Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB question

• 12-01-2005 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house soon, and I will need Internet access. Right now I have 802.11 equipment (PCI card + 19db Stella Doradus antenna), which gets me connected to a neighbour's DSL.
    I called a few wireless companies and I got an answer from IBB: they said Galway should be online in a week, and I could get Breeze or Ripwave.
    I cheked their website, and still don't know: what are these products about?
    What do you get installed in the house, and how do they work together?

All I know is that they need LoS, but they don't say if you get an antenna as part of the installation or not.

Can anyone explain how these products work?

Thanks,
    JP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i think one of them needs an antenna , the other doesnt,
    they supply the equipment to get connected
    neither work via wifi so that wont matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Ripwave, is a small wireless modem that does not require line of site. It's about the same size as an external modem and has a small aerial on it. (internal). 512/512 connection

Breeze requires the installation of a antenna externally usually attached to chimney and requires line of site to IBB high site. Breeze is available 1Mb/1Mb connection.

All equipment required is supplied by IBB. you don't need your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Adey2002 wrote:
    Ripwave, is a small wireless modem that does not require line of site. It's about the same size as an external modem and has a small aerial on it. (internal). 512/512 connection

Breeze requires the installation of a antenna externally usually attached to chimney and requires line of site to IBB high site. Breeze is available 1Mb/1Mb connection.

All equipment required is supplied by IBB. you don't need your own.
    ripwave is not 512/512 , its about 512/128 , they say they dont guarentee those speeds also, its UPTO 512/128

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

gline wrote:
    ripwave is not 512/512 , its about 512/128 , they say they dont guarentee those speeds also, its UPTO 512/128
    No company guarantees the connection above a bare minimum to my knowledge.
    In practical terms you do get 512/128 connection according to various customers on this forum.

CuLT wrote:
    No company guarantees the connection above a bare minimum to my knowledge.
    In practical terms you do get 512/128 connection according to various customers on this forum.
    Thats if you can get a connection at all with it and not a flashing red light like more than half the customers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JoyPad wrote:
    All I know is that they need LoS, but they don't say if you get an antenna as part of the installation or not.

Can anyone explain how these products work?

Thanks,
    JP

Ripwave is a box that sits on your desk that has non-line of sight connection to the IBB high-sites. It works kinda like a mobile phone in that you can use it indoors anywhere in your house, though certain parts of your house will offer better signal strength. IBB offer Ripwave at 512 downloads 128 uploads. There is contention on the line (sharing with other users) but I don't think it is any worse than Eircom or EsatBT (might be better).

Ripwave is not recommened for gaming as the latency is quite high (the time it takes the bits to flight through the air) in the region of 100 to 150 milliseconds which doesn't sound like a lot but it is when you are playing games and need quick responce (NB latency isn't anything to do with the download speed)

Breeze is IBB main product that is a Line of Sight product. They stick a small antenna on your roof and this points to the high site. They offer 1MB upload/download for home users. As far as I know this has a good reputation for gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I use breeze the 1mb line - testing variously gives me stats of (varies) 300/300 peaking at about 560/500

I find it decent enough, but you always want faster - gaming is rarely a problem (sometimes get high pings) but usually between 40 and 80

Hoping for NTL to come to my area soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Breeze with those pings.People and boards have posted Way lower.And those speeds are fairly slow 300/300/ i get that at the money.Well Download.my average is 426/119

I use breeze the 1mb line - testing variously gives me stats of (varies) 300/300 peaking at about 560/500

I find it decent enough, but you always want faster - gaming is rarely a problem (sometimes get high pings) but usually between 40 and 80

Hoping for NTL to come to my area soon....
    dude 300/300 or 560/500 sounds pretty bad no?? when i test mine it is usually the full meg download speed and upload in the evening, during the day they throttle it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

How do you mean they Thottle it

• Advertisement

How do you mean they Thottle it
    Lower your bandwidth during the day to insure the business users get the guarenteed speed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Man thats nasty. They dont sound as bad as digiweb but its still nasty. Do they just throttle the breeze lite product or anybody who has it at home?

