Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Man Utd

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Overall United have to be pleased with that result. They definately deserved a draw despite the most clear cut chances going to Chelsea.

Saha looked lively, faded a bit towards the end, but thats to be expected seeing as its his first game back. 90 minutes under his belt will (unfortunately) do him the world of good coming into the Liverpool game at the weekend.

Fortune did exactly what he was put there to do, and mixed it up but always just under the acceptable level to keep him out of trouble. Id say Ferguson is very pleased.

Heinze again was excellent. He looks class, the only blot on his copybook is going forward. He gets in good positions at the back post sometimes, but he just doesnt provide enough width and crosses. For me thats his only weakness.

Its good for the league because both teams will now go out to win at OT. Puts another tough game in front of both, and IMO its too close to call.
    PHB wrote:
    Ronaldo was very very very good tonight, all his tricks were coming off, AND he wasn't in anyway selfish, if anything lacked a little strikers instinct, but thats better than the other way!
    Do you think? I thought he was awful, particularly in the second half. His tricks can come off all he likes, but ultimately he gets tackled after one or gives a bad pass too often. I hope he starts against Liverpool (kiss of death there, the only other good game I have seen him put in this year was against them at OT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Even enough game. I think a peno could have been given for the foul on Saha, but if you want to talk about intent then I don't think there was any. I don't blame Mourinho for going on at the 4th official - the united fans acted the bollocks not once but twice when the ball went out (they wouldn't give it back). I thought it was funny the first time and even Lampard smiled but the second time was taking the piss. So basically there was only the 30 seconds given for each sub and nothing else...I reckon United will win the next leg & go through to the final though

Its just a pity the United fans didnt throw the ball back once Lampard got the other one. Now that would have been funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I didn't see in this game, once, once at all, where Ronaldo gave a bad pass.
    Two of his crosses weren't amazing, and he wasn't playing a stormer or anything, but he was playing a steady game doing nothing wrong. Keep in mind who he was playing against, one of the best full backs in the world
    Totally different player from the last couple of matches, very happy I am :)

p.s.

Look at these stats :)

Chelsea Team Statistics Manchester United
    0 Goals 0
    0 1st Half Goals 0
    2 Shots on Target 3
    8 Shots off Target 5
    8 Blocked Shots 6
    4 Corners 7
    17 Fouls 20
    4 Offsides 6
    1 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    68.0 Passing Success 71.9
    53 Tackles 55
    52.8 Tackles Success 47.3
    45.1 Possession 54.9
    52.3 Territorial Advantage 47.7

PHB wrote:
    I didn't see in this game, once, once at all, where Ronaldo gave a bad pass.
    Two of his crosses weren't amazing, and he wasn't playing a stormer or anything, but he was playing a steady game doing nothing wrong.
    But he didnt put in any crosses of note. And got tackled often after beating the first man, and thats my whole point about him, he can pull of a fancy trick to beat someone, but he may as well have just given the ball away if he loses it to the next man. He was playing in an advanced midfield role, but his only bit of action up that end was a desperate penalty claim. And its not as if he worked hard at the back.

I would happily take a performance like that from him against Liverpool, I thought it was really bad.

The stats make it look like United had the upper hand, at one stage they had 7-0 corners. Ferguson will be very happy and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Its just a pity the United fans didnt throw the ball back once Lampard got the other one. Now that would have been funny :D

they should put them on ebay with becks ball starting bid €100000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i was acutally waiting for them to do that, specially when duff went over, one lads seemed to turn around as if he was hiding the ball, and was just waiting for duff to start his run up and then see a ball coming flying onto the pitch.

on the ronaldo issue i thought he had a poor game aswell, also his childish petty attitude really really pisses me off.

i bet he was the kid who brought the football to play the game, but when he didnt get his way would storm off with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

On at least 4 occassions the Utd fans decided not to return the ball to the field, which delayed the game for a few minutes , which is why Mourinho was pointing at the fans with the 4th official.

