Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMP Athlon XP 2500+ Temperature

Options
  • 12-01-2005 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

The CPU runs at 63 degree Cel @ 100% processing and I was just wondering what is the limit of the chip is?

I overclocked the chip from 1.8G to 2.2G and the Temp was pushing towards 70 degree @ 100% processing .

Any help or info would be appreciated?

Quazzy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thats pretty warm i think.
    I had a normar barton 2500 and ~55C was about as high as it ever went under load, not using the stock cooler as its not recomended when oc'ing.
    I have a mobile 2500 now oc'ed a good bit and 47C is the highest so far recorded by mbm after a few hours of ut2k4.
    So maybe your running a little warm, 85 i think is the max for your chip but i could be way wrong. Are you using the stock cooler or a better one?

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

jozi wrote:
    Thats pretty warm i think.
    I had a normar barton 2500 and ~55C was about as high as it ever went under load, not using the stock cooler as its not recomended when oc'ing.
    I have a mobile 2500 now oc'ed a good bit and 47C is the highest so far recorded by mbm after a few hours of ut2k4.
    So maybe your running a little warm, 85 i think is the max for your chip but i could be way wrong. Are you using the stock cooler or a better one?

Jozi

It's stock cooler - I think - Only runs at 2500 RPM - which seems kinda slow.
    I'm kinda new to the OC scene.

Was thinking of getting a new one so I can keep the cpu @ 2.2Ghz

Do you have any suggestions?

do get a better cooler if.
    im sorry i cant sugest anything thats good really, not up to date at all on heatsinks, there's prob some tread on here if you search otherwise just have a look at some reviews on-line.

Jozi

Cheers Jozi.

I'll look around.

Quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yeh i think near 70 sounds a bit high, i thought the limit was 70 degrees for prolonged use, id agree with jozi a new cooler could be a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You really shouldnt be aiming to keep it under 60'C (when under 100% load).

Whats your motherboard? How important is silence to you?

Generally Thermalright make the best heatsinks, Zalman are great mix for performance/silence, the artic coolers are a cheap option with variable fan speed........

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

I used to have a 2500+ running at 2.2ghz a while ago (have a 2400+ Mobile now due to some problems) but the temps never went over 60oc. Since I was ordering a new processor I decided to order a new heatsink and fan. I have the 2400 overclocked to 2.4ghz and the temps stay well below 57oc. Here's the heat sink and fan I got my fan only runs at 1700rpm and it still stays cool

Heatsink Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For that price id probably go with a thermalright.......

One big advantage of the one you listed is the fact that it can be used on Intel and AMD (including AMD64's) boards, how does it perform?

Are them heat pipe heatsinks not very efficient?
    I've got a mobile barton 2500 clocked at 2.4ghz and the highest temp i've seen recored by mbm is 47C, i've got a thermaltake volcano 12 with the stock fan.
    The fans doing less than 3000rpm, not making a whole lot of noise and 2 case fans and sonata's are know for beeing warm case.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

just ordered me a ZALMAN 7000ALCU for the 2600XP

Hope i'l get a bit outta that but the XP120mm's are great too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

quazzy wrote:
    The CPU runs at 63 degree Cel @ 100% processing and I was just wondering what is the limit of the chip is?

I overclocked the chip from 1.8G to 2.2G and the Temp was pushing towards 70 degree @ 100% processing .

Any help or info would be appreciated?

Quazzy

As far as I remember Athlons can run at 90 degrees but obviously not for a prolonged period.

Added new CoolMaster Case Fan and a System Exhaust Extractor thingy.
    Temp has gone down to about 50 degrees Cel.....

Still might get a new HSF but thanks for everyones input and help.

Quazzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

About 50ish is grand,
    Mines at 2400Mhz and never exceeds 55C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

quazzy wrote:
    Temp has gone down to about 50 degrees Cel.....

Quazzy.

thats good to hear u got sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

47degs under load on an amd xp2600, I have a wonderful copper silent 2tc, it is silent as you could want for a heat sink, but I did use proper thermal paste, lovely now as the stock one was a bit crap to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My 2600+ never goes over 47c also, clocked at 2430mhz at the moment. Have a copper heatsink and plate on back of motherboard as the heatsink is 560g's.

Your new temp is fine, i had a 2500+ at 2200/2300mhz and it would go to 66c under load but i did not care when it hit 70c computer would shut down which was a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BadCharlie wrote:
    when it hit 70c computer would shut down which was a bummer.

That's probably just a BIOS setting, shutting down the system when the detected CPU temp reaches a certain limit, innit? Mind the old Athlon XP doesn't have any built-in protection from burning to death :)

70c is not that high though for it, although it might only live for about 5 years running that hot :rolleyes:

I used to get temps half that

Just found a big ball of dust between Heat Sink and Fan.
    Cleared it and gave the rest of the case a good cleaning and as if by magic temps gone down another 3-5 oC.

CPU Temp Stable @ 46oC (no load ) OverClocked from 1.83 -> 2.2 Ghz
    CPU Temp Stable @ 56oC (100% load) OverClocked from 1.83 -> 2.2 Ghz

Moral of the story "Clean your Case"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i have my 2500 OC'd at 3200 speeds and at full on 100% im getting ~38 at the socket, ~40 on the diode. I have a thermaltake volcano cooler though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement