Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Man Utd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PENO :)

That ref is an ABU :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Gave Chelsea a free for pratically the same thing>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is there really a peno?

Don't do that to me, no peno.

Wasn't given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good to see Saha and Rooney back . Both teams look up for it. good game sos far still 0 0 though

Lampards marvellous header just wide

Chelsea goal disallowed for offside
    Gudjohnsen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

gudjonsen goal disallowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If united keep it tight they could come away with a good result.

1st shot on target. Rooney header. Saved.

Does it count as a shot on target if the ball was going to the post, but the keeper saved it anyway?

Good question

Half-Time
    No score folks!

Good half.

Peno for Saha if the ref is consistant, but it'd be tough to give.

Lampard just missed a header
    Rooney just missed a header
    No real clear cut chances yet, good spells from both teams.

I dont have the fear that Chelsea are gona score, which I normally get, but I think after the break they will come out guns blazing.

• Advertisement

Oh I got that fear let me tell you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

although he hasnt had anything to do, howard looks to have regained at least some of his confidence. if he gets his hand to a lampard shot id say he cud be back in saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    Does it count as a shot on target if the ball was going to the post, but the keeper saved it anyway?

If it's saved it counts as on target but if it hits the post it counts as off target.

Re: Saha's penalty claim. What's taht about things evening out over time?!? ;)

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Good half.

Peno for Saha if the ref is consistant, but it'd be tough to give.

Stonewall Penno, shouldn't be hard to give if the officials saw it clearly. Anyway decisions like that just dispells the myth about refs favouring United. Overall I,m happy enough with United first half performance . More of that in the second half and I think we could nick it.

Drogba on for gudjohnson second half just starting now.

Heinze cleared off the line.

• Advertisement

Yeah chelsea seem to be turning it on now

Bright start from Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chelsea are looking good. Would deserve a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Have to laugh at some people`s predictions here with their 3-0/4-0 Chelski wins and its still scoreless with 20 mins left......... :rolleyes:

rofl, drogba lost the plot, fun times :)

0-0 FT
    3 nil-nils in for United. VERY VERY rare

Finished 0-0

Nice one.

Judging by the reports online, I think we can chalk this one up as a win in the "mind-games" battle for Sir Alex of Ferguson?

Phil Neville also cleared off the line in the last 5 minutes

How is it a mind games win?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    How is it a mind games win?

From Here

90 mins: Jose Mourinho is now arguing with the fourth official, who has signalled that there will be only two minutes of added time. He's pointing at the Manchester United fans

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Good nights work for Man U tonight. It would have been interesting to see how we would have preformed if we had played our strongest fit team, Keano would have had a stormer had he played. Delighted to see Heinze get man of the match. I personally thought he was absolutely outstanding especially that off the line clearance.

John O Shea looked a bit dodgy in the first half but had a better second half. Now roll on Liverpool on Saturday

I dont understand, because he was arguing with the ref for more time, and rightly so btw :), and thats showing his mental weakness.
    I think thats a bit of clutching at straws.

Good game, peno wasn't given.

However the two goal line clearances, I still didn't feel that they were gona score from em, more perhaps from nevilles finish(which howard had covered), and I don't think Lampard had ever a chance of scoring, unless he blasted it.
    Any good defender is gona get on the line when they spot that, and he should have hit it harder to score, instead of side footing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

seansouth wrote:
    From Here

90 mins: Jose Mourinho is now arguing with the fourth official, who has signalled that there will be only two minutes of added time. He's pointing at the Manchester United fans

If arguing with the referee over added time is a 'mind games' victory, then Fergie must lose every week.

rofl, watching the interview with mourinho afterwards, I'm somewhat confused at what hes talking about. Maybe you're right seansouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

a great result for utd, job done and now we're favourites for the 2nd leg imo. nobody comes to old trafford and gets an easy win no matter what utd side is put out. this was always the danger leg for utd, chelsea were red hot favourites playing a strong line out. its incredible utd can pull off a result like that with no rio, keane, van nistelrooy, the spine of our side.

we've a real chance at winning this now. we dont want it ahead of the other 3 but winning can only be good if even just for morale and confidence, experience more than anything else. we rode our luck, no doubt about that. bouncing balls not cleared 1st time and causing nervy moments, shot cleared off the line and a few spells of fierce pressure. but we held shape most of the game, something utd struggle with usually and created the usual chances.