Thought Chelsea were unlucky not to get a result, good defending by Utd all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Enjoyed the game and I'm obviously pleased with the result, I thought the Saha incident was a penalty for sure and Duff does a great impression of a Hurdles runner ! Drogba will piss off a ref someday with his whining biotch impressions and get booked mark my words, what was all the crap about time and pointing at his wrist ? I'd have thought they'd be glad to see it over considering ManU were handling them so well !!??

Anyway looking forward to the home leg and hopefully another game like tonight 'cept with some goals please !

Any Ali-G fans in tonight . . . No ? :D

ZEN

• Advertisement

Fromthe BBC site

Chelsea boss could face FA charge

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho may face a Football Association disrepute charge after comments made following their Carling Cup tie with Manchester United.
    Mourinho intimated that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson influenced referee Neale Barry after the duo walked down the tunnel together at half-time.

"I see one referee in the first half and another in the second," he said.

"If the FA ask me what happened, I will tell them. What I saw and felt made it easier to understand a few things."

He added: "Maybe when I turn 60 and have been managing in the same league for 20 years and have the respect of everybody I will have the power to speak to people andmake them tremble a little bit.

"The referee controlled the game in one way during the first half but in the second they had dozens of free-kicks. It was fault after fault, dive after dive.

"But I know the referee did not walk to the dressing rooms alone at half-time. He should only have had his two assistants and the fourth official with him, but there was also someone else."

Ferguson believed his side could have had a penalty when Louis Saha was brought down.

But Mourinho was quick to point out Tottenham's disallowed goal against United when the ball clearly crossed the line after keeper Roy Carroll fumbled a long range Pedro Mendes effort.

"Manchester United should not be allowed to speak about referees for another year after that," he said.

"What happened against Tottenham was one of the most ridiculous decisions I have ever seen."

Mourinho said the match was entertaining for a goalless draw and insisted his team could still reach the final.

"It's 0-0, so if we win we go through and if we get a draw we go to extra time," he said.

"We have exactly the same chance we had before this game.

"We are confident of getting a result but we know what Manchester United is, a footballing power. It'll be difficult for us, but also for them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Fergies got to him. Mr Unflappable has been rattled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mourinho hasnt been rattled one little bit. He's the ice man. The way he patted Ferguson on the back of the head at the end was class. And his after match comments were made in a cool calculating way - not in a rage or anything like it.

And he doesnt care if the FA charge him, because if they do it'll give him the opportunity to repeat exactly what Ferguson said to the ref at half time.

Saha should have got a peno (and a more than decent performance considering the time he's been out)
    Duff rightly got a free
    Ronaldo's was not near a peno (nice theathrics though)
    The ref turned red in the second half
    2 minutes injury time was a joke
    A draw was not an unfair result
    Heinze proves yet again that he's absolute class - goes a long way to making up for the number of duds Ferguson has bought in recent times. He's been the best United player this season IMO.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

kida wrote:
    Fergies got to him. Mr Unflappable has been rattled.
    "I would LOVE it!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Heinze proves yet again that he's absolute class - goes a long way to making up for the number of duds Ferguson has bought in recent times. He's been the best United player this season IMO.

Wonder what the odds on him as Player of the Year are? Usually goes to someone who shines in first half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

And he doesnt care if the FA charge him, because if they do it'll give him the opportunity to repeat exactly what Ferguson said to the ref at half time.

How would he know what was said unless he was with them ?. All he is saying that he saw fergie go down the tunnel with the officials. There's nothing strange or wrong with a manager questioning an official on a decision.

The Muppet wrote:
    How would he know what was said unless he was with them ?. All he is saying that he saw fergie go down the tunnel with the officials. There's nothing strange or wrong with a manager questioning an official on a decision.
    Especially when there are two penalty decisions to be made. The first one was a stone wall penalty. The second wasn't a penalty. But most managers would question the referees decision anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

talla wrote:
    Banned for a week. Taken from the charter "Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated."

In regards to the match, it will either be 3 nil to Chelsea or United will fluke a 1 nil win.
    Isn't that a bit OTT? It was blatantly a tongue in cheek comment. I would hardly say it was personal abuse. It was a joke. And to then go on an ban him for good???

