabout with a HUGE sign on it...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

You are selling a popular car at a time of year when lots of people are changing - have you put an ad in the Galway Advertiser? The Times is more inclined to attract 'East Coast' buyers but its still worth a shot and the Buy and Sell is free so well worth trying.

You could put it on the Ballybrit roundabout with a HUGE sign on it...

'c

Apart from boards I havn't advertised yet. Just weighing up the options. I suppose the first place to start (in Galway) is the Galway Advertiser. A sign on the back of the car never does any harm either. Is the autotrader a waste of time?

daveg wrote:
    Is the autotrader a waste of time?
    Yip.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

would also add - have patience - I had to sell an 02 Avensis last year fairly quick as needed the money, ended up doing a downtrade in a garage because of no interest after 4 weeks from the buy and sell (and had it in very cheap!) - of course 3 days after sold it got a ton of calls which continued for ages!

I Also put it in on an internet site www.nicemove.ie that was free and got a few calls from that - you can upload a pic as well. If its in the buy and sell be prepared for loads of calls from the Car buyers guide and autotrader trying to get you to take out more ad's. Personally I wouldnt bother, you will sell it from the buy and sell eventually, especially as thats a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Defenitley throw it in the buy and sell, after all it's free.
    Put in a now canvassers clause at the end so no calls from autotrader or CBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've always thought the sign on the back window reeked of desperation and I usually associate them with badly bodykitted skips where the owner, sporting a burbery baseball cap of course, can't understand why nobody is prepared to fork out the price of an equivalent, unmodified car, plus the cost of the bodykit, for his piece of junk.

alias no.9 wrote:
    I've always thought the sign on the back window reeked of desperation and I usually associate them with badly bodykitted skips where the owner, sporting a burbery baseball cap of course, can't understand why nobody is prepared to fork out the price of an equivalent, unmodified car, plus the cost of the bodykit, for his piece of junk.
    This is often true, especially in Tyrrellspass however 'down the country' it is common to see all kinds of cars on the side of the road with For Sale signs. I pass a house every morning and he seems to trade mostly three year old Merc and Lexus cars from outside his house. He even has a fancy printed sign and all.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This is often true, especially in Tyrrellspass however 'down the country' it is common to see all kinds of cars on the side of the road with For Sale signs. I pass a house every morning and he seems to trade mostly three year old Merc and Lexus cars from outside his house. He even has a fancy printed sign and all.

'c

Not the same thing. I'm talking about the ones that are still used as daily transport with the forsale sticker and mobile number on the side. Ones that are parked up at the side of the road have obviously been replaced by something better or are surplus to requirements. The other ones stink of "sunk too much money into this skip, now I need to recoup it".

• Advertisement
Advertisement