Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Man Utd

• 12-01-2005 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea are without the suspended Arjen Robben, as well as the injured Robert Huth, Ricardo Carvalho and Scott Parker, and Mateja Kezman is a doubt.

Frank Lampard returns after a ban and Claude Makelele, Petr Cech and Damien Duff may return after being rested.

Wayne Rooney is likely to return to the Manchester United line-up after a three-game ban, with John O'Shea and Quinton Fortune returning after injury.

Louis Saha should be on the bench but Gary Neville is not yet fit to return.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Johnson, Ferreira, Gallas, Terry, Lampard,Smertin, Jarosik, Cole, Geremi, Tiago, Kezman, Gudjohnsen, Drogba, Duff,Makelele, Morais, Watt.

Man Utd (from): Howard, Ricardo, P Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Fortune, Pique, Spector, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Ronaldo, Richardson, Scholes, Jones, Eagles, Rooney, Saha, Bellion.
    I think United are in for a really hard time tonight, Chelsea will certainly dominate more than Liverpool did last night. I'm delighted Robben is unavailable as I want to see Duff given more freedom, preferably on the left. I see a 3-0 coming up. BTW, why does Scholes always have to travel with the reserve teams in cup games?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

somewhere between 3 and 5 nil in my estimation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think United are in for a really hard time tonight, Chelsea will certainly dominate more than Liverpool did last night. I'm delighted Robben is unavailable as I want to see Duff given more freedom, preferably on the left. I see a 3-0 coming up. BTW, why does Scholes always have to travel with the reserve teams in cup games?

So when they're getting desperate at 2-0 down after 70 minutes they can throw him on in a futile attempt to get something? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I read somewhere that Ferguson is under pressure from the board to put out a decent team after the Exeter result, and after him saying that they won't win all 4 trphies I think he will be out to win, lets be realistic it's still a trophy and may be Uniteds the best chance of winning a trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

eirebhoy wrote:

Dunno, may be its 'cause he's a ginger ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=249257&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Chelsea+v+Man+Utd+preview&channel=Football_Home
    Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted that Chelsea cannot win on four fronts this season, and his Manchester United side will have the chance to put a dent in their prospects of that very feat when they meet in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final on Wednesday, live on Sky Sports 1. Chelsea have looked unstoppable at times this season and, as Liverpool discovered, even when they are not at their best have an enviable habit of grinding out wins. But, after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Exeter, Ferguson will put out a strong United side - and will hope to keep up an unbeaten record in domestic cup semi-finals. Wayne Rooney is expected to return to the side after suspension, and could be partnered at some point in the game by Louis Saha - who has recovered from his injury. John O'Shea has also been declared fit, along with Quinton Fortune and both could feature. Chelsea will have Wayne Bridge available again, with the England international returning from a virus, and Mateja Kezman is also fit after shaking off a knock. Frank Lampard has now served his one-match ban, but Arjen Robben is suspended. Ricardo Carvalho, Scott Parker and Robert Huth are all long-term absentees. The first leg is at Stamford Bridge, kicking off at 8pm, with the return leg at Old Trafford in a fortnight's time. Skysports.com prediction: 1-0 to Manchester United

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

United Reserves vs Chelsea First Team

What are the chances of Ferguson sending the team out to inflict a few knocks on them? Lucky for Chelsea, Rjobben is suspended. If himself and Duff were to get sidelined for a while then Chelsea would be back to trying to grind out 1-0 victories like the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Is it certain that none of Keane, Ferdinand, Silvestre and Heinze are travelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

irish1 wrote:
    lets be realistic it's still a trophy and may be Uniteds the best chance of winning a trophy.
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this, and I am not trying to make this another ABU -v- United flame war.

Yes it is a trophy, but a trophy that the so called bigger teams have taken as a nothing trophy in the recent past.

Sure, United got to the final a few years ago, but there were rumours that the team had laid bets that they would win it that season. I don't think Ferguson or the United Players or the United fans would be happy with winning just that.
    Bannor wrote:
    What are the chances of Ferguson sending the team out to inflict a few knocks on them?

Jesus, you are some cynic. I like it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Have a sneaky feeling about this one(probably mad). The United players will be fired up after the weekends debacle, a lot of them are playing for their futures. Chelsea also might take them for granted a little.I will go for 1-1 or a 2-1 to United. Would settle for a 1 goal defeat also. Can't see them getting hammered.
    Unless they get hammered they are in a win-win situation, as they are expected to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

BolBill wrote:
    Dunno, may be its 'cause he's a ginger ????
    Banned for a week. Taken from the charter "Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated."

In regards to the match, it will either be 3 nil to Chelsea or United will fluke a 1 nil win.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this, and I am not trying to make this another ABU -v- United flame war.

Yes it is a trophy, but a trophy that the so called bigger teams have taken as a nothing trophy in the recent past.

Sure, United got to the final a few years ago, but there were rumours that the team had laid bets that they would win it that season. I don't think Ferguson or the United Players or the United fans would be happy with winning just that.