Firstly I accept Irish1's last sentence.

And I would totally agree that if he had said "black", then that would have been out of order.

However, in my opinion, hair colour is a totally different league, and in my opinion fair game for a bit of banter. Equally if the joke had been he was dropped because he was bald, it would have been fine IMO.

So I think Horseface (borderline!), Shrek and Ginger are all ok. A lot of red heads are called "Ginger" by their mates. Its not as if it there's something wrong with you if you have red hair!
    He doesn't seem to upset when us Utd fans call him the ginger prince now does he????

• Advertisement

talla wrote:
    Lads, if yis want to discuss this any further no problem, open up a new thread here or in feedback, now bring the thread back on topic please.
    Ah, apologies. Had just been reading it from the start and have now seen this. No more comments from me here! Not sure if another thread was opened.

i just think that if two players challenge like that, if one gets the ball then it shouldnt be a peno.
    None of them did. Saha flicked the ball between the two players and Tiago one of those two came across and tripped him into Paulo Ferreira. He didn't get the ball. It should have been a penalty. But what can you say? Referee's are biased at Stamford Bridge. ;)

The Muppet wrote:

He said (I heard it on 5Live this morning) that he was close by and heard exactly what was said.

He said (I heard it on 5Live this morning) that he was close by and heard exactly what was said.
    He's just trying to stir sh*t up after Fergies comments yesterday afternoon. If he knows what has been said why doesn't he just come out and say it?

When Morinho says the referee "refereed the game in one way in the first half, and in another way in the second", he means that the referee was giving Chelsea all of the decisions in the in the first half (the way he thinks it should be) and in the second half he refereed the game appropriately and fair towards both teams (the way he doesn't want the refereeing to be). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

apart from the peno, i thought the officials had a good game. the linesmen made some good calls and the ref got a lot right(ronaldo's slip/dive might have been given another day). the added time was a bit harsh, i was expecting at least three if not four minutes.

but all in all i think mourinho is kicking up a fuss over nothing. his team had plenty of chances to win the game and they didnt. had they won one nil there would be no complaints from the chelsea camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Didn't see the game but lost €25 on the Liverpool/Chelski double. Thanks Chelski!

As for Moaninho's comments, saw them on the Beeb site ethis morning and laughed heartily. The boy is rattled (finally! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good result for United,. throughly deserved the draw.
    Defo Saha penalty, Ronaldo definately not.
    Ref was poor, gives Duff a decision where he was not touched, Saha was blocked and ignored it, indirect free kick should have been given at least, penalty may have been harsh.
    Drogba is a bit of moaner or else he had the dinner on at home and kept asking the ref to time the spuds for him

Mourinho, bit of a daft comment, will prob get a fine but not a lot in it.

On a side note, Drogba grabbed Fortune by the neck, so therefore rose his hand to his face, is this not similar to Rooneys?

yop wrote:
    On a side note, Drogba grabbed Fortune by the neck, so therefore rose his hand to his face, is this not similar to Rooneys?

Well Ronaldo also had a swing at Drogba when he turned around to pick the ball up :) But Drogba did grab Fortune and he was moaning an awful lot during the game too, perhaps rightly so about the time considering the messing from the united fans. I didn't like his big acrobatic roll on the ground when Heinze clipped him on the edge of the box either - he rolled over about 7 bloody times :rolleyes:

The FA aren't going to charge Mourinho, from BBC:

Mourinho to escape charge from FA

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will not face any Football Association action over the comments he made after their Carling Cup tie with Manchester United.
    Mourinho intimated that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson influenced referee Neale Barry after the duo walked down the tunnel together at half-time.

But an FA spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are not taking action over Mourinho.

"We have looked at the comments and we have decided that no further action is required. That is the end of it."

Mourinho was concerned that Ferguson's conversation with Barry was followed by an inconsistent display by the official.

"I see one referee in the first half and another in the second," said Mourinho.

"If the FA ask me what happened, I will tell them. What I saw and felt made it easier to understand a few things.