AFAIK breeze lite is their only home product xcept ripwave (which i dont think they throttle), so yes home user products are throttled

Man thats bad.

to be honest i dont even notice that much and its not always that they throttle it, it means they CAN. and its never too bad.

gline wrote:
    to be honest i dont even notice that much and its not always that they throttle it, it means they CAN. and its never too bad.

I suppose your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think you're confusing traffic shaping with contention. Highly unlikely that IBB would bother applying traffic shaping when contention sorts it all out. And there's no reason why they would prioritise business users considering everyone pays the same for the same service.

i was just told they do that, and it does seem that way during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

i just tested again and got 120 / 154 !!!!!!!!!!!

Your download speed : 123460 bps, or 120 kbps.
    A 15 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 158636 bps, or 154 kbps.

this is pretty poor alrite - Im testing at http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest

thing is - i do little downloading - mostly gaming - which 80% of the time is fine

Anyone have somehwere else/another method to test upload/download? I'm keeping logs of my tests in case I need to get out of the contracct..... :eek: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'll also second the "IBB is crap again" point of view.

Download speeds have been ****e these last few days. I'm ringing em tomorrow about it. This is just wrong! :mad:

• Advertisement

where are you based? im near rathmines/ranelagh and speeds have been fine, full download speeds as usual

Last night it was as bad as I've seen it in a very long time. I was getting less than 5KB/s. Back to normality now, but it's nearly always fast in the mornings.

As for using poor performance to get out of your 12 month contract, good luck. They will say they only guarantee the minimum speed you get by dividing the advertised speed with the contention ratio.

plus i dont think they would recognize those online speed tests. Mine was fine lastnite, downloaed a few movies etc, it has never been as bad as 5 kb/s EVER, lowest i got before was about 80 kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Blaster99 wrote:
    Last night it was as bad as I've seen it in a very long time. I was getting less than 5KB/s.QUOTE]

They can't claim that that's acceptable, surely? Is that on the 1MB service?

I was getting 100+ KB/sec consistently before Christmas. All of a sudden 20KB/sec max. They said they "made some changes to my radio" which brought me up to 40KB/sec max.

It worries me that although something or some event must has caused this deterioration in my connection speed IBB either don't seem to know or else don't appear to want to figure out what that something is.

I can accept that speeds will be slow at times - you have to be realistic but 40KB/sec max is just not worth the money.

MackQ wrote:
    Blaster99 wrote:
    Last night it was as bad as I've seen it in a very long time. I was getting less than 5KB/s.QUOTE]

They can't claim that that's acceptable, surely? Is that on the 1MB service?

I was getting 100+ KB/sec consistently before Christmas. All of a sudden 20KB/sec max. They said they "made some changes to my radio" which brought me up to 40KB/sec max.

It worries me that although something or some event must has caused this deterioration in my connection speed IBB either don't seem to know or else don't appear to want to figure out what that something is.

I can accept that speeds will be slow at times - you have to be realistic but 40KB/sec max is just not worth the money.
    Yeh id agree that is unacceptable, you are paying for a 1 meg connection and can accept to get close to that most of the time, 80-90 + is acceptable but under 80 constantly is very bad, i would get on to them and complain again about that, its terrible

Yeah I'm on the "1Mbps" "service". 80KB/s would be a very good day on my connection. Probably around 50-60KB/s most of the time, often around 30KB/s. It depends on where I'm downloading from, though.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yeah I'm on the "1Mbps" "service". 80KB/s would be a very good day on my connection. Probably around 50-60KB/s most of the time, often around 30KB/s. It depends on where I'm downloading from, though.
    where are you living?? wat mast are u on?? im usually getting 125kb/s + all the time, very rarely drops, only during the day sometimes, could be a problem with the antenna u have, u on the new equipment?? when did you get it installed??

Advertisement