Yes but do you honestly think that United wouldn't like to win it rather then seeing Liverpool or Chelsea win it, I mean come on it might not be a great trophy but anyteam would rather win it than see one of their main rivals win.

I wasn't meaning to be smart when I said it might be United best chance to win a trophy, I mean I would say the exact same for Liverpool.

Actually this is the second time Bolbill has been banned in a month. Ban is permanent.

irish1 wrote:
    I wasn't meaning to be smart
    I know :)
    irish1 wrote:
    Yes but do you honestly think that United wouldn't like to win it rather then seeing Liverpool or Chelsea win it,
    Not that United wouldn't LIKE to win it, of course, it is a trophy. But, they have consistantly over the past few seasons put out so called weakened teams, which suggests that they don't really mind not winning it.
    irish1 wrote:
    I mean come on it might not be a great trophy but anyteam would rather win it than see one of their main rivals win.
    This is of course true.

Crikey, thats the harshest banning I've ever seen. Scholes does have ginger hair and it was just a lighthearted joke. Nothing abusive or racist in it, and was certainly not meant to be abusive or racist.

Bad luck BolBill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Been a United id say it is probably one of their best chances to win a trophy!Champions league would be very hard to win!Premiership is a real long shot and the only other one is the Fa cup which they probably have as much chance of winning as the Carling cup!
    Having said that, i think its important not just for the Carling cup, but the premiership aswell that United BEAT Chelsea tonight!If to just kncok their confidence a bit and if that means fielding a stronger team tonight then so be it!

Crikey, thats the harshest banning I've ever seen. Scholes does have ginger hair and it was just a lighthearted joke. Nothing abusive or racist in it, and was certainly not meant to be abusive or racist.

Bad luck BolBill

Agreed!Thought that was a little harsh!

Agreed Horseface etc was used a lot without bannings.

Ok so if he had of said he was black in the same context, is that not racism?

talla wrote:
    Of course, and the banning was acceptable

but...
    talla wrote:
    Taken from the charter "Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated."

and...
    irish1 wrote:
    Agreed Horseface etc was used a lot without bannings.
    Horseface = personal abuse

What about consistency?

I think thats a bit extreme to be honest, as I said many worse things have been said about players without any action. But your the Mod so your the boss.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, and maybe people will take that into account next time becuase i will enforce it.

talla wrote:

True......Ok maybe he shouldnt have called him a ginger but it just seems he shouldhave gotten a final warning or something first!I dunno, dont want to tell ya how to run the forum just expressing my opinion that i think its a little harsh!

You are automatically on a final warning after being banned once. Now if i carry out the letter of the charter in access requests, unfortunately 2 regular posters that never cause any trouble will be banned for a month for sponsoring him.

It's a bit like a new directive from the FA for refs to be stricter on certain aspects for instance diving.

When the first player is sent off for diving, there is outcry, but then when everybody is sent off for it, it becomes the norm.

I, for one, welcome our new stricter mod overlords.

...meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Firstly I accept Irish1's last sentence.

And I would totally agree that if he had said "black", then that would have been out of order.

However, in my opinion, hair colour is a totally different league, and in my opinion fair game for a bit of banter. Equally if the joke had been he was dropped because he was bald, it would have been fine IMO.

So I think Horseface (borderline!), Shrek and Ginger are all ok. A lot of red heads are called "Ginger" by their mates. Its not as if it there's something wrong with you if you have red hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think it was fair. What did he contribute to this thread? Ok I personally laughed at his comment but still....he should have said something to contribute to the thread too.

To be honest, if that is the team, I can see Chelsea beating Man Utd. However, I have a gut feeling(Maybe it is just optomistic thinking...) that Man Utd will win. I don't know how or why but I just do...

Lads, if yis want to discuss this any further no problem, open up a new thread here or in feedback, now bring the thread back on topic please.

So I think Horseface (borderline!), Shrek and Ginger are all ok. A lot of red heads are called "Ginger" by their mates. Its not as if it there's something wrong with you if you have red hair!

Yes but Shrek, Horseface and Ginger all refer to United players so it shouldnt be ok in that sense!

Ok sorry, back to topic!

Anyone know the deal with Kezman? heard he was a doubt!

Dunno whether i should be worried or not!

Just noticed that smith isnt in the squad either.

Howard
    Neville - O'Shea - Brown - Fortune
    Ronaldo - Fletcher - Djemba - Scholes - Richardson
    Rooney

....will likely be the team, assuming he goes 4-5-1, which I think he will. Thats pretty weak, though of course the two Rons could produce magic to get goals, but its difficult to see them not conceding. at least Robben isnt playing which should make Chelsea less incisive.

(it was just examples trig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Scholes possibly describes himself as 'strawberry blonde' :D

Anyone remember Dave Kitson? His own fans had a ginger day, where they all wore ginger wigs. He wasnt very happy with them and described himself as 'strawberry blonde' leading to the chant on the terraces "strawberry blonde? your having a laugh!"