"Maybe when I turn 60 and have been managing in the same league for 20 years and have the respect of everybody I will have the power to speak to people and make them tremble a little bit.

"The referee controlled the game in one way during the first half but in the second they had dozens of free-kicks. It was fault after fault, dive after dive.

"But I know the referee did not walk to the dressing rooms alone at half-time. He should only have had his two assistants and the fourth official with him, but there was also someone else."

Referees chief Keith Hackett believes Mourinho should retract his comments about Ferguson and Barry as he believes the Blues boss has questioned their integrity.

"I'm hoping he might reconsider his comments, unfortunately this is the nature of the game," said Hackett.

"I don't want referees or myself getting in the psychological warfare between two managers. For the second leg we have an experienced referee, and we should be talking about the quality of that game rather than the refereeing.

"Sometimes managers have grounds for comments, and I note that, but a referees integrity has been questioned, that is offensive and should be avoided. Mr Mourinho should look at the facts."

Mourinho added that the match was entertaining for a goalless draw and insisted his team could still reach the final.

"It's 0-0, so if we win we go through and if we get a draw we go to extra time," he said.

"We have exactly the same chance we had before this game.

"We are confident of getting a result but we know what Manchester United is, a footballing power. It'll be difficult for us, but also for them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

just a small question to change the topic slightly, but will away goals count in the second leg? getting back on topic, sahas peno at first i thought he was looking for it but on the reply imo something should of been given!!! double D had a terrible game last night and i was surprised he stayed on for as long as he did!!! to many sloppy passes and gave the ball away way too much!!! fergie should of brought smith on with scholes and let rooney move up front with saha instead of having him out on the wing!!! united missed the width, playing the cross field ball was never really an option as there was hardly never anyone on the other wing!!! i thought the ref was poor in the first half gave a lot of 50/50 chances to chelsea but was better in the second half!!! the linesmen were spot on all night except for one or two decisions!!! i thought saha didnt look as sharp as he can be, mainly due to lack of matches but did very well considering he was been marked out of the game!!! heinze was excellent yet again and i thought o shea had a very good game as well, made one or two mistakes but all in all was very sturdy!!! silvestre was very dodgy a lot of bad passes and a few dodgy moments!!! all in all i was very happy with the draw and can see united going through!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Yep away goals count in the semi's.

• Advertisement

talla wrote:
    Yep away goals count in the semi's.

They count alright, but they dont count "double" like in European knockout games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I'm almost 100% sure they do actually count as double, but unlike Eurpean competitions it actually doesnt come into account until extra time. Thats the way it used to be, if however the silver goal is being used, obviously that rule will not be used anymore. Eirebhoy is probably the one to answer this, he's usually up to speed on all the various rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

After watching that match i wisj we could mix ronaldo and fletcher together.
    Ronaldo's ability to beat players and Fletchers final ball.

Whenever i see Ronaldo running at someone i know hes gonna beat him or something, with Fletcher im shouting at him to pass it. Then in the final third i wish ronaldo would give it to fletcher to play the ball in as i know he's pants at it.

Was a great result for united and am looking forward to the second leg (is that next week?? ). Mourinho got lucky cos it seems quite easy to get a fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Was a great result for united and am looking forward to the second leg (is that next week?? ).

The week after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Tuesday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i think both game are been played on the wednesday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jonny68 wrote:
    Have to laugh at some people`s predictions here with their 3-0/4-0 Chelski wins and its still scoreless with 20 mins left......... :rolleyes:
    I for one was expecting the team to be closer to the one which played against Arsenal:

Howard, Phil Neville, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune, Eagles (Rossi 79), Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Richardson, Kleberson (Jones 79), Bellion.
    Subs Not Used: Ricardo, Pique, Ebanks-Blake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

talla wrote:
    I'm almost 100% sure they do actually count as double, but unlike Eurpean competitions it actually doesnt come into account until extra time. Thats the way it used to be, if however the silver goal is being used, obviously that rule will not be used anymore. Eirebhoy is probably the one to answer this, he's usually up to speed on all the various rules.

i don't think they use away goals in the league cup semis anymore if the 2nd leg finishes 1:1 it goes to extra time then penalties

it's funny how all the Man U fans seems to be so delighted with such a hard fought draw , Man U had to play out of their skins for 90 mins with much desperate defending just to get the draw, with Chelsea's recent form at Old Trafford being so good and Utd likely having to play a more attacking home game and with away goals counting double ( I think) I still feel Chelsea are favourites to go through.

