Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl MP3 player

Options
  • 12-01-2005 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Did anyone else buy the mp3 player Lidl had on offer a few weeks back? The model is Saxico Silvercrest, it was €99 for 512mb. I've been fairly happy with it until this morning. Not sure whats going on but sometimes when I try switch it on, the screen light comes on but there's no display. Then I mess with it till it comes on and it says there are no files on it. I eventually get it to work by taking out the battery and re-trying it. Anyone have any reports on this player? Also, is there any sort of car kit that I can use to play my mp3 player on a car (cd) radio? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grooveguru

Yeah,

I liked this so much I actually went back and bought a second one ( two of my friends have one also ). Similar to the problem you described I experienced more or less the same thing about a week ( or more ?) ago. I first thought it was the battery ( I'm using UniRoss rechargeable NiMH ) but upon swapping in different ones I realised it must be something else as the problem didn't disappear. It eventually came back working -- not really sure why -- all I had done was cycle through the main joystick/start stop control and turned the Volume +/- buttons all the way up and down. A bit of a mystery ....

Now with both of my players I am experiencing sudden power-off when playing back WMA files ( which I've ripped from my own CDs ) . I'll check with my friends if they've had any similar experience and post back here.

I don't know about a CD/Radio adaptor but I bought a tape casette adaptor for may car and it workd great.

Post some more info if you find out anything else or have any more observations.

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hyflyer

Haven't had any problems since until today. I loaded some stuff onto it last night, and then this morning when I switched it on, it displayed the No Files message. It kept doing this, so I hooked it up to the PC to see what the story was, but I can't open the drive. It says 'The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error'. It also will not allow the device to be disconnected properly. When I select it, and hit stop nothing happens. Head wreck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grooveguru

Sorry to hear that you're having more problems -- I don't know what it could be -- sounds like a completely different problem from the intermittent ones I'm having ( ocasionally mine just shuts down after a few seconds playing WMA -- but then it always works when powered up the next day ..?! )

Your problem sounds like the file system on the device has become corrupted. It may be worth while trying to Format the device --- BUT, a word of caution -- don't proceed with this unless you're sure it's OK to do this. It's OK on some USB keyring type devices -- it fixes the filesystem --- but I don't have the User Manual for the Saxico with me right now so I'm not sure . I THINK I remember reading something about it in the manual ...

One thing though, I guess you'll have to get the Computer to "see" it first as a drive before you can format it -- it the computer does see it then you have a good chance in succeeding. Obviously this will also wipe off all your files from the device but I guess you also have a copy of them on your computer ?

Best of Luck ....

grooveguru wrote:

One thing though, I guess you'll have to get the Computer to "see" it first as a drive before you can format it -- it the computer does see it then you have a good chance in succeeding. Obviously this will also wipe off all your files from the device but I guess you also have a copy of them on your computer ?

Best of Luck ....

The computer sees the drive alright, it just won't open. I spotted the 'formatting' option on it alright when i right-clicked on it. I'll try formatting it over the weekend. I haven't got my music backed up at all, but they were mostly MP3 files of stuff I have on vinyl, so it could be alot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lenzy

i had the same problem with the lidl mp3 player, as i got it 4 months ago, it once showed the sign that there where no files stored on it and i got really freaked out, but then later they came back....weird
    but now i have a worse problem, i mean the mp3 player works and all but when i try to connect it to the computer it doesnt work, the computer doesnt sense it or something, and i have the latest pentium 4 so its not the computer so i guess its the mp3 player! Does anyone think i could do something about this ?
    Lena

• Advertisement

It's possible that that's a problem with the USB cable - does the display on the player say 'ready' when you connect it??

Mine has been returned anyway and I got my money back. It wouldn't allow me format it and it thought there were no files on it. It took around a month or so after I sent it off before I got my refund. Gonna spend that money on another player - probably an iPod mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 biteme386

hey, just thought id say, me an 3 of my other mates have had absolutely no problems with our mp3 players, in fact they've worked excellently since we got them. if u dont mind me askin, where r u all from? it may be because if your all from near each other or something, you might have got a dodgy batch, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hyflyer wrote:
    Also, is there any sort of car kit that I can use to play my mp3 player on a car (cd) radio? Cheers.

You could get a little fm transmitter that'll plugs into your player and broadcasts to your car stereo.They're very cheap on ebay. I've never tried one myself though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Or you could get an Iriver which has a line out and a line in and radio built in, has to be the greatest mp3 player on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rumenfey

I just got from my friend this mp3 player (silvercrest saxico), but it doesnt install automatically, it says it is an unknown device, but he doesnt have the installation CD anymore :(, do you guys know where.how can I get it's driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 frankscott

bought this thing today, Silvercrest mh41, a 512 mb in Lidl, Ballina.
    Lights up and says ready when i plug it into USB drive.
    I can do nothing else whatever
    pc does not see it at all. I have a fairly new pc, Medion, Win xp etc.
    Any advice? have spent hours rebooting, using "add new hardware" etc, no good. must be a dud
    Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

frankscott wrote:
    bought this thing today, Silvercrest mh41, a 512 mb in Lidl, Ballina.
    Lights up and says ready when i plug it into USB drive.
    I can do nothing else whatever
    pc does not see it at all. I have a fairly new pc, Medion, Win xp etc.
    Any advice? have spent hours rebooting, using "add new hardware" etc, no good. must be a dud
    Frank

I bought one too and have problems with it reading a SD card. It just refuses to read the card although the card is seen by another mp3 player and my PC. Any suggestions?

For your problem I would suggest that you go to settings. Then choose online device and you have a choice between USB drive and media device. Pick USB drive. You will probably have to reboot. Your PC should now see the player as an extra drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

When I bought the silvercrest 1 gig mp3 player from Lidl, I was very happy with it at first, because it had a nice big display, and It was easy to navigate through folders or press the forward or back button.
    Now usually I take out the battery when I'm finished using it. This model had a power off switch. So I decided to leave the battery in, and power the unit off.
    That worked fine for a while, until one morning I turned it off and found that the folder containing the file I had been listening to had disappeared. The other folders were there
    but no files.
    I then connecterd it to the computer. All the files and folders were there, but when I disconnected again, they had gone again.
    I reconnected to computer, and tried moving files back to had drive.
    I tried formatting, deleting, whatever I could think of trying, I tried. It was all to no avail.
    The Support line was useless, so I got my money back.

When I saw the mp3 player that Aldi had for sale, my problem with the lidl player seemed a blessing in disguise. This one was the same price, but had a gig more memory, colour display, and you could read txt files from it.
    Then, one day it stopped playing and started flashing. So i decided that it needed recharging, which I did.
    The flashing stopped, but I was no longer able to play any files on it.
    That one's gone back too.

Advertisement