Anyway, on topic - I reckon utd will come out of this with maybe a 1-1 or a 1-0 loss. They will go out and play a very physical game, like they did against arsenal in the league. Chelsea havent really been put under too much physical pressure this season and i dont think they will like it. Players such as gudjonsen, duff and cole, maybe even ferreira, gallas, etc dont seem to relish the physical side of the game too much. Still expect chelsea to get a result, but not quite the result everyone seems to be predicting.

Boro wrote:
    They will go out and play a very physical game, like they did against arsenal in the league.
    And in the League Cup too.

Are United likely to put them under pressure physically?

PNeville, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune is about as unphysical a back line as I can imagine.

The midfield isnt much "stronger".

Are United likely to put them under pressure physically?

PNeville, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune is about as unphysical a back line as I can imagine.

The midfield isnt much "stronger".
    I dont think it matters whether they are 'physical', they will more than likely have been threatened with castration by Fergie if they dont go out there and 'play like real men, ye southern softies'

Also remember the way P Neville was buckling all and sundry in the arsenal game? That lad can lay in the challenges.

YEah something tells me we are gonna be well up for this game so the physicality side is the least of my worries!

Try the quality of the chelsea side compared to ours!eeeek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I expect a very physical game which Chelsea will not like. I don;'t think united will score with that squad so I expect Chelsea to win or a draw. The competition means nothing to the bigger clubs who have very little interst in winning it. Ok it 's a trophy for the winners but thats pretty meaningless in todays game. Even the F.A Cup is going that way with the bigger teams fielding their reserve teams. Europe and the PL is all that matters to the clubs as that is where the money is.Thats the reality of the situation which is a pity as the cups used to throw up some great exciting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

id go for a chelsea win or a draw tbh!!! united have liverpool on saturday and will need to win that so the team that fergie will put out tonight will have that game in consideration!!! i think united will take a physical edge to this game which might keep some of the chelsea stars quiet for long spells of the game!!! if chelsea do get the win tonight it wont be by much, a goal at most imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I can see a draw and Utd winning through!! Utd will just stick a man on Makelele position like Arsenal did and then close down the team......Chelsea cant get the ball out of defence!! UTd will go thru!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hopefully the game will result in a mass brawl where by the FA ban the 2 starting 11's for the rest of the season thus by giving the gooners the title!! :D:D

But on the other hand I think chelsea will win comfortably but wouldnt mind a few injuries on the chelsea team inflicted by Utd of course ;)

I think it will be a United win, simply because the cock-sure Mourinho will send his team out expecting an easy ride.

• Advertisement

No i don't think Morinho is that unprofessional about sending his side out expecting to win, especially after the preparation that was shown he put into the Scunthorpe match at the weekend. He'll also be aware that the United players from Saturday will have something to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I wouldn't call mourinho cock-sure, he is a decent manager a bit arrogant but there's nothing wrong with that 2:1 united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3-1 chelsea what ever the score it will be a chelsea win

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

4 - 0 chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

3-0 Chelsea.
    There can't be that many cocksure managers who would draw up a 6 page dossier on Scunthorpe. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

quite a few that draw with exeter though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i wouldnt be surprised if utd pull off a shock result, ie a win or draw. it's not a case of chelsea showboating their way to a 3/4-0 win, utd will make it difficult. i'll go with 1-1. (hopefully we'll get something like that, even a single goal defeat would make it interesting at OT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Do you know what. I have a feeling the same feeling I had before Aresnal in last years FA Cup and this year in the league when everybody laughed at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea will be kicked, pulled, and fouled.

Counter attacks will not happen, because they will be fouled the second they do, just like what happens in Europe, and just like what we did against Arsenal.

Physical back line is here,

O'shea is a big lad, Brown is uber strong, Neville is not strong, but not weak, and

---

As for the game,
    well theres a couple of things to consider.

The young players are playing for their future, after Exeter, thats always an impetus.

Rooney and Saha are playing up front, United definally have the ability to score in this game.

Question is can they score more or less than Chelsea?
    Depends as always, as always, on Duff :)
    I can see him getting kicked.

Chelsea will be very confident in this match, so perhaps they might underate the united team, which is a very bad idea against any united team.

Howard will be looking to show he is the best keeper, if he shows the form he used to show he might make some amazing saves.

p.s., I'd love all the chelsea team to get broken arms in this game :)

[The reason I say broken arms is cause I feel no personal hatred towards them, but I don't want them able to play :)]

p.p.s.

Is terry playing?

If he is they will be good in defence, but hes gona get more and more tired, which is good for the premiership

If not, I think chelsea will be weaker in defence

I'm in work, anyone got the team line ups?

edit*/

Chelsea: Cudicini, Paulo Ferreira, Terry, Gallas, Bridge, Lampard, Makelele, Tiago, Cole, Gudjohnsen, Duff.
    Subs: Cech, Johnson, Kezman, Drogba, Jarosik.

Man Utd: Howard, Phil Neville, Silvestre, O'Shea, Heinze, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Fortune, Saha, Rooney.
    Subs: Carroll, Smith, Miller, Scholes, Spector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement