Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Ugly Ones

Options
  • 12-01-2005 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Two ugly hands from last night, once I got lucky once I didnt.

This is the 5 10nl game on VC. Ive been taking shots at this each time it gets shorthanded, I dont have much interest in playing full ring holdem at the moment. Anyway its four handed & I have bought in for 750, villain in this piece has 600. Game is very very tight with nobody making any moves.

I get 9Js utg, and make it 40 to go. Standard opening is between 30 and 50. The button calls and eveyone else folds.

$95 in the pot and Flop is 678 rainbow.

I bet $70 and the button raises to 170$. I think for a while and put him all in.

Any comments?

Spoiler

He called with 10 10 which was a disaster for me, since he had 2 of my outs. Anyway turn was a Jack so I took down the 1200$ pot.

Second hand, this is Omaha $1 $2 pot limit. Quite a good game but no big whales, Whole table limps and I make it 10$ with AJ103ds from the small blind. I raise here because Ive dont raise out of position much, and I need to disguise the times Im raising with AAxx. Flop is KJ3 with two hearts, so I have nut flush draw, second two pair and gutshot straight draw. I check, one small stack goes all in for about 60$, another guy calls, and then the button raises $100 leaving himself with another $100 behind. I checkraise all in and he calls. 4 People all in with a pot of over $600. Turn is a beautiful heart and I get up and do a little dance. Then the hand ends and the chips slide the wrong way, wtf! Turns out the button had Q10 of hearts for Royal Flush draw, allthough I had the A of hearts so he only had the one heart to draw to. I play for a little while after that but my heart wasnt in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I bet $70 and the button raises to 170$. I think for a while and put him all in.

How much did you put him all in for ? It probably wasn't a great call by him with top pair and a gutshot. What exactly did he put you on ? Now he could have been pot committed but I would have been very afraid with that flop. Mind you , you got lucky in the end.

Unlucky in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I know you don't like proper spoilers but putting text in white defeats the purpose as some people use non-white backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Imposter wrote:
    I know you don't like proper spoilers but putting text in white defeats the purpose as some people use non-white backgrounds.

Whoops, I dont mind having the results as a spoiler, I just guessed that was the way everyone did it.

careca wrote:
    How much did you put him all in for ? It probably wasn't a great call by him with top pair and a gutshot. What exactly did he put you on ? Now he could have been pot committed but I would have been very afraid with that flop. Mind you , you got lucky in the end.

Unlucky in the second.

It was about another $400. I pretty much predicted exactly what he had, 10 10 or JJ allthough there was a small chance he would have something like 109 (top pair and open ended st8 draw) or a set. I thought $400 was enough to convince him that I didnt have AK and that his overpair was beaten, obv not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

I can't think of a hand that the villain could call with here and not be miles ahead. Your OESD will fill about 30% of the time...Did you think your all in was enuff to force him to lay down 10 10?????
    I know I would have folded TT like a shot.

Nice Pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Whoops, I dont mind having the results as a spoiler, I just guessed that was the way everyone did it.
    You need to use [ spoiler ]text[ /spoiler ] tags. (Without the spaces)

I can't think of a hand that the villain could call with here and not be miles ahead. Your OESD will fill about 30% of the time...Did you think your all in was enuff to force him to lay down 10 10?????
    I know I would have folded TT like a shot.

Nice Pot

Its a semi bluff. The thinking is like this, Preflop raiser autobets on flop. Somebody who has any piece of flop or crappy overpair raises to take down pot. I say, no I really do have AA KK, and even if you think Im bluffing its going to cost your entire stack to find out.

There were other considerations as well, I havent played much at these stakes and wanted to show I wasnt going to be pushed around. A lot of players move up to that level and play so tight that they cant win unless they flop quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I get 9Js utg, and make it 40 to go. Standard opening is between 30 and 50. The button calls and eveyone else folds.

$95 in the pot and Flop is 678 rainbow.

On the flop his raise was not much more than a min raise. This would have been signalling a made straight or flopped trips to me.

I understand when you say that preflop raiser autobets on the flop, but his raise would have slowed me way down.

Good call by him for all his chips.

lafortezza wrote:
    On the flop his raise was not much more than a min raise. This would have been signalling a made straight or flopped trips to me.

I understand when you say that preflop raiser autobets on the flop, but his raise would have slowed me way down.

Good call by him for all his chips.

Good point about the min raise, but a min bet is usually a very strong hand from a weak player, or a very strong hand from a good player out of position. I think in this case it was the biggest bet he could make without pot committing himself.

I think there is almost 0 chance of him having a straight here, he was playing too tight preflop. And if he did have the straight he would be mad to reopen the betting in position, the most likely hand for me to have is A high at this point and a raise lets me away very cheaply. If he has a straight he calls and hopes for a A to turn, remember this is a rainbow flop and Ive raised utg. I think a set will call here at least half thie time, so its possible but its far more likely for him to have an overpair, or a bluff with AQ or something.

Edit: When I say call I mean call my orginal bet rather than raising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im going all the way with TT if the flop is 789

oops Ill let it go withe 678 though

• Advertisement
Advertisement