Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Remote on Xbox

Options
  • 12-01-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Not too sure if this should be posted here or in Games anyhoo....

I have ordered a Sunwave SRC 3000 universal remote control for my Home entertainment system. Its a learning remote.
    I was wondering how i could get it to operate my xbox without have to buy the xbox dvd remote?

Has anybody done this?

Cheers
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

having it in games would have meant a quicker reply :)

anyhow - you can program the remote to work but the problem is that you still need the dongle that plugs into the xbox - it contains the dvd software and the infra red reciever

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Cheers Elmer,

crap, i thought the xbox already had the ir reciever on it.

so there's no way around buying the xbox remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

chip it with a mod chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

and how exactly would chipping it help ?!? You could try ebay see if anyone is selling the reciever on its own. If you can get one i have a new ps2 with build in ir reciever and my universal remote picked the right setup from a code search.

the chipping would mean that you don't need the remote to play dvds - you can then use the controller and a xbox app called dvdx

buying the reciever on ebay sounds like a plan - one thing to note though is that you'll need to buy a region 2 reciever if you plan on watching region 2 dvds - and the first reciever you put into the xbox will set the region so you can't swap between 2 regions - unless it's modded

codes probably aren't too hard to get - i'm sure you'll be able to get a loan of a remote if needs be

Nige

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but i think his main question is in relation to the remote hes bought not just bout playing dvd's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Agreed, you still need the dongle to get IR to the box in the first place.
    The xbox 1.0 plays dvd's without a dongle but still wont run a remote unless you have the IR port.
    I was thinking the same myself about a universal remote but at the time there were no codes or software about so might investigate it again, in reality the remote is only nice feature if you have a dvd player although I do use it for divx playback as my dvd player wont do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

maybe slightly off topic but i was wondering is it possible to use the remote dongle and remote in a pc by hooking it up to the IR header on the mobo.
    i'd check xbox scene but their search facility doesn't seem to be working right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for all the replies lads.
    Basically, I AM chipping the xbox. Got my Xecuter today. So I want the remote to control XBMC and the DVD Drive.
    I thought i could get the XBox remote code for my new universal remote, but since the xbox dosent have the ir reciever built in then I will have to buy the remote to get the reciever anyway.
    Had a look on ebay, cant find any ir reciever without the remote. There's a few good deals on the remote kit with an extra controller and ext. lead so I might just go with one of those.

well the xbox controller port is just a usb port with a big cover on it, you could get a converter (ive one for ps2 to pc so assume you can get xbox) and plug it in, the pc might pick it up as a generic ir device but without software you wont be able to do much with it so if there is nothing on xbox scene your probably not going to find anything anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Kristok wrote:
    Fair enough, but i think his main question is in relation to the remote hes bought not just bout playing dvd's.

well a vanilla/unmodded xbox will not do alot with the xbox remote control apart dvds and audio cds. the xbox remote is sold as a dvd playback kit which is why i was talking about dvds :)

@Blub2k4 you can do dongle free playing on all xbox versions not just the 1.0 with dvdx v 1.0

@quarryman it's not possible to hook it to the board as the dongle runs on usb - i don't know if it'd work running it off a usb port with connection modification

Found this on ebay ship to americas only but if you ask nicly he may ship to ireland seeing as its not allot of money.

ebay

And not to be outdone by myslef a guy on the sales board is selling a dvd remote brand new hes looking for €15.

Sales Board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Elmer wrote:
    @Blub2k4 you can do dongle free playing on all xbox versions not just the 1.0 with dvdx v 1.0

When modded you are correct, we were not discussing his box being modded and it was OT, his question was with regard to a universal remote with xbox unmodded, I stand by what I said.

fair enough you're right about the ot - i just don't understand why you put 1.0 in there it makes it sound like a specific xbox version was required.

Advertisement