Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Artical]Morientes Deal Done

• 12-01-2005 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting.
    Source: Goal.com

1/12/2005 2:06:00 PM
    Liverpool have finally completed the deal to sign Fernando Morientes from Real Madrid.
    The Spanish striker is understood to have agreed a four-year deal with Rafael Benitez's side and will undergo a medical tomorrow.

"Real Madrid and Liverpool have reached an agreement for the transfer of Fernando Morientes to the English club for a total price of €9 million," read a statement on Real’s official website.

"This afternoon the player will travel to Liverpool to undergo a medical that he will have to take tomorrow morning.

"The club has also confirmed today that Fernando Morientes, accompanied by (vice president) Emilio Butragueno and (sporting director) Arrigo Sacchi will hold a press conference to announce his departure to the Premier League."

The 28-year-old could make his debut against Manchester United on Saturday.

Liverpool have been in need of a striker following the summer sale of Michael Owen and the Djibril Cisse's broken leg, while Morientes has seen little first team action at the Bernabeu, partly due to their purchase of Owen.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

More on Football.365

At last looks like he is on his way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

A Baros-Morientes partnership suddenly looks very promising :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm really delighted about this. As stupid as it may sound, I had some trouble getting to sleep last night after watching the post match press conference 'cos I was that hyped :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

About time. Now for a Morientes hat-trick against the Mancs on Saturday.

From Liverpoolfc.tv

CONFIRMED: REDS AGREE FEE WITH REAL

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that a fee has been agreed with Real Madrid for the transfer of striker Fernando Morientes.
    Personal terms must now be agreed with the player and a medical arranged before the deal is completed.

Real Madrid have also confirmed the deal and are planning to hold a press conference in Spain to announce his departure.

Liverpool remain hopeful of the deal being completed in time for Morientes to make his debut against Manchester United this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

wasnt going to get the away jersey but gotta put his name somewhere :P anyone know what number he is gonna be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mayordenis wrote:
    anyone know what number he is gonna be??
    Hold your horses, he still has to sign. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Hold your horses, he still has to sign. :)

but that is all he has to do, i honestly cant see any other outcome

can you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I would say he has signed! would be a good signing! Baros needs a player like Morientas playing alongside him like Koller does for Cezh Republic.....Liverpool mite actually get in CL next season! only prob is Morientas cant play tis season in CL for you so I would say they will be out in next round!

i think one of the most crucial things about him signing is that the likes of risse, kewell, finnan and especially nunez's crosses will be met by a head that will put it in the net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like a good signing, but I wouldn't go expecting great things too quickly, remember he has never played in the premiership before, give him a few games to settle in, I'm sure he plays Saturday he will find it tough against Rio.

Question now is, when Cisse comes back will they be able to hold onto the 3 quality strikers.

Also I wonder have Real managed to get a first option clause on Gerrard included??

irish1 wrote:
    Also I wonder have Real managed to get a first option clause on Gerrard included??

No, Liverpool wouldn't give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

irish1 wrote:
    Looks like a good signing, but I wouldn't go expecting great things too quickly, remember he has never played in the premiership before, give him a few games to settle in, I'm sure he plays Saturday he will find it tough against Rio.

I'm sure as the top goalscorer in last season's Champions League, he'll manage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shred wrote:
    No, Liverpool wouldn't give it to them.
    Thats what they said, but I think Real would have fought hard for it and hard to see them saying ok so quickly.

As for Morientes being the top scorer in the Champions well thats a little different to the premier league, just ask an Arsenal fan :D

Also Cisse is a great player but never really reached top form before he was injured. I'm just saying give him time, coz I'm sure you'll have people on here slamming him if he doesn't score in his first few games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

mayordenis wrote:
    anyone know what number he is gonna be??

Don't quote me on that though - he wanted 10 so Garcia might be asked to change his number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great singing by liverpool and I must say im a bit jealous, would have loved to see him in an arsenal shirt.

And 6.2 million thats a big bargin imo when you consider [edit]Rooney[/edit] costs 25 million

{edit: Is saying shrek an banning offense now?}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I hope Nunez holds his hand through the first training session...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

When you include alleged wages of 44K a week the transfer cost is £16M. I think at best he will be on the bench on Saturday - he might be thrown on for 2nd half to rescue the 3 goal deficit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I think its a great signing for Liverpool, I think Morientes is one of the best players around linking the midfield and attack and he can can also play the target man and hold up the ball. I think this signing could be the making of the Liverpool team. Just hope the Spanish injury jinx doesnt hit Liverpool again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

Should be a good signing. Very happy right now. I dont expect him to score shed loads of goals though. His movement and physicallity will provide Baros with a lot more chances. I mean we've been doing ok with Mellor up front we can only do better with a proven International class striker. Thank god we got him anyway, at the very least it means Yakubu(or mini Titi Camara) won't be coming anywhere near Melwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

This is a great signing for Liverpool, the match on Saturday might come to soon for him though. I reckon he'll start on the bench.

kida wrote:
    When you include alleged wages of 44K a week the transfer cost is £16M a month.

your math skills are excellent

44,000 a week x4 = 16,000,000 a month

I just heard he is out for a month. He has blood poisoning after stabbing himself with a pencil while signing the contract. :D

kida wrote:
    I just heard he is out for a month. He has blood poisoning after stabbing himself with a pencil while signing the contract. :D
    Really? any links?

kida wrote:

your comedy is lost on me

mayordenis wrote:
    your math skills are excellent

44,000 a week x4 = 16,000,000 a month

never was good at maths :p

mayordenis wrote:
    your comedy is lost on me

Was a reply to tallas comment about Spanish Injury Jinx ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Kida lay off the valium :confused:;)

kida wrote:
    There's still a few inconsistancies though. It's a bit quick to be diagnosing blood poisoning I would have thought. Also he hasn't signed anything yet... :o

• Advertisement

kida wrote:

oh right, but still dont toy with my emotions :mad:

jank wrote:
    Kida lay off the valium :confused:;)
    Its actually Cortozone.....

Off Topic - Many a day and night I spent "Huddled over a computer in the CA Labs in DCU." long time ago though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mr_angry wrote:
    I'm sure as the top goalscorer in last season's Champions League, he'll manage. :)

thats true he is proven at the highest level but the premiership is more rough and tumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

d22ontour wrote:
    thats true he is proven at the highest level but the premiership is more rough and tumble

hes a big powerful player though, so he wil manage grand. unlike garcia whos a big girls blouse and should be playing in the womens league.

d22ontour wrote:

chelsea are a premiership team and he made them look like schmucks i feel for once that i can be completely confident that he will be a big hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mayordenis wrote:
    chelsea are a premiership team and he made them look like schmucks i feel for once that i can be completely confident that he will be a big hit

he is a top player thats for sure but playing chelsea in europe is hardly the same as playing them in the prem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres a difference between scoring in the big games and scoring in the league week in week out, and hes only shown once he can do that.

However I think he will show it this year even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

is cesar still part of the transfer?

d22ontour wrote:
    he is a top player thats for sure but playing chelsea in europe is hardly the same as playing them in the prem

no its not even similar same team, same venue 1000 miles away because when chelsea play in the CL they dont tackle and the also arent as strong or as fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

another reason i am delighted with this is that it means we wont be signing anelka!

is cesar still part of the transfer?
    Haven't heard anything but I doubt it. I think it would be mentioned if he was and also it seemed yesterday we were stepping up our interest in Leeds's young keeper (Carson I think he's called).

Maybe they're still going after Cesar in the background - I had heard we offered a 6 month contract which was rejected by the player. No idea how true that is however, it seems to me ludicrous to offer only 6 months to a young player.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Haven't heard anything but I doubt it. I think it would be mentioned if he was and also it seemed yesterday we were stepping up our interest in Leeds's young keeper (Carson I think he's called).

Maybe they're still going after Cesar in the background - I had heard we offered a 6 month contract which was rejected by the player. No idea how true that is however, it seems to me ludicrous to offer only 6 months to a young player.

Eh Cesar is actually 33! I read during the week that he would consider coming to Liverpool if he was offered a longer contract. I also saw earlier that Chelsea are interested in Carson too

From Skysports:

Carson in, Carlo out?

Chelsea are reportedly ready to offload Carlo Cudicini after inching ahead in the race to land Scott Carson from Leeds.

The West London big spenders are expected to bring England Under-21 star Carson to Stamford Bridge in the next few days, despite interest from Liverpool.

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell has resigned himself to the sale and is expected to accept an offer in the region of £750,000.

Rafa Benitez is ready to fight for the player's signature but it is expected that Mourinho will win the race for the 19-year-old.

If Chelsea do, as expected, complete a deal for Carson, Cudicini is likely to be allowed to return to Italy.

The talented 31-year-old has seen himself usurped this term by Petr Cech and is reportedly looking for a move to rejuvenate his career.

Despite previously having been linked with a move to both Manchester United and Arsenal, it is thought that he will not be allowed to move to another English club.

If Carson does go to Chelsea perhaps Liverpool can bring Cudicini to Anfield instead! He's a great keeper IMO

Shred wrote:
    Eh Cesar is actually 33! I read during the week that he would consider coming to Liverpool if he was offered a longer contract. I also saw earlier that Chelsea are interested in Carson too
    Lol :D I never checked but presumed he was a young keeper :o

Yeah, there's several clubs interested in Carson - unless Chelsea offer stupid money putting us out of the race we can offer him the better liklihood of getting near the team I feel.

<edit>

any chance of cudicini coming to us if Chelsea get Carson?

p.pete wrote:
    Yeah, there's several clubs interested in Carson - unless Chelsea offer stupid money putting us out of the race we can offer him the better liklihood of getting near the team I feel.

This is true. The only hope another keeper will have of getting into the Chelsea team is if Chech gets injured. Cudicini can't even get his game and, as I said above, he's a great keeper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Shame Morientes was a good striker, another player to be ruined at anfield ;)

yop wrote:
    Shame Morientes was a good striker, another player to be ruined at anfield ;)

United Supporter perhaps ??

Roll on Saturday .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"United Supporter perhaps ??

Roll on Saturday "

Me, God no! Stockport for the league ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Could be a nice bet on him to score 1st , man utd to win 2-1.

kdjac

Advertisement