How times have changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

talla wrote:
    That's right. Away goals only count if it's level on aggergate AFTER extra-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

growler wrote:
    it's funny how all the Man U fans seems to be so delighted with such a hard fought draw , Man U had to play out of their skins for 90 mins with much desperate defending just to get the draw, with Chelsea's recent form at Old Trafford being so good and Utd likely having to play a more attacking home game and with away goals counting double ( I think) I still feel Chelsea are favourites to go through.

How times have changed!

Not really, remember that squad was not the first squad unlike the full strength Chelsea side that was paraded out. For example Fortune and O'Shea are no longer regulars in the main side - Djemba x2 and Fletcher are hardly a match made in heaven plus we had a different defensive pairing in the middle plus Rooney and Saha were just back from injury/suspension, Giggs was absent as was Ruud and Keane. It's been a feature of United this season to dominate games and still fail to score so this game was no different IMO. , it was on a plate for Chelsea IMO but they weren't up for it on the night. There'll be no autograph hunters on the pitch at OT to feed their ego's so I see Chelsea walking away with nothing then we'll see how fragile their resolve is.

I saw Lampard being interviewed on Sky this morning, what a conceited twat he is, he spoke about United like they were some 3rd division team who wouldn't give them the ball back so they could score the goals he thought they rightly deserved by birth-rite !!!

ZEN

growler wrote:

How times have changed!
    LOL. Are you serious?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

If United play like that again with a more attacking display they will go through.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    None of them did. Saha flicked the ball between the two players and Tiago one of those two came across and tripped him into Paulo Ferreira. He didn't get the ball. It should have been a penalty. But what can you say? Referee's are biased at Stamford Bridge. ;)

i could of sworn the ball came of ferreira shine.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    LOL. Are you serious?!

sure am.

Chelsea still have a lot more available to them , Man U might have been forced to play some non 1st team players so Jose ( in the spirit of fairness no doubt) used the opportunity to give Cole and Bridge a run out. Robben will be back for the OT game which will cause further defensive problems for Utd.

Zener it may have been on a plate for Chelsea but they were a bit unlucky not to have seen one of their efforts go in , 2 goal line clearances is annoying.

I do think if Man U play more attacking it will suit Chelsea down to the ground.

growler wrote:
    sure am.

Chelsea still have a lot more available to them , Man U might have been forced to play some non 1st team players so Jose ( in the spirit of fairness no doubt) used the opportunity to give Cole and Bridge a run out. Robben will be back for the OT game which will cause further defensive problems for Utd.

Zener it may have been on a plate for Chelsea but they were a bit unlucky not to have seen one of their efforts go in , 2 goal line clearances is annoying.

I do think if Man U play more attacking it will suit Chelsea down to the ground.
    Some non first teamers?! Let me see... Howard, P. Neville, O'Shea, Fortune, Djemba x2, Fletcher, Saha... If I done my sums correctly that would add up to 7 players, which is more than half the team. Anyone would be reasonably happy to get a result with 7 non first teamers against one of the top three teams in the League.

Not being given a stonewall penalty is quite annoying too I think you'll find.

We'll just have to see what happens at Old Trafford. I can't see United losing anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Who cares :)
    Its the league cup lads :)

Its not like we even have a rivalry with Chelsea, if it was Liverpool or City I'd be going for blood, but in all honasty, its the league cup, good for second teamers.
    Mourinho is, very cleverly, trying to put out a top team, so it will get other teams to do it, which will make it an important cup again.
    this will benefit him greatly, due to the size of his squad.
    Clever boy :)

Advertisement