saha looked lively, didnt really get space to show what he can do but always looked strong and a threat. heinze motm by a long shot, sensational workrate and his no-nonsense attitude makes him dominate that left side, nobody gets by him. he's on his way to being the best left back in the world and hopefully it'll continue, crossing lets him down sometimes but i dont care, he's just what utd need at the back, an absolute pillar of strength- bobo balde like only skinnier and more agile, but he has the strength.

im delighted tonight, not only is it good for utd but it could put chelsea under a bit of pressure should they lose the 2nd leg. arsenal were upset last year by utd, going out of the fa cup when going for the treble, then slipping up in the champs league and struggling in the league. im hoping possibly going out of the semi's could disturb chelsea also.

On a whole,

Saha was very good, I love the guy, hope he shows why hes the second best striker at united.

Ronaldo was very very very good tonight, all his tricks were coming off, AND he wasn't in anyway selfish, if anything lacked a little strikers instinct, but thats better than the other way!

Fortune was good, but is a defender, doesn't have the passing ability, and when in defence doesn't show enough skill. Like the guy though, but dont know what to do with him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how was it a stonewall peno when the ball came off the defenders shine?

i would go off on a tirade against ronaldo and drogba but there being one banning already due to this thread so better not!

Its a stonewall peno because the foul was

A. Commited by the other player, the trip
    B. Have you heard anyone say it wasn't a peno yet but yourself :)

But thats the way it goes, win some lose some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

it was a good game draw was a fair result its a shame utd didnt throw a few more players forward when they had good possession, roll on saturday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Fair result in the end. Heinze had a great game, didnt think it was a peno and didnt think that the free a few minutes later given to duff was a foul either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

still think chelsea will be in the final, i think they'll be well up for the 2ns leg

good match. very happy with united however had one of lampards attempts gone in, it wouldve been a different story. howard done good, i would rather see him in goal than carroll, no offense to roy, he is a good gk, but howard has alot more potential than carroll.

as for the peno, i thought it was after i saw the reverse angle replay where you could clearly see tiago hacking saha, but from the ref's angle i thought saha went looking for it. it was close but i wont complain.

heinze was def man of the match, brlliant player except for his tendancy to foul. pressure on chelsea now to produce the form the showed beforehand, not sure who they are playing next but its a big weekend for the premiership title as the pressure on chelsea and utd away to the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah just on the peno, imo it wasnt a peno either. it should have been an indirect freekick for obstruction or impeading, whatever it's called nowdays.

saha played the ball past the 2 chelsea defenders, he would have got it if there had of been a big enough gap between them as they were flatfooted.

as the 2 chelsea defenders were flatfooted and saha was running towards them, they couldnt do much and was too little time to move their feet out of the way so in the end saha went down as he couldnt jump over the 2 defenders legs.

as it wasnt intentional on chelsea's behalf but saha had the advantage and would have got the ball, imo it should have been an indirect free kick inside the box. you dont see it too often, but this is a perfect example of when it should be used.

could i just add too that this was the first time i seen the smooth mourinho throw a wobbler so hopefully for the rest of the premiership this is the start of a .....

"i would love it if we beat them, love it" situation!! kevin keegan i never laughed so much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mayordenis wrote:
    still think chelsea will be in the final, i think they'll be well up for the 2ns leg

You also thought that they would beat us 4-0

i thought it was a foul by tiago he def kicked at saha. also i was a big fan of drogba but tonight he showed his true worth. john o shea managed to mark him which is no compliment.

Leonard wrote:
    You also thought that they would beat us 4-0
    :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Its a stonewall peno because the foul was

A. Commited by the other player, the trip
    B. Have you heard anyone say it wasn't a peno yet but yourself :)

i have now :)

i just think that if two players challenge like that, if one gets the ball then it shouldnt be a peno.

duff went down very very easy, but in that tackle neither of the players got the ball.

i actually thought there was no contact when duff went down..however even as a united fan i would say it was a free. the saha incident wasnt a pen for me until i clearly saw saha's body move from tiago's challenge. it was a pen but im not infuriated over it.

and as for mourinho giving out about fortune walking slowly...just wait until old trafford leg!!!!!! what goes around comes around in football. just like wenger complaining about rooneys dive when robert pires is proabably the worst diver in the prem!

• Advertisement
Advertisement